Interview with an Opposition Fan

ste1987

Interview with an Opposition Fan

#7 - Bristol Rovers

Welcome to this week’s edition of Interview with an Opposition Fan. Each week, myself and Razza699 scour for opposition fans to answer the questions we put toward them in the build up to the subsequent fixture.

This week, Oldham travel to The Memorial Stadium on the blue side of Bristol. As such, I found some welcoming Bristol Rovers fans to answer a selection of questions ahead of the game.

1. Paul Trollope is entering his 5th year in charge of Gas. What are your opinions of Paul Trollope? What is his general style of play?

- Trolls like the ball to be played on the floor as much as possible and although we do have players who can counter attack I think mostly he likes a patient build up and to play most of the football in the oppositions half. In my view he is the best manager we have had at the mem in years and after getting us promotion in his first full season has built on that and made steady progress in the subsequent seasons.

- I am personally a very big fan of PT. He is doing a slow but very effective job of turning this football club into a good force within League One. My only concerns at times are his negative approach to games. He’s definitely not a fan of attacking football & these shows from time-to-time in the way the team is laid out.

- After a few years in the doldrums under Francis, Thompson, Graydon & Atkins we have a manager in PT who has been able to improve us year on year for three full campaigns and is looking in prime position to do it again. The style of play changes with the personnel available. We played wingers when we had either them (Sandell) or pace (Haldane) played without them when we didn't e.g. last season. If the best three footballers at the club were all centre halves we'd play three at the back! However, we have enough players who can adapt to several different positions that can make whatever we opt for either work spectacularly or fail miserably on the day!

- Trollope has been excellent for Rovers; we've achieved a higher finish each year since he's been in charge. We like to keep the ball on the deck as we don't have height in forward areas. Having said that, Williams has looked sharp in recent weeks and would give us a different option if he started up front.

- I think he is fantastic, still very young, but seems to have been around for ages (Well he is coming up to 5 years now with us as manager and he’s still only 37!!). He likes to get it down, although our play has changed a lot since Lambert went. IMO it’s more refreshing to watch, as before teams would gang up on Lambo and basically stop us playing!

- Trollope is an excellent young manager that has improved us in every season position wise, including a promotion and a couple of decent cup runs. He likes to play a pretty narrow passing game that is well organised in defence.

2. Have you made any signings so far this season? Do you expect any more signings now the window is open again after deadline day?

- We have signed Carl Regan a versatile defender from MK Dons who currently is playing right back, he looks a solid defender and rarely puts a foot wrong doesn't get forward much but certainly sures up the right hand side. We have had problems with keepers and are currently on our 3rd a loanee from Reading Mikkel Anderson who is the Danish U21 keeper, he made his debut last weekend and looks very competent though granted it was against an under strength Millwall side. Dominic Blizzard was also signed from Stockport but due to illness we haven’t seen much of him though he shows signs of being a decent signing. We still need a striker and after offloading Rickie Lambert to Southampton and the management have recognised this and said they are looking to bring in a loan or two but dealings seem to take time at Rovers so it would be unlikely we get a loan player in before Saturdays game.

- This summer’s been a strange one for the club. 4 players (Hinton, Green, Disley & Jacobson) were all given free transfers while the club has bought in Mark Wright from Brighton, Carl Regan from MK Dons & Rhys Evans. Steve Phillips is now on loan at Shrewsbury & for that reason, we have had two loan goalkeepers so far this season. Fraser Foster has come & gone & now Mikkel Anderson has come in from Reading. Rumour has it that we will be signing a striker on loan in the coming days to fill the void left by Rickie Lambert’s move to Southampton.

- As said above spot on about Bliz and Regan, also we've got in 2 keepers one on loan from Reading called Mikkel Andersen who looks the part and one for backup called Rhys Evans. 2 Loan players look on the cards but luckily for you not against you!

- We've signed 2 goalkeepers, Rhys Evans and Mikkel Anderson. Anderson is only on loan but is likely to get the nod on Saturday after an impressive debut last week. Defender Carl Regan signed from MK Dons and we also added midfielders Mark Wright from Brighton and Dominic Blizzard from Stockport. Regan has looked solid and his versatility will be useful. Wright will hopefully be the out and out attacking winger we've been looking for but he's only played 1 game so far so it's a little early to tell. Blizzard has shown flashes of real class but hasn't made a league start yet due to illness.

- Carl Regan - Mr Solid, been very impressed with him. Slotted in like he has been here for years!

Mark Wright - Only signed last week, but is Regans best mate, so given time (He is a right winger) it could be exciting down that flank with both of them!

