North West Masters 2009

Ackey

OWTB_report_banner.jpg

So after the nightmare that was the last third of the 2008/09 season, we look ahead with renewed optimism as pre-season starts in earnest this week. However, before we get too carried away on a wave of summer optimism I want you to humour me a while whilst I reminisce. Yes folks it is Masters time again and if last year was anything to go by, we are in for another fabulous day of boozing and total football, a throwback to when the players wearing the famous royal blue actually gave a toss. Anyone who was there last year knows the raw emotion of the day – it was only a few days after Ernie's passing and a combination of good weather, copious amounts of cheap alcohol, our first involvement in the tournament and wanting to convey our sympathies to Ernie and his friends and family meant that the although Oldham Athletic were runners up in the 2008 tournament, we were clearly the winners carrying the tournament on and off the blue carpet.

MastersTeam.png

So what this year? Well we're going back and surely it can't be as good? Never write-off Latics fans, we'll have competition from the Dingles who are on the crest of a wave after promotion but one thing is for sure come 8pm our vocal chords will have been well and truly oiled! There are a couple of changes to the line-up this year but just who are the nine players that will represent Oldham Athletic as 'Masters' and how do they fit into the history of Latics??? In goal will be Andy Rhodes an enigmatic character capable of breathtaking saves yet letting in the softest goals you will ever see, usually within two or three minutes of each other! He arrived from Doncaster Rovers in March 1988 for a fee of around £50,000, he was signed as the replacement for the talented but wayward Andy Gorton. I have two abiding memories of Rhodesy, the first was him playing a blinder in a Littlewoods Cup replay against Everton on a filthy night at Boundary Park in November 1988, with six minutes to go it was still 0-0, Latics had done everything but score, Kevin Sheedy hit one of his trademark left-foot pile drivers Rhodesy could only parry the shot, I was clinging to the Chaddy End fence as British football's record transfer Tony Cottee buried the rebound as Rhodesy scrambled to his feet and looked in horror as he just failed to grab the ball of the diminutive striker's toes. The second moment was again a cup-tie, this time at Wembley, Joe Royle had rotated his keeper's all season, rather harshly Jon Hallworth had been dropped for the Littlewoods Cup Final despite playing in every other League Cup Tie that season. Rhodes had had an indifferent campaign, the highlight being his barn-storming show of flamboyant goalkeeping in the memorable win over reigning League Champions Arsenal. Rhodes had already made several quality saves when shortly after half-time Nigel Clough broke away, slipped Nigel Jemson into the clear one on one against Rhodes, he made a superb save but unfortunately the ball rebounded and Jemson broke Blue hearts. Rhodes played out the season at Latics, but left in the summer of 1990, joining Dunfermline in a £100,000 deal after Joe Royle could not guarantee him first team football. Royle subsequently signed John Keeley as his first choice keeper – Dean Brill be wary!

The next member of the squad was something of a trail blazer. The nation goes mental for reality competitions these days; well Mike Flynn won his own competition – in 1985 he won the inaugural (and as far as I can gather only) 'Search for a star', where the Latics and the Chronicle set out to find the best local talent, the winner gaining a YTS at Boundary Park. Flynn was fast-tracked into the first team. A raw talent who made his debut in the 1987-88 season and the commanding centre-half became a regular after Andy Linighan's departure to Norwich in February 1988. Flynn formed an entertaining partnership with new signing Ian Marshall, along with goalkeeper Rhodes, they were very much part of the "ok we'll concede three, but stitch, Frankie and the 'Dodger' will score five" and believe me for at least eighteen months it was just like that! By Christmas 1988 Flynny had made barely 40 first team appearances for Oldham Athletic but Norwich again came knocking with a cheque for £100,000, the board deemed this to be good business for a 19 year old that was relatively unproven. Although Mike never appeared in Norwich's first team he had a very good career – the highlight being his long spell at Stockport, where he was captain during their glory years and rise up the divisions in the mid-late nineties. He was still playing into his very late thirties, a tough tackling, strong heading centre-back that always gave his all. It will be great to see you wearing our colours again Flynny!

Darren Sheridan needs no real introductions, of course he is John Sheridan's younger brother and somewhat smaller. He is joint manager at Conference outfit Barrow and spent three years at Boundary Park from 2001-04. He has the dubious honour of being sent-off in all four competitions the club played in during the 2001-02 season although his red card at Scunthorpe in 2003 involved the best combination punches I have ever seen on a football field! A tough tackler with an eye for a pass, Sheridan enjoyed the success under Iain Dowie but had the desire to remain at the club during the turbulent times. In my opinion Brian Talbot made one of his biggest mistakes in letting Mini-Shez leave in the summer of 2004. His goal at Notts County was a superb example of deep running from midfield and his chip at Tranmere (thanks to a certain Rueben Hazell dwelling on the ball!) was sublime.

What can be said about David Eyres that hasn't already been said by Latics fans? Well I'll have a go! When David Eyres signed for the club in October 2000 he was already 36 and way past it I thought, when reading of his signing. Of course he proved everyone wrong spending just under six years at Boundary Park and providing many memorable moments – he enjoyed an Indian summer under Iain Dowie during the 2002-03 season scoring 16 goals from the left-wing and although he was much quieter during the following season again rolled back the years during Brian Talbot's early tenure with a glut of early season goals including two in a minute versus a shell-shocked Walsall. During his final season he saved the club great embarrassment with a sublime finish on a cabbage patch of a pitch at Chasetown and fittingly scored a cheeky goal where he left defenders and goalkeeper on their backsides on his final appearance against Scunthorpe at the Chaddy End. Eyresy, as he is affectionately known, is working towards becoming a licensed agent and is often seen around the club and at functions held by the club and is one of the most thoroughly genuine people you could hope to meet.

Mike Milligan made his debut for Latics during the 1985/86 season, originally a schoolboy at Manchester City but when released Latics moved quickly to bring him into their youth set-up. The following season 'Milly' became a regular and it wasn't too long before he was captain, a tenacious tackler whose distribution wasn't always the best but he would run and tackle all day long and aim to get the ball wide as quickly as he could to launch yet another attack. Famously Milligan was motioned in Jimmy Frizzell's "talentless, team of yardogs" post-match interview, where Milly and John Kelly had battled for every ball in a famous 2-1 win at Maine Road in December 1987. Arguably Milligan's best season was the 'Pinch me season' of 1989/90. His performances did not go unnoticed and that summer Colin Harvey paid a million for his services to take him to Everton, he did not push on as hoped at Goodison and following promotion in 1991, Joe Royle paid £600,000 to re-acquire his services in preparation for Latics first assault on the top-division for 68 years. Truth be told Milly wasn't the same player second time around, he was still a useful top-flight midfielder but his limitations in distributing the ball saw him found out on too many occasions. Still, he played for Jack Charlton's Ireland during his second spell at Boundary Park and after relegation Norwich paid £800,000 for him meaning Latics had made £1.2 million on the two transfers despite paying £600,00 in June 1991! Milligan spent one more year in the top-flight before Norwich were relegated too but he went on to stay at Norwich for six years before ending his career at Blackpool.

Lee Duxbury for me is a true Latics Legend. A modern day Roger Palmer or 'Mr Reliable' as my dad referred to 'the dodger' and I referred to 'Dux'. Dux was a player of limited talent but gave his all for the cause. Signed by Neil Warnock in March 1997 from Bradford City, Lee had already captained both his previous clubs Bradford and Huddersfield. Although he was unable to help to keep us in Division One he would quickly form an effective midfield partnership with John Sheridan that ensured three years of League One survival under Andy Ritchie. His late runs into the box and heading ability often meant Latics were able to nick unlikely wins and highlights included the killer second goal at Maine Road in March '99, immediately after Gary Kelly had saved Gareth Taylor's penalty and the late-winner at unbeaten Wigan in January 2000. Despite holding out all summer to stay on at Latics during the summer of hell, he reluctantly made the move to Bury only days before the club won a stay of execution. He was soon back at Boundary Park under John Sheridan and coaching the reserves.

Tommy, Tommy, Tommy, Tommy, Tommy, Tommy, Tommy, Tommy, Tommy, Tommy....Tommy Wright, Tommy Wright! Tommy Wright, Tommy Wright, Tommy, Tommy Wright – he hits the ball he scores a goal – Tommy, Tommy Wright... Sorry for a moment then I was back in the Chaddy End, 11 years old and Tommy Wright was speeding down the wing about to send another cross onto the head of Andy Ritchie, Frankie Bunn or Roger Palmer! Tommy Wright scored the winner versus Crystal Palace the first game I went to, he's my Latics hero simple as. He arrived for £80,000 in October 1986 from Leeds United in a deal funded by director Norman Holden. He was an immediate hit with his pace and trickery and although he was never free-scoring often scored cheeky goals. A brace at Maine Road ensured legend status before making all three of Roger Palmer's hat-trick the year after. When he left for Leicester in the summer of 1989 I was heartbroken and when he returned on a month to month deal in the summer of 1997 I was cock a hoop! His second spell was all too brief and he left due to financial constraints before returning to Scotland and ending his career back in England in non-league football. He returned to Boundary Park to help coach the school of excellence kids and when John Sheridan became manager he kept his promise to his friend and became assistant manager. Tommy remained at the club until the summer of this year before he left Boundary Park to again link up again with 'Shez' at Saltergate.

