The Legendry Tommy Cunliffe 1919

I've just found out that my great grandfather Tommy Cunliffe played for Oldham back in 1919. I've got some basic details about him from www.since1888.co.uk (which I believe is based on the book 'Professional League Player's Records 1888-1939' by Mike Joyce). I've also got his marriage certificate from 1907 and his entry in the 1911 census, both of which show his occupation as professional footballer. The above website shows he played for Oldham in 1919 and Blackburn Rovers in 1905. He also played for various non-league sides, including Audenshaw, Hooley Hill, Earlestown, St Helens Recreation, Chorley and Mossley.

Is there anyone who can provide me with any information on Tommy Cunliffe, or point me in the right direction? I'd love to learn more about him.

Thanks

cavasta

From Oldham Athletic Complete Record 1899-1988 by Garth Dykes

" 1919-1920.

Outside Left 5ft 7ins 10st 12lbs Born Ashton-u-Lyne 1890

Debut v Manchester City(home) 1st Sept 1919

Appearances 2

Career: Altrincham,Liverpool Feb 1916;Latics 11th Aug 1919 until 1920

Tommy Cunliffe was not particulary fast for a winger but he possessed excellent ball control.He was greeted in the local press as a welcome addition

to the attack,who last season performed well for Liverpool at outside left after spending part of the season at Altrincham.

In his season at BP he failed to hold his place after an early debut. George Wall being the usual choice "

From Oldham Athletic Complete Record 1899-1988 by Garth Dykes

" 1919-1920.

Outside Left 5ft 7ins 10st 12lbs Born Ashton-u-Lyne 1890

Debut v Manchester City(home) 1st Sept 1919

Appearances 2

Career: Altrincham,Liverpool Feb 1916;Latics 11th Aug 1919 until 1920

Tommy Cunliffe was not particulary fast for a winger but he possessed excellent ball control.He was greeted in the local press as a welcome addition

to the attack,who last season performed well for Liverpool at outside left after spending part of the season at Altrincham.

In his season at BP he failed to hold his place after an early debut. George Wall being the usual choice "

Thanks very much for that Bertie. Much appreciated.

I reckon from the information contained in the 'since1888' website, Bertie's information, and what I already know about him that there were two professional footballers at the time called Tommy Cunliffe. All the information from 'since1888' lists just one TC and says that he played for all the clubs I mentioned in my earlier post. However, I know TC was born around 1886/1887. This has been established from census entries and his marriage certificate. Bertie's information shows that the TC who played for Oldham was born in 1890. Hmm. Back to the drawing board.

I reckon from the information contained in the 'since1888' website, Bertie's information, and what I already know about him that there were two professional footballers at the time called Tommy Cunliffe. All the information from 'since1888' lists just one TC and says that he played for all the clubs I mentioned in my earlier post. However, I know TC was born around 1886/1887. This has been established from census entries and his marriage certificate. Bertie's information shows that the TC who played for Oldham was born in 1890. Hmm. Back to the drawing board.

You might not be a million miles away mate. I know when my dad did some digging and the 'less formal' records can have bits out of place.

Just found this on the Mossley AFC website:

"Tommy Cunliffe: Born Wigan 1886. Outside Left who started as a schoolboy with Audenshaw in 1898 moving on to join Hooley Hill FC in 1902, then Earlestown in March 1905. A year later he joined Blackburn Rovers but was released and joined St Helens Recreation in June 1907. He joined Liverpool between February 1916 & October 1917 (playing 57 games in the Lancashire Combination) before moving to Altrincham. Signed by Oldham Athletic from August 1919 to June 1920, playing just 2 games for the "Latics" and on his release he joined Mossley."

The year of birth (1886) tallies with what I know about my great grandfather but does not square with Bertie's information (born Ashton-u-Lyne 1890). Everything else seems to though.....

Just found this on the Mossley AFC website:

"Tommy Cunliffe: Born Wigan 1886. Outside Left who started as a schoolboy with Audenshaw in 1898 moving on to join Hooley Hill FC in 1902, then Earlestown in March 1905. A year later he joined Blackburn Rovers but was released and joined St Helens Recreation in June 1907. He joined Liverpool between February 1916 & October 1917 (playing 57 games in the Lancashire Combination) before moving to Altrincham. Signed by Oldham Athletic from August 1919 to June 1920, playing just 2 games for the "Latics" and on his release he joined Mossley."

The year of birth (1886) tallies with what I know about my great grandfather but does not square with Bertie's information (born Ashton-u-Lyne 1890). Everything else seems to though.....

As I was saying mate. These days we take for granted the data we have at our fingertips. Back then it wasn't uncommon for people who genuinly didn't know what year they were born.

From my own experience of searching through Census returns it is worth commenting that Age details were quite often rounded up or down to the nearest five years to speed up the Census Return.

As already quoted, people were sometimes unsure of their DOB's and a lot could still not read nor write.

So unless you have his birth certificate then his age on the 1911 Census could be questionable.