Jason Puncheon

Here's a linky to last season's rules on the FA web site (which I beieve are unchanged this season).

"(e) PLAYERS SENT OFF UNDER LAW 12 (1), (2) AND (3)

A Player who is dismissed from the Field of Play for Violent Conduct, Serious Foul Play

or spitting at an opponent or any other person, whether he has previously been

cautioned in the match or not, will be suspended automatically from all Club football,

including all FTCM and all non-first team domestic competitive matches commencing

forthwith and until such time as his Club has completed three FTCM.

(f) PLAYERS SENT OFF – COMMENCEMENT AND PERIOD OF SUSPENSION

Any period of suspension arising from a dismissal from the Field of Play will commence

forthwith, unless a claim has been lodged in accordance with Sections 4 or 5 above."

Suspended for three matches unless they appeal it (which would only delay the inevitable, but could allow him to play at BP).

A few year's ago it would have been described as "a superb hard tackle in the middle of the park". But under current guidelines he had to go.

Edited by opinions4u

45+1mins - RED CARD - JASON PUNCHEON (MK DONS)

Massive blow for the home side, who don't just lose a man, but one of their biggest creative influences to a straight red card. Just before the break, the ball pops up between Puncheon and Doyle in midfield and the Dons man catches him with a high-ish challenge. Bodies crowd the Dons player and Andy D'Urso has no hesitation in producing a red.

i would be surprised if they didn't appeal, as it didn't look a sending off to me.

Agreed, and in my opinion it wasn't even a freekick, he may have dived in but he was on the ground when he got to the ball. It was just a hard but fair challenge, the game is being ruined. It's a contact sport, there are going to be serious injuries from time to time you can't take that element out in an attempt to protect players from any sort of injury, you play the game, you take the risk. Players aren't going out on the pitch with the intention to break each others legs but the reality is in a contact sport these things may happen, if you aren't prepared for that small possibility play a different sport.

Agreed, and in my opinion it wasn't even a freekick, he may have dived in but he was on the ground when he got to the ball. It was just a hard but fair challenge, the game is being ruined. It's a contact sport, there are going to be serious injuries from time to time you can't take that element out in an attempt to protect players from any sort of injury, you play the game, you take the risk. Players aren't going out on the pitch with the intention to break each others legs but the reality is in a contact sport these things may happen, if you aren't prepared for that small possibility play a different sport.

I agree completely.

But the referee did exactly what his masters told him to do in the circumstances.