Terminator Salvation

Just been to see Terminator Salvation today

Better than the third installment, but not by much, this film screams out being toned down and edited just to make the 12 certificate.

And as for the Arnie cameo, very poorly done!!!!

Not a bad film but could and should have been a hell of alot better.

Just been to see Terminator Salvation today

Better than the third installment, but not by much, this film screams out being toned down and edited just to make the 12 certificate.

And as for the Arnie cameo, very poorly done!!!!

Not a bad film but could and should have been a hell of alot better.

Firstly - I'd add in the title of this thread there may be a few spoilers! :wink:

Nah, sorry Carl - not having that... thinbk you are being a little unfair to even mention it in the same breath as the third installment...

Now, this film aint perfect, but for an hour it is pretty much as spot on target as you could want. I loved the tone of the beggining, the first attack on the radar array is tense and sets up how bleak it is going to be, as does the first time you meet Wright and Reese (Yelchin for me is superb - the best actor in it) - and the scene with the Human Gatherer/Mototerminator is just sodding brilliant....

The problems for me come when it goes into finale mode and loses its way a little (strangely in a very similar way to the incredibly mediocre and over-hyped IMO Star Trek earlier this year) ... the arnie bit is shoehorned in as you say (but not that bad - worth it for how they belt out the music when he arrives!) and you cant help but think that if you were attcking the head base of skynet that there may be a little more than 1 T-800 defending it! Its also far too tidy for me at the end... this redemption thread is very un-terminator... and i'd love to have seen them do something a little dangerous and kill off Connor and put wright in charge for the next two films... (Bale did annoy me slightly.... he is starting to get very typecast as the gruff shouty intense action hero...)

As you say though - the biggest issue is its age certificate - although not that bad, there is an 18 film screaming to be let out... I would have loved to have seen what actually happens at the human 'flesh farms' - and if you notice, you dont actually see anyone die in the whole film, again, would have loved to have seen a few people get really ripped to shreds by a few terminators... but hey, that may just be me....

However...... I really really enjoyed it. I'm sure it will be a box office smash, which means the sequel will be given the green light, and I always think that you only really see what a franchise like this can do in the second film when the actually get given the budget and freedom to do what they want... but for me, the ideas in this film do take the series forward, and a good companion to the first two - and much much better than the third.... and looking forward to seeing how they evolve this, hopefully they will be able to take it darker in the future...

For me... the best of the blockbusters so far... better than the pitiful Wolverine, and the vastly dissapointing Star-Trek (which like terminator starts well and ends awfully) - 4/5

:)

Edited by BigfinLatic

Saw it this afternoon. Not sure which film you all watched but I thought it was gash. Really really awful. 1/5

McG gets his bloody name on three times in the opening credits. Good work! :lol:

First 10 minutes are good. The helicopter crash with Connor is wonderfully shot. Really nice. Shame it falls apart at that point. Actually before that too with the dreadful voice over giving you a mission briefing (see Cloverfeild for how to do that right).

The human/terminator guy who's name I didn't even bother to learn climbs out of that ginormous explosion without a scratch. Acceptable, as he's a T. But then throughout the remainder of the film he gets cut etc and responds as a human. Dreadful.

The dialougue is wooden and forced throughout. So bad that at several points they've had to use cutaways and post production dubs to recover it. Giving it an 80's B movie feel.

The giant chasing robot seems to give up chasing a car doing 30mph for some reason only to reappear later on to catch them. It's super accurate laser cannon seems to break too, what a bugger. For that matter I don't recall a single T hitting a target in the entire film.

There's more in the middle but I lost interest in the :censored:ty story arc to be honest.

The ending... he gets into the Skynet - home of all things T - by walking in. OK, artistic licence... he then potters about inside where there is, it seems NO T's. He then encounters an inept T which instead of crushing his head with it's hands, shooting him with a gun or killing him in about another 100 available ways decides to throw him around the place a little. He then potters about some more. Gets thrown about some more. All this comotion apparently not being noticed by the other... oh wait there are no other T's! T then kills Human-T by punching him in the heart only for that heart to be magically brought back to life by the electric shock.

Oh, and Human-T uses his brain to rip the head off baddy-T - genius!

So, all this shenanigans and they manage to get to the chopper (which is the last one, the others all escaped without incident or attack from a single T) and set off a nuclear bomb which they out run in a :censored:ing helicopter!! ARE YOU MENTAL!?!

Then despite there having been numerous casualties, one would assume, during these shenanigans they take the heart from a perfectly healthy guy to save Connor. No one seems to have a moral objection to this madness and they conduct this lifesaving oporation without being attack from the T's (I guess that with him dead there's none left? Or they're too stupid to follow a helicopter as it potters off) in a desert in a tent.

Really. I give films a chance. I accept that sometimes you need licence and what not to make a picture, especially sci-fi, work on some level. But this was shocking. Really bad.

They tried to retain the mentality of one/two T's like they did in the previous films. But that worked because they were in the past and they were the only ones. This was supposed to be about a WAR and there were only 2 T's!?!

Awful. Rant Over.