Fabian Delph to Villa

Agree whole-heartedly with the man who makes the point that we are over-rating Taylor, and under-rating Delph. He's going to be a Premier League player, because he has talent that has been spotted by every scout in the country - there's no use denying it, and "only Villa"? Is that a serious comment?

Taylor is a legend, but principally for his attitude and love of the Blues. He had an on-off season last year, and still needs to work on his decision making and crossing. There is a lot more to come from him if he continues to work hard and improve, and I think he'll do that because he has the right attitude. £1million would be a great price for us, and more realistically I think we are looking at three-quarters of that with hopefully some juicy and achievable add-ons for the guy.

Although that said Delph looked like a dirty little swine every time I saw him last year, and I wish him nothing but ill until he sorts that out.

A more pertinent debate might be how the hell he is worth that and yet the tribunal system valued John Bostock at the pittance that he left Palace for... goes to show that it is all about the player's loyalty and willingness to accept his club's judgement in the search for the best price. Which might inflate Taylor's value, but not as high as £2mill.

Agree whole-heartedly with the man who makes the point that we are over-rating Taylor, and under-rating Delph. He's going to be a Premier League player, because he has talent that has been spotted by every scout in the country - there's no use denying it, and "only Villa"? Is that a serious comment?

Taylor is a legend, but principally for his attitude and love of the Blues. He had an on-off season last year, and still needs to work on his decision making and crossing. There is a lot more to come from him if he continues to work hard and improve, and I think he'll do that because he has the right attitude. £1million would be a great price for us, and more realistically I think we are looking at three-quarters of that with hopefully some juicy and achievable add-ons for the guy.

Although that said Delph looked like a dirty little swine every time I saw him last year, and I wish him nothing but ill until he sorts that out.

A more pertinent debate might be how the hell he is worth that and yet the tribunal system valued John Bostock at the pittance that he left Palace for... goes to show that it is all about the player's loyalty and willingness to accept his club's judgement in the search for the best price. Which might inflate Taylor's value, but not as high as £2mill.

"only Villa" in the sence that he was refered too as potentially one of the best midfielder in the world. Dont you think the bigger clubs might have tried a bit harder if he was that good.

Yes, £2m is way over Taylors value but you seriously think £8m is the right value for someone that is unproven outside league 1.

Yes, £2m is way over Taylors value but you seriously think £8m is the right value for someone that is unproven outside league 1.

It's irrelevant.

The only things that matter are what Leeds will sell him for and, more importantly, what potential buyers are willing to pay. That is how you establish a value.

It's irrelevant.

The only things that matter are what Leeds will sell him for and, more importantly, what potential buyers are willing to pay. That is how you establish a value.

I agree but I dont think its totally irrelevant. You still need a starting point.

It's irrelevant.

No, and I agree.

Delph isn't worth £8million, and I highly doubt that Villa have paid that for him. If they are anywhere near that figure then they'll have add-ons for England appearances and such-like I would have thought, but my guess is that the value is much closer to the £3-5million region with a significant sum held back.

The point I was making though is that we shouldn't make any assumptions of Taylor's worth based on Delph's valuation. Delph may be better than I have seen - he's only young - and Taylor is still very much a work in progress. Albeit a legendary ginger one.

Also we have got to guard against exaggerated values in case Taylor is sold. If it happens then I for one will be disappointed by the owners getting stick for "lack of ambition" or "selling cheaply" should he go for less than £1million. There seems to be a gulf between the realistic appraisals of our popular players, and some fans' estimations of their value.

I agree but I dont think its totally irrelevant. You still need a starting point.

I hate to be short, but you don't.

The only thing that matters is what somebody will pay. A player's value could be defined as "The amount of money one club will pay another for the right to exclusively employ the player."

Of course the fact that Delph has only played in league 1 may affect what clubs may be prepared to pay for him, but that it is different. It has no direct link to his value whatsoever.