Out with the old, in with the new

Stephens, Lee and Alessandra for starting spots next game. We have the poorest work rate in the division, we're too quick to get rid of the ball when we get it....we always try that looping through ball which ALWAYS fails. The fact is our midfield is poor, look at our 4 main central midfielders, they've come from teams who have been (or virtually are) relegated to league two; Allott, Whitaker, Maher and Westlake. We need quality in midfield. We have young players, who are supposedly talented, so why don't they get a game? What has Lewis done wrong? What did Lee and Stephens do?

We need to shift the dead wood and certainly revoke that contract we offered Hughes, offer him a new deal but don't pay him 4k a week, because he really isn't worth it.

Ian Moore is not a great striker, neither is Bas Savage, but their work rate gave our defence the run around and caused us problems. Bring in the players who have desire, the ones who will run with the ball, who aren't afraid when they're in possession.

We're just getting outworked and outworked everytime.

My starting line up for next game:

--------------Fleming (if back)-------------

Eardley-----Gregan-----Rubes--------Jones

Smalley-----Lee---------Stephens----Taylor

---------Alessandra------Hughes-----------

I don't see any reason why not? Okay so what if Lee and Stephens end up being pish and we lose 5-0? But at least we'd know, at least we've tried something rather than just field slow midfield players and get beat 2-0.

Who knows, what if that team found chemistry (something this team lack!) we could go on a run, the seasons not over, but it is if we keep with the same, slow midfield who are incapable of passing or moving forward with the ball.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

I'm not convinced that these super players Stephens and Lee are the answer.

They can't be pulling up many trees in training or in reserve games to not even be getting on the bench.

I think Joe will be desperate to try and bring in another couple of loanees this week after seeing what he has to work with today.

Edited by Hometownclub

Stephens, Lee and Alessandra for starting spots next game. We have the poorest work rate in the division, we're too quick to get rid of the ball when we get it....we always try that looping through ball which ALWAYS fails. The fact is our midfield is poor, look at our 4 main central midfielders, they've come from teams who have been (or virtually are) relegated to league two; Allott, Whitaker, Maher and Westlake. We need quality in midfield. We have young players, who are supposedly talented, so why don't they get a game? What has Lewis done wrong? What did Lee and Stephens do?

We need to shift the dead wood and certainly revoke that contract we offered Hughes, offer him a new deal but don't pay him 4k a week, because he really isn't worth it.

Ian Moore is not a grear striker, neither is Bas Savage, but their work rate gave our defence the run around and caused us problems. Bring in the players who have desire, the ones who will run with the ball, who aren't afraid when they're in possession.

We're just getting outworked and outworked everytime.

My starting line up for next game:

--------------Fleming (if back)-------------

Eardley-----Gregan-----Rubes--------Jones

Smalley-----Lee---------Stephens----Taylor

---------Alessandra------Hughes-----------

I don't see any reason why not? Okay to Lee and Stephens end up being pish and we lose 5-0.

Okay, but at least we'd know, at least we've tried something rather than just field slow midfield players and get beat 2-0.

Who knows, what if that team found chemistry (something this team lack!) we could go on a run, the seasons not over, but it is if we keep with the same, slow midfield who are incapable of passing or moving forward with the ball.

well said biggest issue for me though is the defence get rid of gregan, stam is finished and no youngsters coming through, we need another trotman coming from our reserves

Edited by shaw_blue

I'm not convinces that these super players Stephens and Lee are the answer.

They can't be pulling up many trees in training or in reserve games to not even be getting on the bench.

But Allott/Maher/Whitaker/Westlake are?

I'd rather lose when we tried something new than just keep playing the slow static players who get over ran all the time and still lose. Maybe a combination of one of these yard dogs and Lee/Stephens would do the trick. Something has to change.

Neal Trotman didn't get a sniff in until we were forced to play him, we loaned him out to Halifax! He came in and now he's with a Championship club (on loan at Northampton though). The same could go for Lee and Stephens, after a stretch out games they may turn out be an awesome pairing. We don't know until we play them.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

I'm not convinced that these super players Stephens and Lee are the answer.

I think Joe will be desperate to try and bring in another couple of loanees this week after seeing what he has to work with today.

what reserve games

throw them in, why not, what have we to lose

Guest sheridans_world

Yes, I was wondering when I'd get to use the vouchers in my season ticket book.

