A team with depth

Ive been thinking of ways to explain why i like the team we have this season (except centre defence) and couldnt think of the words,

but now i just thought if how to put it, we have a team with depth,

last season, we had 11 players who were really the main choice players and if any of them got injured, the subs that would replace them were very similar in style to the player they just replaced,

this season we have a team built with more dimensions, if you look at the players we have signed, they all bring something unique and dare i say special to the squad, we have a mix of young, old, experienced, quick, players with vision, holding players, good passers, quick passers, the list goes on

all of which is great for different types of opponents,

there was a thread on here asking people what they think the starting line up should be against stockport with the team so far, and to be honest i dont think we will know until the day,

What i think DP has done is built a squad with depth so that he can use different tactics against different teams, I think its a case of looking at our opponents, looking at their styles of play ie. tactics, formations etc. and choosing the right players to play against them,

for example, DP may see that stockport can be broken down easily with quick plays, therefore he will go with the quicker players, he may notice they have some tricky players in midfield so will put on someone with experience to tell the younger lads how to handle them,

but then again the week after they could be playing a team with a lot of strong tall players who like to hoof the ball up to a target man, in which case the same mix of players would not be as effective, and therefore he will need to use his stronger players and the players with good vision to know when the target man is on the move etc.

basically DP is using these players as tools, and each match is a different job, and as all of us know, different jobs need different tools, if we use the same tools for each job we are going to struggle, but I can see this as a good competitive season ahead of us.

Ive been thinking of ways to explain why i like the team we have this season (except centre defence) and couldnt think of the words,

but now i just thought if how to put it, we have a team with depth,

last season, we had 11 players who were really the main choice players and if any of them got injured, the subs that would replace them were very similar in style to the player they just replaced,

this season we have a team built with more dimensions, if you look at the players we have signed, they all bring something unique and dare i say special to the squad, we have a mix of young, old, experienced, quick, players with vision, holding players, good passers, quick passers, the list goes on

all of which is great for different types of opponents,

there was a thread on here asking people what they think the starting line up should be against stockport with the team so far, and to be honest i dont think we will know until the day,

What i think DP has done is built a squad with depth so that he can use different tactics against different teams, I think its a case of looking at our opponents, looking at their styles of play ie. tactics, formations etc. and choosing the right players to play against them,

for example, DP may see that stockport can be broken down easily with quick plays, therefore he will go with the quicker players, he may notice they have some tricky players in midfield so will put on someone with experience to tell the younger lads how to handle them,

but then again the week after they could be playing a team with a lot of strong tall players who like to hoof the ball up to a target man, in which case the same mix of players would not be as effective, and therefore he will need to use his stronger players and the players with good vision to know when the target man is on the move etc.

basically DP is using these players as tools, and each match is a different job, and as all of us know, different jobs need different tools, if we use the same tools for each job we are going to struggle, but I can see this as a good competitive season ahead of us.

I agree, and therefore shows the pedigree of a good manager.

The problem with changing your team every week is that the players don't get into a rhythm and the team will become disjointed.

Also, say Penney does do this (which I don't think he will). The team suitable for playing the passing teams wins, say, 3-0 but the following game we're playing a hoof ball team. Do you change the team?