JJ/Furman old connections

Dean looking forward to playing with old opponent and fellow red sea pedestrian according to the often read Jewish Chronicle.

OLDHAM Athletic new boy Dean Furman is looking forward to teaming up with fellow newcomer Joe Jacobson at Boundary Park.

The 21-year-old signed a three-year deal with the Latics this week after moving from Glasgow Rangers.

He had spent last season on-loan at League Two side Bradford City.

Dean, who was born in Cape Town, South Africa, but brought up in London, told Sportsworld: "It is good that Joe has also moved here, as we have played against each other quite a lot and have always kept in touch."

Jacobson arrived in Lancashire last week after moving from Bristol Rovers.

Dean, who celebrated his 21st birthday last week, could have stayed at Bradford permanently and was also offered terms with other clubs, but was impressed with what he saw at Oldham.

He said: "Playing League Two with Bradford was a good experience and now I cannot wait to step up another level."

He started his career with Chelsea, before joining the Glasgow giants three years ago.

But despite being a regular in the Ibrox side's reserve team, he made just one appearance for Walter Smith's men, before heading to Valley Parade, where he made 33 appearances last season.

Dean, who revealed he will be looking for an apartment in Manchester city centre, has already been called up to the full South Africa squad, but has yet to win his first cap for his country of birth.

And with Joel Santana's side hosting next year's World Cup, could Dean see himself lining up against the planet's best players in 2010?

"Obviously I would love to play for South Africa at the World Cup, but at the moment, I just planning on getting my head down and concentrating on doing well for Oldham," Dean added.