We dont have any reserve games for me to use them!

this end of season will mark the usual culling of deadwood and useless.

whoevers in charge next season will have a new team to build...half of these just ain't good enough.

It won't be the first time, however. A nearly new squad every season did nothing to bring about progress in the recent past, which is why we were all so relieved that Sheridan was being given a chance to build a settled squad this time around.

The trouble is that, at this level, you're largely shuffling the same large pool of mostly mediocre players even for third-tier football. And with the smaller budget that's been hinted at if (when) we don't go up, aren't these likely to be drawn from amongst the more mediocre of the mediocre? The only hope lies in Joe, or another manager, who may able to get the best out of a bad bunch, and a club culture of absolute commitment to the cause, being created. The latter factor, in particular, is a tall order, especially when you consider that players move about so much nowadays that one club must be much the same as another to most of them.

Let's hope that rumours of additional investment coming in turn out to be true.

It won't be the first time, however. A nearly new squad every season did nothing to bring about progress in the recent past, which is why we were all so relieved that Sheridan was being given a chance to build a settled squad this time around.

The trouble is that, at this level, you're largely shuffling the same large pool of mostly mediocre players even for third-tier football. And with the smaller budget that's been hinted at if (when) we don't go up, aren't these likely to be drawn from amongst the more mediocre of the mediocre? The only hope lies in Joe, or another manager, who may able to get the best out of a bad bunch, and a club culture of absolute commitment to the cause, being created. The latter factor, in particular, is a tall order, especially when you consider that players move about so much nowadays that one club must be much the same as another to most of them.

Let's hope that rumours of additional investment coming in turn out to be true.

All depends, if big joe decided to stay and we manage to sell a few more season tickets as a result of this, then budget may be the same

All depends, if big joe decided to stay and we manage to sell a few more season tickets as a result of this, then budget may be the same

Let's hope so. But the problem of assembling a side able and willing to play with skill and commitment, in a game where this matters less and less for 90% of players, will remain. This squad looks decent enough for this level on paper, as we've said all season, but they only play when they feel like it.

Isn't it striking the way that, as footballers wages soared, the neccesity to do well and achieve something has declined, along with meaningful competition at all levels of the game?

Let's hope so. But the problem of assembling a side able and willing to play with skill and commitment, in a game where this matters less and less for 90% of players, will remain. This squad looks decent enough for this level on paper, as we've said all season, but they only play when they feel like it.

Isn't it striking the way that, as footballers wages soared, the neccesity to do well and achieve something has declined, along with meaningful competition at all levels of the game?

I would like to think that if we can get rid of Leeds, Leicester and Millwall from this division next season, then we may still be in with half a chance next year depending on players brought in and budget.

Was having a convo with wardlelatic, although some of the clubs struggling in the championship have a much bigger fanbase than ours admittedly (ie norwich selling 18k season tickets for next season already), southampton, watford, charlton are all in a financially dire state and relegation is only going to make that a whole lot worse, hence cant see any of them shelling out much on new players.

what reserve games

throw them in, why not, what have we to lose

We have organised and played several reserve games which both Stephens and Lee have played in, reports on here have suggested neither has been playing so well that they could not possibly be left out of the first team.

They are both young players who were bought very much with the future in mind.

They train 4/5/6 days a week, the coaching staff and management will be very aware of what they can do and have assessed them not to be ready yet or I'm sure we will have seen them in the first team or at least on the bench.

As :censored:e as some on this thread believe Allott/Maher/Whittaker/Westlake to be, I'm sure they are in front of Stephens and Lee for a reason, they are judged to be better players at this moment in time.

I suspect if we threw them in as some have suggested we would just lose by more goals.

As :censored:e as some on this thread believe Allott/Maher/Whittaker/Westlake to be, I'm sure they are in front of Stephens and Lee for a reason, they are judged to be better players at this moment in time.

I suspect if we threw them in as some have suggested we would just lose by more goals.

It's a fair call.

I have always realised that a great strike duo is important and a great defensive partnership is important.

I also thought, at the start of the season, we had cracked the midfield problem. Allott and Whitaker looked a great pairing. Hughes and Alessandra were gelling. Gregan and Hazell looked right. A bit wobbly in the full back areas, but Taylor and Liddell looked the part out wide.

We really should be in the top two.