Interview with an Opposition Fan

ste1987

Interview with an Opposition Fan

#1 - Stockport County

IWAOF is back for 2009/10! Each week, myself and Razza699 will be hunting down the opposition fans - whether they be friends, families or through online message boards - to answer numerous questions in the build-up to our fixture.

This week, Razza chased down his fellow Stockport County work colleagues to answer a selection of questions ahead of this weekend's derby.

1. You have a new manager this year, after losing Gannon and all the worry about going out of business are you pleased with Abletts appointment and the proposed takeover?

- Money has been a bit tight recently! We’ve got Griffin and Poole back on loan, who did well on loan for us in the past, so pleased with them. Our “biggest” signing being Paul Gerrard as assistant boss and assistant keeper. Also Peter Thompson, we spent £100K on last year, but never really got a look in under Gannon, seems to be getting a chance under Ablett so far, so maybe that will be like a new signing in itself.

- I am pleased with Abletts appointment because he had done well with Liverpool reserves and it’s time for him to move to a more senior role. Jim Melrose consortium looks very serious about the future of County so things are looking a lot better than at one stage.

- Very pleased with the appointment of Gary Ablett however not convinced about the new group that have taken over or their motives.

2. How do you think pre-season has gone so far and how have you been doing in pre-season games?

- Not really played anyone too exciting, but it seems to have gone ok. Won 4 drawn 1 conceding only 1 goal before played Real Valladolid on Tuesday and lost 3-1, but put up a good show. Results aren’t too important; this pre-season lark is just about fitness. After the last few months we’re just happy to have a pre-season!!

- Pre season has gone ok. We lost against real Vallodolid but we have gone to Linfield and won 3-1 and have beaten Grimsby. The sad thing in the Grimsby match is that Matty Mainwaring broke is leg and is now out for 7 months.

- Given that we had nearly gone out of business thanks to the actions of the previous Chairman and Managing Director, the fact that we have managed to play any games can only be seen as a good thing.

3. Realistically, what are you expectations for the season? Where would you like to finish and where do you think you will finish?

- The bookies have us as odds on to be relegated, bias aside I really can’t see that happening. We’ve still got a lot of the pretty useful youngsters from last season, and with a few extra’s being added all the time, I can see us doing ok. Can’t see our silky passing style changing too much from the Gannon era to Ablett, so there shouldn’t be too much transition for them. I’m certainly not expecting to win it or even make the play-offs, but mid table obscurity should be well within our reach.

- I think we will aim to finish in the top half of the table but I would be happy avoiding relegation after the bad summer we have had about our future.

- Survival, and that is out of the relegation zone. It would be like winning the Champions League for us this year.

4. A few big teams are in League one this year. Who are you most looking forward to playing?

- One of our greatest nights in our history was down at then Premier League Southampton (Le Tiss et al) in a League Cup quarter final in 1997. They held us to a draw at Edgeley Park, and despite going behind in the reply, County came back to win 2-1, live on Sky as well. Those were the days!

- I went to Leeds last year and will be looking forward to going again. Awesome day out and never far to travel!

- Southampton. It would be nice to give them a good thrashing home and away!

5. Any team you’re not looking forward to playing?

- Don’t think we really have anyone we don’t look forward to playing, although Colchester on a Tuesday night in November is – how shall we say it – far from appealing.

- There isn’t really a team I’m not looking forward to playing.

- Dirty Leeds.

6. Have you signed anyone yet if so are you pleased with them?

- We have signed Paul Gerrard as our number 2 keeper and goalkeeping coach. David Poole who was with us a few seasons ago the same with Adam Griffin. We are hoping to be able to sign more player when the CVA agreement has been sorted.

- Administration has hampered our efforts to sign any players so far.

7. Key player – who should be look out for against us and for the rest of the season

- Quite a young squad, and some of them have shown potential and interested other clubs. I’ll go for Johnny Mullins as the one to watch. Missed quite a bit of last season with injury but back now. For the one to watch for the future, I’ll go for Danny Pilkington, brother of Anthony, showed a bit of promise last year in a couple of substitute appearances, and will probably break into the team at some point this season.

- Oli Johnson is a young player with a lot of talent he was bought into the side last year and I think he will do well this year.

- Not sure really as we haven’t signed him yet! Most of our better players have been sold by the administrators to pay their fees.

8. Who do you think will win the league?

- Lot of teams who think they’re big clubs down here this year. You’ve got to expect that one of them will get it right and bounce straight back. Leeds will get it right one year. But I had a small fancy for Huddersfield last year, and after a bad start came on pretty well), so a small investment on them for me this year.

- MK Dons.

- Dirty Leeds.

9. Anyone you would like County to sign?

- I think Messi would get a game.

- No one in particular but we need another striker, a centre half and a holding midfielder.

- Any decent well proven striker. We have struggled in this department for some time.

10. How do you think Oldham will do in League One this year?

- Ooh….is this the bit where I have to be nice!! To be honest I think you’ll be mid table obscurity with us. Too many “big” teams for the automatic. A decent run could take you to borderline playoffs, but just outside playoffs I’m afraid.

- Mid-table, maybe reaching the 6th spot in the league.

- Mid table would be a good result for Oldham although I will know more of the quality of their team after Saturday.

11. Finally, what do you think the score will be at Boundary Park?

- With it being the first game, I think it will be close, although we don’t have a very good record up there over the years. A 1-1 draw would be a good start for us to get the season going.

- 2-1 county.

- 2 – 2 with defensive errors blames for all four goals!

Thanks to those Stockport County fans who answered our questions. Seems as though they think they are in for a tough season ahead due to the repercussions of administration and a lacking striker.

Over the season, we'll aim to try and gain multiple responses from clubs and we hope this will be a regular feature providing fans will co-operate with us. If you have any questions YOU would like us to ask the opposition fans, PM myself or Razza699 and we'll do our best to integrate this into the questions we ask. As always, feedback and comments are welcome :)