Andy Liddell had so often been the scourge of Latics for both Barnsley and Wigan a flying winger or second striker in his late 90s hey-day, he was signed by Ronnie Moore in the twilight of his pro-days but proved the ability was still there, perhaps if the pace wasn't. A superb volleyer of the ball and a reliable penalty taker for all his clubs- he had a 100% record at Boundary Park in his penalty conversions. Whilst his short-corners infuriated many his free-kicks could be sublime. Dogged by injury problems in two out of his four seasons at Boundary Park he will remembered for his superb goals at Swindon and Brighton and his volleys at home to Chesterfield and Bristol City. Masters football should suit Lidds and I'd expect him to be up there with the top goalscorers at the end of the night. He is to ply his trade back in his native Yorkshire for Bradford Park Avenue next season.

A poll of Oldham Athletic fans was taken earlier this decade to decide our greatest ever player – Andrew Timothy Ritchie won by a mile. When Joe Royle brought him to the club in the summer of 1987 there were reservations amongst the Latics faithful, 'Stitch' had hardly been overly prolific at Manchester United, Brighton and Leeds and had a reputation of being somewhat injury prone. Well his injury-proneness continued during his initial eight year spell at Boundary Park but when he was fit and on song he was probably the finest centre-forward this club has ever had. He struck the ball as hard as anyone, despite not being the tallest he was a great header of the ball, linked superbly with midfield and oozed class out of every pore. He gave us so many great moments and I'm sure if he'd not spent long periods out injured in two of his last four seasons at the club would have broken Roger Palmer's goalscoring record. Stitch applied to be Joe Royle's successor and though he was unsuccessful knuckled down and scored 13 goals in the 1994/95 season including hat-tricks in successive home games. In the summer of 1995 to the outcry of Latics supporters 'Stitch' was released and joined Scarborough, eighteen months later he was back as Neil Warnock's player-coach. Another year down the line and it was third time lucky with Ritchie becoming manager of the club he loved. The first-season was arduous, no money and a team made of kids struggled all year before a late rally secured safety on the final day. The following year saw a horrific start before the team recovered and finished comfortably in mid-table. The following year saw an even worse start before again recovering and finishing in mid-table. The summer of 2001 saw Chris Moore complete his takeover of the club, Ritchie for the first time was able to make quality additions and did so – to the extent that by the end of September the team were top of the League playing superbly and scoring freely. Of course it didn't last – the team was still predominantly full of kids but when Ritchie was sacked after a four game losing streak there was an outcry, slowly but surely many of us felt he was getting it right. In hindsight he worked miracles to secure our 3rd tier status year after year on less than a shoe-string! After Latics Andy has worked at the Leeds academy and enjoyed a varied media career. In between he has won promotion as manager of Barnsley and enjoyed a brief, less than successful, spell as manager of Huddersfield Town. It's always a pleasure though to see 'Stitch' wearing a Latics shirt and I'm sure next Saturday night he'll be banging in yet another goal for the boys in blue!

After coming so close last year where we were undoubtedly the entertainers can we go one step further? Well Manchester United's team looks stronger than it did last year but the team to beat will be undoubtedly Manchester City who have a similar team to the one that has been so successful over the last few years. They are the benchmark in Masters football, well-organised who do not lose the ball. That will be key for Latics this year, if we keep the ball better who knows but with Rhodes in goal, the three strong tacklers in Milly, Dux and Flynny, Mini-Shez probably dishing out Chinese burns and half-nelsons on tap and the flair of Eyres, Lidds and Stitch it promises to be another memorable evening. If you've not got your tickets..get them! Oh when the Blues....

Oafcprozac

Further information on this years event can be found on the OWTB.co.uk Masters 2009 guide page. Don't forget to check out the upcoming OWTB.podcast for your final chance to win tickets to this years event!