M Andersen - GK who had a great debut on the weekend, very loud, commanding and Danish...remind you of anyone?

Rhys Evans - Another GK who will provide good competition for Andersen.

- We've made a couple of signings, Mikkel Andersen and Rhys Evans in goal after our other keepers left, Carl Regan - RB from MK Dons extremely good signing so far, sound anywhere along the back four, Dominic Blizzard - Centre Midfielder from Stockport and Mark Wright - Winger from Brighton. We are looking to add another 1 or 2, one striker and someone else.

3. Last season, you finished 11th in League One. How do you think you will do in League one this season?

- We have made a very pleasing start to the season which means we currently sit in 4th place and if we are anywhere near that at the end of the season most rovers fans would be ecstatic. Injuries and how we play the loan market will make a huge difference but I think we are capable of a top half finish and possibly top 10. If we make any sort of attempt on the playoffs I think the majority of fans will see that as a successful season.

- Injury permitting, we are a very good side but given that we have a very small squad I think the play-off may once again elude us. Anywhere in the top half is realistic.

- Top 8 will be sufficient progression.

- I genuinely think, barring major injuries and adding one decent striker on loan, that we could be a playoff side this season

- I’m happy to predict a top 10 finish (How far in that top ten is up to the team...)

- Top two is beyond us unless the loan signings are "blinding", if Troll's record continues then anywhere from 3 to 10 is most likely. Too many injuries and bad choices in the loan market would make it south of last year’s finishing position (11th)

4. Are there any teams in particular you are looking forward to playing?

- Obviously Swindon and Yeovil are good games due to the locality but personally I am looking forward to the big boys such as Leeds, Norwich and Charlton coming to the mem and trying to visit some new grounds on away trips.

- With so many big teams now playing in League One take your pick from Leeds, Norwich, Charlton & Southampton. Swindon is always a fiery encounter & Exeter away should be a nice trip.

- Swindon and Yeovil alongside Saints and Charlton.

- I travel to all the away games so I'm looking forward to the big games at Southampton, Norwich, Leeds and Charlton. I do however always enjoy my trips to Oldham because we have an excellent record there in recent years.

- Southampton, be good to give Rickie Lambert a clap as we never got the chance to say goodbye! (The terms are that he can't score though...).

- Southampton, to properly say goodbye to Rickie Lambert, Swindon, because the atmosphere is always good and the usual other big ones such as Leeds, Norwich etc.

5. What tactics are you likely to employ and have played with this season?

- At home we like to play in the oppositions half and try and dominate teams. We only have two small strikers so balls in the air are out the question, this makes for at times quite an attractive passing game.

- Ha, like I'd tell you that.

- 4-4-2 with a bit of freedom given to our left mid Hughes to express himself.

- Trollope will choose the tactics based on the opposition.

- Let’s just say the new lease of life given to players on the pitch (Lines, Hughes) due to Lambos departure is something to look out for.

- To begin with, we would start with our usual one man tactic called 'Get the ball to Rickie Lambert'. However, we seem to actually improve in the football we are playing now that he's left. We like to play it on the ground, seem to be playing a 4-4-2 and like to pass it about.

6. Rovers have had a promising start to the season, with 12 points from a possible 18, finding themselves in 4th place. What are Bristol Rovers’ strengths and weaknesses, both on and off the pitch?

- On the pitch we have players with a lot of heart who get well into the game and most of the time you are proud to see wearing the famous blue and white quarters, we also have quality in some key positions and players who can turn a game with a bit of individual class, check out Chris Lines' goal from Saturday to see what I mean. Off the pitch we can make a good atmosphere when we get going and on the whole as long as you are sensible you will find us a friendly club. I would also advise you to try the pasties, they are first class!

- One of the strengths off the pitch has to be the tie in with the local community but the communication with the fans needs some improvement to say the least. On the pitch, you'll have to wait until Saturday.

- We have a strong bond between players, fans and management.

- The majority of the team have been together some time and they have a great understanding. I wouldn't say we have any major strengths or weaknesses; just a good team that gives 100% every game.

-Weakness on the pitch - Goals from open play, Daryll Duffy one of our strikers desperately needs a goal. Strength on the pitch - very solid defence and midfield. Weakness off the pitch - The board and the stadium. Strength off the pitch - The management team.

- Strengths: Tight knit squad, solid fan to player relationships. Not going too mad with the cheque book in the boardroom. Weaknesses: Spelling and grammar on this forum. Keeping relationships with near neighbours on a cordial footing all the time!

7. Who is Bristol’s key player who we should look out for ahead of Saturday’s fixture and for the rest of the season?

- Jo Kuffour has taken over Lamberts role of our classy player and although he is small oppositions centre half’s should not look at his size and think they are going to be in for an easy game, he has outmuscled even the biggest of defenders and is a feisty character who is rarely pushed off the ball. In defence Danny Coles has slotted straight back in after a long injury which kept him out for most of last season and has been quality all season.

- Jo Kuffour. Every time he gets near the ball, you expect something to happen. He is a real livewire & offers us something we were lacking for a while before his arrival.

- I have seen a lot of answers pinpoint Kuffour and Coles as key men but to be honest they are our consistent class performers...the "key" men are Anthony, Hughes and Duffy - if two out of the three of them are having a good day then we know we are in with a shout of beating whoever is in front of us.

- I wouldn't say we have a stand out player now Lambert has gone but we have a number of players who could be 'stand out' on the day.

- For me our Key Player is Danny Coles, IMO he is the best centre back in the league. If he can stay injury free, then the league is his oyster...

- Danny Coles, strong centre back. Jo Kuffour, exciting forward/playmaker with an amazing first touch and good trickery. Jeff Hughes and Stuart Campbell, good technical players in midfield - left midfielder and centre midfield respectively.

8. Who do you think will win League One this season? Any outsiders or surprises?

- I think Leeds will win it especially if Beckford can have another season like he has done for the last two, personally I think Huddersfield will do well (even though we have already beaten them this season) they have signed quality players and have already made a decent start.

- The usual suspects to be honest. Charlton, Leeds, Huddersfield & Norwich should be right up there but watch out for Brighton who I believe will be in the play-offs when it matters.

- Leeds should finally do it this season, but I feel like they'll cock it up again and hit playoffs.. Charlton will win it.

- Probably Leeds or Charlton the way things are going. MK Dons and Huddersfield would be a good bet for the play off's. My outsiders would be Brentford.

- Leeds will do the business. No surprises apart from maybe.....us. Southampton to go down by the way.

- After the starts they have made it is difficult to look beyond Charlton and Leeds. The surprise package could be Colchester as Aidy Boothroyd has never failed to get his squads 100% behind his work ethic - it is just a question of whether the talent is there - and if they could afford to have Matty Lockwood there without even giving him a number well....

9. How do you think Oldham will do this season?

- Must admit I don't know much about Oldham’s dealings over the summer based on previous seasons I would think you would be around us in midtable but will see after Saturday’s game!

- Jacobson was poor acquisition but I’m very glad you saw sense & got shot of Lee Hughes. Around mid-table with us I would imagine.

- I'd expect a mid table finish for Oldham.

- I think you will be fine, mid table. New manager always needs time and it’s all about getting that team and playing style together in the first one IMO.

- To be honest I haven't kept up to date with you lot, but I know you lost Hughes which despite the majority of people hating him will be a big miss. Jacobson was a poor signing for you but luckily for you he hasn't played so hasn't been able to be a liability yet, shame he won't be there on the weekend. I think Mid-table to lower-mid, but I’d be able to make a better assessment after the game. I think there's bound to be worse teams in the league than you though.

- Confidence plays a big part in where teams end up. You've mentioned yours is low at the moment. Sometimes it takes a long time to turn around. However, I consider Penney a "winning" manager so I would expect an improvement - say safe mid-table.

10 And finally, what score do you think the game will be on Saturday?

- We have made a good start to the season and have been playing well lately so expect a rovers win 2-0 but wish you luck for rest of the season, except the two games against us!

- 2-1 to Rovers.

- 2-0 to Bristol Rovers.

- I've actually got a feeling it will end 1-1 but I'll remain optimistic and go for 2-1 to Rovers.

- Hard one, all I hope for is a win, be it a tap in off Regans backside, they all count!!

- 2-0 Gas, Hughes and Jo Kuffour scorers.

Many thanks to those Bristol Rovers fan's who took part this week. It seems many fans are confident of victory against a demoralised Latics squad. The fire power of Jo Kuffour is likely to cause numerous problems to the inconsistent Latics backline. But can Latics scrape a result out of this?

Brilliant some good answers :)

Nice to see they are not bitter about Lambert , its rare nowadays a player leaves and is still liked by the fans

When I saw them against 'udders they looked better without him. Play much more as a team rather thna lumping it to him at every opportunity...They are right what they say about them being defensive and playing on the counter attack, which worries me. I think we will find ourselves practically having a home game, and being forced to take the game to them - which worries me greatly!!

Really looking forward to tomorrow though, the Gas are a great set of fans, I think we will get beat, but one things for sure... I wont give a damn at about 8pm!

:drinking66: