Lol...knew you'd be posting on this one...

Oh....and I'm sure I can be corrected if I'm wrong but I'd say from 1996/7 up to the time of Warne arriving here I think he'd be about 3rd or 4th on our top scorers list over that period. Can only think of Allott matching with 9 goals, Wijnhard and Beckett being ahead. Not bad really for a player who isn't meant to be a prolific scorer and had a partner banging in 20+ goals (courtesy of Warnes help). You must be worried over us signing Abbott if goal-scoring records are something a striker ULTIMATELY lives and dies by.

A striker will always be judged on his scoring record - as many managers will and have said over years.

The assists etc that Warne provided were not ignored or not seen, I just felt that at the time we signed him, we were getting him on the back of a very 'average career' though he did fit into the style of football we played then :wink:

As for worried about Abbott - Warnes record of 56 goals in 458 games, compared to Abbotts 77 in 213 games, i know which i'd rather us take a gamble on.

I think we are all aware of Abbotts potential problems - his fitness. If he's kept/stays fit - he will score goals and create assists, if not - he'll be another for our unhappy clappers......

Some of this is a bit harsh on Warne I think...

I always rated him as a footballer; he'd played at a higher level and that showed in his touch. What he didn't have was a goal-scoring edge, but he probably wasn't a striker ideally.

Great attitude, and along with G-Mac is one of the sort of personalities that make successful clubs. However, his time has passed and we shouldn't even consider having him back.

Some of this is a bit harsh on Warne I think...

I always rated him as a footballer; he'd played at a higher level and that showed in his touch. What he didn't have was a goal-scoring edge, but he probably wasn't a striker ideally.

Great attitude, and along with G-Mac is one of the sort of personalities that make successful clubs. However, his time has passed and we shouldn't even consider having him back.

He only became a striker when he came to us

used to play right-wing for rotherham i think

I wouldnt mindf him back on a one year contract with him earning a good few hundred quid a week. He gives 100% committment and when losing runs around like a headless chicken more than usual - which is exactly what we want. People say abbott is lazy, well heres a guy who can do all the runnin about

we had 11 headless chickens last season and look were that got us

ohh dear

+1

And while we're at it I hear David Eyres doesnt have a club, maybe he could do a job for us.....

Like some on here, why are we even having this discussion, he is not good enough for us, hes 36 and in all honesty probably past it at this level

Look forwards man, not backwards