Uri Geller / Michael Jackson

She who must be obeyed (well every now and then) is currently watching a prog on the box featuring Jacksons friendship (?) with Geller

Does anyone remember when Geller was mooted as a possible buyer of the Latics many years ago?

She who must be obeyed (well every now and then) is currently watching a prog on the box featuring Jacksons friendship (?) with Geller

Does anyone remember when Geller was mooted as a possible buyer of the Latics many years ago?

i think exeter city had a far closer shave-they were both said to be interested..with latics it was a mere pipe dream mooted by the likes of the chron(whats new!)

http://soccerlens.com/when-the-king-of-pop...ter-city/31204/

scary..

that was about 6years ago ,but only a press rumour

that was about 6years ago ,but only a press rumour

12 years ago actually..

http://66.221.71.68/news/n2.htm

Uri Geller wants to buy Athletic

30th September, 1997

by TONY BUGBY

URI GELLER, one of the world's top psychics, has expressed serious interest in buying Oldham Athletic Football Club.

The Israeli-born Geller, whose spoon-bending powers shot him to fame, wants to own a second or third division football club.

And he admitted that the Boundary Park club, which graced the Premiership until 1994, is firmly under the Geller gaze.

Athletic chairman Ian Stott said he welcomed any move which would strengthen the financial position of the club.

There was also a positive response from major shareholder J W Lees, with the brewery pointing out that any offer for their holding will be looked at seriously.

Geller, who used to follow Reading until a recent fall-out with their chairman John Madejski, has contacts currently putting out feelers to discover which, if any clubs, are on the market.

It is difficult to put a figure on the asking price for Athletic. The value of the 14-acre site is reported to be worth over £2 million, while the club has debts of £1.8 million.

The current balance sheet, shows the club's total assets, less current liabilities, are £2.7 million.

When informed of the Boundary Park club's position, Geller declared: "I am keen to delve further into the Oldham proposition and would like them to send me details about the club."

"I have been thinking of buying a football club for some time. I looked at first division clubs, but they are probably out of my reach because I am not that seriously wealthy."

Lower-division clubs like Fulham, Hull, Preston, Watford and Wigan already have wealthy benefactors, which restricts the number of clubs Geller can target.