Two crucial things about the win tonight

It was a really good performance, let that be said. And we fully deserved 3 points and a couple more goals at least. Our play was bright, controlled and above all we turned defence into attack at a blistering pace. It's a long time coming.

However, what was more crucial to our victory were the following:

1. The early goal - Scoring as early on in the game as we did calmed us down as a team and forced BFS into a more open game, which allowed us to exploit their defence. The speed at which we moved the ball was the most pleasing for me tonight, and shows our potential of opening up teams when games are like that. We've seen so many times how frustrated we can be when the opposing team scores first, or seemingly want to hold out for a draw and pack the defence. BFS just had no option to open up in an effort to get back to level terms.

2. The ref - As fussy as he was, one thing that he did right was penalise BFS for the persistant dirty tricks like cynical pulls, tugs and mauling of our players. They weren't a team of hatchet men, by any stretch, but I've seen sides in the past with the same gameplan but come up against a soft ref. Brentford used to do it every year, back when Martin Allen was managing them and more often than not we ended up with a ref who either turned a blind eye or just didn't spot the cheating. I think we gave as good as we got and put ourselves about a bit, especially Morrow.

Certainly credit where credit's due with us tonight. It feels a prehistoric age ago since we had as fulfilling victory as that for sure, but I think we need a good few more performances like that for us to be considered real challangers in the top 6 this season. I'll look forward to Saturday now.

2. The ref - As fussy as he was, one thing that he did right was penalise BFS for the persistant dirty tricks like cynical pulls, tugs and mauling of our players. They weren't a team of hatchet men, by any stretch, but I've seen sides in the past with the same gameplan but come up against a soft ref. Brentford used to do it every year, back when Martin Allen was managing them and more often than not we ended up with a ref who either turned a blind eye or just didn't spot the cheating. I think we gave as good as we got and put ourselves about a bit, especially Morrow.

===

Yes thought this ref was the best we have had for a long time.

Reason why some thought he was a bit fussy was the number of times he pulled them up , but the thing was he was always close by and could see what was happening.

Other refs would have been 50 yards behind play and don't give it because they can't see it.

More refs like him would make the game much better.

Agree totally, but Brill's save at the near post at 0-0 also helped ;-)

Oh, was that really early because I missed that (got in a few minutes late).

Yeah, he was a bit fussy for both teams, but thought he got the majority of his decisions correct. Brilliant how a visibly fuming Ince was met almost immediately with a yellow card, and yet he continued his rant to be sent to the stand. Certainly weren't for being intimidated, that's for sure.

Oh, was that really early because I missed that (got in a few minutes late).

Yeah, he was a bit fussy for both teams, but thought he got the majority of his decisions correct. Brilliant how a visibly fuming Ince was met almost immediately with a yellow card, and yet he continued his rant to be sent to the stand. Certainly weren't for being intimidated, that's for sure.

From what I could see, it was Lewington, the captain, that got the yellow card as Ince was arriving. He had already been giving the ref verbals from the whistle. Then as they approached the line, Ince got sent to the stand.

As far as I know, you can't give a coach a Yellow Card.

From what I could see, it was Lewington, the captain, that got the yellow card as Ince was arriving. He had already been giving the ref verbals from the whistle. Then as they approached the line, Ince got sent to the stand.

As far as I know, you can't give a coach a Yellow Card.

Ahh, my mistake. But it looked like Ince was recieving it. Still, great to see a no-nonsense referee refusing to be intimidated.

Reading through the BFS messageboard (Ugh, *cough* spit), typically they thought he was a bit biased in favour of us. Amazing how one just won't notice their own teams dirty play isn't it?

Reading through the BFS messageboard (Ugh, *cough* spit), typically they thought he was a bit biased in favour of us. Amazing how one just won't notice their own teams dirty play isn't it?

I wouldn't like to claim we are any better as fans than anyone else! lol

Having said that, though this may be the wrong thread, I don't think they were particularly dirty as a whole. Yes, there were some meaty challenges early on, but in this division that is part of the battle at the start of a game, where you earn the right to play your football. And we did exactly that.

Having said that, though this may be the wrong thread, I don't think they were particularly dirty as a whole. Yes, there were some meaty challenges early on, but in this division that is part of the battle at the start of a game, where you earn the right to play your football. And we did exactly that.

No, as said elsewhere on here, they were dirty in their general mauling, pulling and tugging that they persisted in. It all stopped however in the second half when they realised they were getting short shrift from the referee.

Third crucial thing - that is the first time that we have played Whitaker wide-right and it has come off. The team's balance was excellent, and that enabled him to get on the ball in the opposition half and start to pull them around with some terrific passing. We've never made that work before for my money - he's always ended up just being marginalised - and it was key in us knocking the ball around.

Abbott was quality again, Parker (who I despise) played very well and took the goal nicely. Even Lomax (who is awful) played okay and knocked a couple of good balls around when he pushed on in the second half. Midfield two weren't stand out, but they did an excellent job in just holding them and getting the ball shifted quickly.

Most honourable mention though should go to the centre-halves. I've been watching them between my fingers most of this year, but they looked on it last night. Moreover their front two were dangerous and difficult, and I thought they coped very well. Still think we need a new first-choice in, but that's for another day!

Gregan looked incensed after the Hartlepool game, and maybe it isn't a coincidence that the team huddle and such has come after that point? Wounded pride can be a good motivator.

Worryingly though Taylor still doesn't look fully fit, and not just because he keeps dropping to his knees. A couple of good opportunities to attack the full-backs down the outside and he came in everytime. Looks like he doesn't fully trust himself yet...