10 games

It takes a while to be able to properly judge a team, many pundits come out with the "see where they are after 10 games", well we are 7th, joint 6th give or take 7 goals http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...ble/default.stm

The team is picking itself at the mo as we only have about 14 fit first teamers, so Penney can only change things a little bit but he has shown in the last few games that he is happy to drop and select players accordingly, :censored: one game, Colbeck another.

Tonight the lads played like they had won the last two, the heads went up against Carlisle and the gloom visibly lifted. After his scruffy goal against Carlisle; Parker was everywhere, he'd broken his duck and wanted another and he has carried that on for the last few games. The goal he scored tonight was that of a player happy with his lot, outside of the boot curling into the net to put the game safe (or so we thought) and with his tail up, that wasn't sailing into the RRE, it was busting the onion bag from the second he got the ball.

The whole team played like this, there were 3 points on offer tonight and we wanted them, we weren't playing like a team struggling for confidence and would have been happy to snatch a point, them upstarts didn't have a chance, we didn't let them. To think, not so long ago they mullered us 6-2, tonight we wouldn't have let in 6 if we had let them carry on playing after the final whistle.

Gutted for Brill tonight, he didn't deserve to let one in. Didn't have to face many shots but they had a long throw and a few corners, typical heart in mouth stuff for Latics fans, one point blank save that more hit him than saved but he was in the right place at the right time but you can't ask for more from a keeper than to be where he needs to be. Might be the beer talking but he became a Latics keeper for me tonight, I'm happy with him between the sticks, he might let some in but he is doing his bloody best to stop the ones he can.

Sheena scored a cracker, I was texting my mum about the freeview retune tomorrow so it caught me unawares but what a time to get the goal, set us right up. Greegs and Rubes did what they needed to do and covered for each other, simple defending, if they couldn't find a blue shirt they put it off the pitch and re-organised. If they do that for the rest of the season I will be happy. Kelvin is our right back, "simples" as the saying goes. Hopefully we keep Sheena for another month then Jacobson slots in and the back 5 are pretty much nailed on.

Midfield is working well, Penney seems to be picking from Furman, Taylor plus 2 others, occasionally 3 depending on who we are playing. Taylor does what he does and he does it well. He scares the brown stuff out of defences and wins free kicks, he cuts in, he goes outside and he picks and chooses when to do either. The scared rabbit is gone. Against Carlisle he went inside everytime until the last 3rd of the match, their fullback thought he knew what he was going to do then Chris just waltzed outside him and put a cross in, next time he got the ball it led to the goal. Keep him on the left, Shez knew what he was doing as he has left us with a better left winger than we could have hoped for.

Furman has shown glimpses of the player he can be, he wants a world cup slot and only way that is going to happen is if he pulls his tripe out for 98 minutes or so every game. The games we play are waiting to be dictated, the stage is there for you son, go and win us the games, do the fancy stuff in their half and find a blue shirt in ours, it is a simple game.

Whits and Colbeck offer attacking options but yet to really make the places their own. :censored: is shaping up to be a good player for us, would like to see the loan turn into a season long and then hopefully sign full-time but perhaps he is destined for better things. Kieran Lee is doing a fine job from the bench, would like to see him get a decent run in the middle and establish a partnership with Furman, we've got some tough games before the end of the season and think him and Furman could provide an effective barrier to the defence without the ball and some killer touches in possession.

Parker and Abbott have now found the net, Abbott drifts out to the wing a bit too much but he keeps the ball well and is good at bringing others into the attack, shame he can't get on the end of some of his good work on the wing but hopefully a midfielder bombing on can take advantage. Parker looks like a player enjoying himself, lovely bit of acceleration tonight to win a nothing ball, if he starts the games like that and put defences under pressure we could get many teams on the back foot, he will win many freekicks and pens for us.

We still have Smalley to come in, hopefully O'Grady to come back, now that he is finding the net for Dale he might have his scoring boots on when he comes back which will let Abbott have his op. If he brings back his hold-up target man game there won't be much difference to the way we are playing as that is the game Abbott is playing with his trips to the wing.

Early days but things are shaping nicely for me. A 0-3 stuffing by Yeovil knocks us back with a bump but I would be surprised if that happens. We will start at 100 miles an hour on Saturday, brimming with confidence and should have too much for them if the team pulls together like it has over the last 3 games. The sum of all our parts is greater than the individuals and it seems that Penney is getting them to play how he wants them to. Carry that into the next 10 games and we will be in a good position for the xmas games, come out of those well and we could kick on to spring.