Joe Royle - The Autobiography

I thought since Joe has been appointed our manager that it'd be good to read through his autobiography again to get to know the guy again, plus work was very quiet this week!

When he was first here I never got chance to fully appreciate what was going on, my first season supporting the club was in the 'Pinch Me' season. Only a few seasons later he was gone! I have lots of memories from that time but I never fully understood things that went on. Reading the book again has only increased my excitement for 3pm Saturday to come round!

From reading it again I feel we couldn't have a better manager at the helm now. He mentions somewhere that he believes that is no right formula to football management just a series of yes' and no's and the ability to get the majority of these correct. Whatever happens between now and the end of the season the club will have improved for the better. Whether it be his good eye for a player, his man-management, his ability to identify problems with the team (Everton's Dogs of War, Andy Morrison at City, Westlake in midfield?), his attacking football and to get the best out of poor players and even better out of the best. He is not afraid either to make the tough the decisions for the good of the club.

Every club he has been to he has left them in a much better state than when he arrived, not just in terms of position but the actual state of the club. Every club he has been to he has arrested the slide and without him things could be much worse for every club.

If you have some spare time tonight and have a copy of the book have a read of it, it's brought me upto speed on what to expect in at least the next couple of months. I cannot wait for it to begin tomorrow!

He hates 'cess-pit' messageboards though!

I have to admit, I really struggled to make it through his autobiography as it was pretty slow at times as I had to skip large parts of it. Its not as dull as Redders' autobiography though which is even worse.

ditto. i had to skip his city days too. :wink::grin:

i still remember watching my dad cry when we sacked jimmy frizz.and i still remember watching my dad cry when the boys, led by joe took to the hollow turf of wembley and if my dad was still here i think id be watching him cry tomorrow..

Sorry to hear that your Dad isn't here to see the return of Joe tomorrow, but seeing as I cried when Sir Jimmy was sacked and didn't quite manage to keep my cheeks dry when I saw the mass of Blue and White at Wembley - I will offer to be your Dad for the day tomorrow.

Please bring a hankie :wink: