Interview with an Opposition Fan

ste1987

#17 - Colchester United

Welcome to this week’s edition of Interview with an Opposition Fan. Each week, myself and Razza699 scour for opposition fans to answer the questions we put toward them in the build up to the subsequent fixture.

This week, Latics host Colchester United, who find themselves in 3rd place. As such, we asked some friendly U's fans to answer a selection of our questions....

1) So this is Aidy Boothroyd's first full season. Were you happy with his appointment and what is the fans opinion of him so far?

- It’s not a full season for him as he came in after Lamberts departure about 5 games into the season. I was very happy when he was revealed to us, not only for his reputation at higher leagues but after our last manager we seemed to have got someone in who would bring a 'friendly vibe' back to the club and less of a confrontational one. I think since he’s been here anyone who has met him or even listened to him has been impressed with how he has come across and from speaking to the odd player they all seem to feel much the same.

- I think I speak for of the fans when I say he was many people's top choice and if not in their top three. To get a manager of that standing is still quite disbelieving at times. At the moment its going get for us and naturally Mr. Boothroyd takes a lot of plaudits and is fast gaining an excellent rapport with the supporters but its early days and with what the last manager did many are being cautious still but overall most if not everyone is very happy with what his doing around the club.

- I was very happy with the appointment. I felt we were lucky to get him because with his pedigree and success at Watford, I thought Championship clubs would be sniffing around. Most fans are very happy with him; he comes across as an engaging character who communicates well with fans.

- Well strictly speaking not a full season as he took over from Lambtwat once he jumped ship for Norwich, but very happy with the appointment I think some U's fans were surprised we could attract a manager of such calibre but shows times are changing at 'little old Col U'. He has had an excellent start with only 1 league defeat so far to the MK Dons.

- Fantastic appointment, the man's a legend - in terms of man management I couldn't imagine a bigger contrast to our previous manager. Would agree that a plan B is sometimes lacking but I'm sure that is being worked on as I type.

2) How was your transfer activity in the window? Did you sign many players? If so how have they been?

- During the transfer window Lambert was in charge who to be fair has shown a knack of picking up the odd gem including Ben Williams in goal from Carlisle and recent team captain Magnus Okan...The Beast. Joel Thomas was unlucky that he’s seems to have been a panic buy from Lambert and as such has not had much pitch time. As Aidy has come in he has tried to change some personnel to suit his style which has surprised me that we have managed to stay this high in the league. During this period a few loan signings have been made including Danny Batth from wolves and centre half, John Joe O'toole from Watford in midfield and Kayodi Odejayi upfront from Barnsley. All have played there part in the team maintaining their lofty position.

- Pretty hectic with many comings and goings. We brought in the new keeper Ben Williams who has been an absolute revelation and is very popular. Lee Beevers and Magnus Okuonghae have come in at the back and whilst Beevers has been out since the start of Sept so we haven't had much chance to judge him but Okuonghae aka 'Beast' has been superb and could really go far in the game. Danny Batth has looked promising Midfield wise John Joe O'Toole has come in having been at Watford with Aidy and has look settled in League One but you get the feeling there’s more to come. David Fox ex-Man Utd started the season well but has only got back in the team after a spell out but was very impressive in the FA Cup at Bromley. Josh Payne is on a short term loan and looks ok for the level but can tell his only used to reserve football - still finding his feet. Up top Kevin Lisbie has continued where he left off when he was last with us and is defiantly a huge hit with the fans something his form only continues to inspire. Kayode Odejayi has been simply perfect since arriving and defiantly one we want as fans signed up permanently (our best danger at the moment). Joel Thomas unfortunately hasn't had much of a chance under Lambert or Boothroyd when he comes on he shows glimpses but little end product as he is still finding his feet.

- The previous manager signed several players in the summer, with the goal keeper Ben Williams, centre back Magnus Okuonghae and loan signing Kevin Lisbie have been the pick. Aidy has brought in some of his own loan players, with Danny Batth (Wolves), Jon-Joe O’Toole (Watford) and Kayode Odejayi (Barnsley) being the most notable ones.

- Credit to Lambchop he did bring in Magnus Okunghae(don't quote my spelling) who is probably the best young centre back in the league if not one of the best outside the premiership, he never seems to miss a headed clearance (as you'll see on Sat). And also getting Kevin Lisbie back on a season long loan is brilliant; as you'll know yourselves when you had Lee Hughes having a striker who is a class above this league is an awesome weapon to have. And Boothroyd has added to this with some inspired loan signings bringing in young centre back Danny Batth from Wolves, Central Midfielder John Joe O'Toole from Watford and Kayaode Odejayi from Barnsley all of which have been putting in brilliant performances week in week out.

- We signed a few, but obviously, none of those were Aidy Boothroyd signings. Kev Lisbie a very important acquisition. Since, we've signed a couple of other loanees who are also proving influential.

3) After finishing 12th last season what realistically are your hopes this year? A lot of people rate you as dark horses is this something fans agree with?

- We have quality players, a quality manager and a quality chairman willing to back him. In all honesty that has to be a mixture for success. Often reading other forums fans from other challengers seem to feel we will filter away due to our lack of squad depth however I would say the opposite with many feeling our squad at present is too big and with cash to spend in Jan we really should be looking at play offs at least.

- Last year was a disappointment or many fans it’s fair to say. We under-achieved and then took our time to get up and running then after a good run fell apart a bit again. With the squad we had we should have done better. This year it’s a lot fresher and the size of the squad has helped along with a good age balance. Most will say we look better than last year and results back that up. We don’t see ourselves as dark horses but if that’s how the rest of the league want to see us were take that were very happy in the shadows.

- I think play offs minimum is a realistic ambition. We are in the fortunate situation where we have a chairman who is willing to support the manager financially. Some fans feel that automatic promotion is a possibility, but I think play offs will be more likely.

- I think most fans minimum expectation this season is the play offs, we have one of the strongest squads in the league and a manager who has seen promotion before, I still think with a good run we can push Charlton all the way for 2nd spot. Leeds will run away with it.

- I'd say we're a bit more than dark horses. I'd be surprised if we didn't at least make the play-offs.

4) Are there any teams in particular you are looking forward to playing or not playing (or have played)??

- Yeovil’s always nice after our promotion there but I would say this year will be Southend; it looked like they could go to the wall for a while and although we are rivals no one really wants to see that happening so here’s to the Essex derby.

- Norwich, Norwich and Norwich. That’s the game (16th Jan) on everyone’s lips. Every fan wants to be at that game. With all that’s gone on there’s a very bitter taste in the mouth and a repeat of the 7-1 trashing may not be enough to relinquish that feeling. The usual derbies vs. Southend being on boxing day (away) and then just 6 weeks later are going to be popular as it is the key Essex fixture of the year.

- Norwich, Norwich and Norwich. Oh, did I mention Norwich? Our previous manager, Paul Lambert left for Norwich acrimoniously just two weeks into the season. The home fixture on January 16th at the WHCS is etched into the minds of most fans. He will get a hot reception!

- I think the match I've most looked forward to so far this season was Charlton at home with the return of ex U's Manager Phil Parkinson and a great result beating them 3-0. Coming up we have the big derby away at Southend on boxing day and we still have them to come at home in the new year along with MK dons and Southampton. All of which should be good competitive games.

- Looking forward to Brentford away, as an exile it’s the next game I'm going to be able to see!

5) What has been your general style of play/tactics this year? Is this likely to change for the trip to Oldham?

- It could depend on personal available. While we can be direct with two big men up front we have a few tricky wingers in hackney and at present Lisbie so would expect to see us isolate them against their full backs. If fox plays in midfield he will slow the game down to pick out defence splitting passes however without the midfield is likely to become a war of attrition.

- The tactics won’t change vs. Oldham just adapted to how every you play were try to counter that as any team does. The tactics will be when were on the ball were be looking to attack quickly whilst mixing up the approach. Were capable of playing some very nice football which may surprise people as many say we hoof it too much under Boothroyd. We seemed to adopt that tactic more under the cosh then all the time and it’s a tactic with good results in this league with the pacy powerful strikers we have.

- We play direct, attacking football. We have two combative central midfielders who break up play and screen the defence, and we look to get the ball forwards quickly to our two six-foot plus centre forwards who physically wear down the opposition’s central defenders. We have outlets wide with the tricky Kevin Lisbie, and the overlapping left back Marc Tierney.

- This season under Boothroyd we have been playing the sort of Target man football he played at Watford when they got promotion to the premier league, we have 2 huge strikers in Odejayi and Platt who will win most balls in the air and Odejayi has the strength and turn of pace to get by most defenders in this league as you'll see looking at his scoring record for us this season. I don't see us changing the style of play as it seems to have worked so far.

- Go 1-0 up and take it from there is the general plan....

6) You currently lie 3rd after the 2-2 draw to Exeter on Saturday, was it a fair result?

- No. In all honesty Exeter should have been 3-0 up within 5mins, they seemed to adapt to the conditions far better than us which was surprising considering they played neat passing compared to our more direct style.

- It was a terrible home game from the top down you’ll be told we weren’t at the races and many fans with much idea will tell you we were lucky and Exeter deserved all 3 points – they looked very good. But that’s the way to win promotion picking up points when not playing well and were doing that at the moment.

- We got out of jail on Saturday against Exeter. They adapted to the water logged conditions better than us and should have been 3-0 up and game over in the first six minutes.

- To be honest I think Exeter will feel hard done by not to come away with the 3 points it was played in terrible conditions with so much standing water on the pitch it should have been called off. But credit to Exeter they adapted their play much better than us and should have been 3-0 up in the first 10 mins but we battled back and managed to nick a point at the end.

- I wasn't at the game but from everything I have heard/read it was a fair result, but the U's underperformed to our normal level.

7) Who are Colchester’s key player/players? Who should the Oldham fans keep an eye out for on Saturday?

- Lisbie if he’s back is a class above for this league, even while playing wide right due to injuries he can panic defenders. Gillespie when he comes on (unless he starts) who has an abundance of ability and a real determination to play and score after a long period of injury problems.

- Lisbie if he plays is simply in hot form the goal scoring charts show that and along with Platty and Odejayi the attack is looking good especially as Simon Hackney seems to of found his feet and some form now. So our attack is defiantly the area to watch. Don’t let that fool you our defence is very strong as well with some excellent players and some to come back to it the only downside is we have let a few in lately but we shall be doing all we can to ensure that doesn’t happen again.

- Our key players are Magnus Okuonghae, who is a powerful central defender, Kevin Lisbie, who is too good for League 1 really, and Kayode Odejayi who is strong as an Ox, quick and on good goalscoring form (six in ten so far).

- Kevin Lisbie should hopefully be fit and will cause problems playing as a right winger. Odejayi will cause problems all afternoon for your defence with his size, speed and Strength. And our defence should be back to its normal solid self.

- They're all key players. Watch out for every single one.

8) Who do you think will win League One this season? Any outsiders or surprises?

- Leeds. They seem to have got an all round good team; however I do wonder if Beckford up sticks in Jan and one or two injuries hit what would happen.

- Leeds are looking strong but I would hate to see them walk away with it. However is still think they will get promoted 2nd or through the play-offs. The winner maybe a surprise as I think the bigger teams will find it harder as the ‘lesser’ teams raises their games to play them. I said Huddersfield would win it and stand by that but we won’t be far off nor Norwich and maybe even Southampton! Other competitors there will be Charlton, you, MK Dons and Bristol Rovers competing around the play-offs if not higher.

- Leeds are absolutely nailed on to win the league. The chasing pack including us are fighting for second place. Norwich and Charlton will challenge and I expect Southampton to be dark horses to make a late charge, having got over their points deduction.

- Leeds without a doubt, they are head and shoulders above other teams this season and can see them running away with it, probably by a good 15-20 points at the end of the season.

- Leeds will win by a street, with any one of Charlton, Norwich, MK Dons, Huddersfield, Millwall, Oldham and the U's to follow as runners up. If Southampton go on a real run they may sneak play-offs but I think they're too far behind already really.

9) How do you think Oldham will do this season?

- Just outside the play offs I think, maybe 7th - 10th due to there being a number of clubs who have spent big or could be classed as big clubs in the league this season.

- Top 8 as usual. It’s open at the top and if Oldham keeps their form I really think places will be decided in the last few weeks of the season for the majority of the league. It won’t be a surprise to see you guys in the play-offs though.

- I think you will finish around 12th, the same as us last year. It seems as though you are struggling to score goals this season. It must have been a blow to lose Lee Hughes to Notts County, as it looks like he has not been replaced. You seem to be quite strong defensively, looking at your goals conceded column this season. If Dave Penney can get a goal scorer on loan in the January transfer window, maybe you could push for a top ten finish.

- I can't see a promotion push this season for Oldham but I think you'll manage a comfortable upper mid table finish, my prediction 11th.

- As above I think Oldham will be challenging for 2nd-8th place along with the others above.

10) And finally, what score do you think the game will be on Saturday?

- 1-0 to the u's. Odejayi from a Platt flick on, it would be nice to get a clean sheet again so maybe the start of Baldwin in place of Batth.

- I can see either side nicking it by the odd goal (I’d like to think us 1-0) we always seem to score (touch wood) so if you were to win I’d say 2-1 but I’ll sit on the fence at 1-1. Good luck for the season (except when playing us) and see you Saturday

- 1-1 draw. We have only won two away games this season and have picked up most of our points at home.

- I think it'll be a tight affair but we'll probably just nick it, I’ll go 2-1 Col U.

- I have predicted 1-1 draw in our predictions comp. Goal from the mighty Clive Platt to continue his good form.

Many thanks to those Colchester fans who took part this week. Seems like they think Saturdays game will be tight and rather low on goals, but can Latics manage to take the 3 points?...

#17 - Colchester United

Welcome to this week’s edition of Interview with an Opposition Fan. Each week, myself and Razza699 scour for opposition fans to answer the questions we put toward them in the build up to the subsequent fixture.

This week, Latics host Colchester United, who find themselves in 3rd place. As such, we asked some friendly U's fans to answer a selection of our questions....

1) So this is Aidy Boothroyd's first full season. Were you happy with his appointment and what is the fans opinion of him so far?

- It’s not a full season for him as he came in after Lamberts departure about 5 games into the season. I was very happy when he was revealed to us, not only for his reputation at higher leagues but after our last manager we seemed to have got someone in who would bring a 'friendly vibe' back to the club and less of a confrontational one. I think since he’s been here anyone who has met him or even listened to him has been impressed with how he has come across and from speaking to the odd player they all seem to feel much the same.

- I think I speak for of the fans when I say he was many people's top choice and if not in their top three. To get a manager of that standing is still quite disbelieving at times. At the moment its going get for us and naturally Mr. Boothroyd takes a lot of plaudits and is fast gaining an excellent rapport with the supporters but its early days and with what the last manager did many are being cautious still but overall most if not everyone is very happy with what his doing around the club.

- I was very happy with the appointment. I felt we were lucky to get him because with his pedigree and success at Watford, I thought Championship clubs would be sniffing around. Most fans are very happy with him; he comes across as an engaging character who communicates well with fans.

- Well strictly speaking not a full season as he took over from Lambtwat once he jumped ship for Norwich, but very happy with the appointment I think some U's fans were surprised we could attract a manager of such calibre but shows times are changing at 'little old Col U'. He has had an excellent start with only 1 league defeat so far to the MK Dons.

- Fantastic appointment, the man's a legend - in terms of man management I couldn't imagine a bigger contrast to our previous manager. Would agree that a plan B is sometimes lacking but I'm sure that is being worked on as I type.

2) How was your transfer activity in the window? Did you sign many players? If so how have they been?

- During the transfer window Lambert was in charge who to be fair has shown a knack of picking up the odd gem including Ben Williams in goal from Carlisle and recent team captain Magnus Okan...The Beast. Joel Thomas was unlucky that he’s seems to have been a panic buy from Lambert and as such has not had much pitch time. As Aidy has come in he has tried to change some personnel to suit his style which has surprised me that we have managed to stay this high in the league. During this period a few loan signings have been made including Danny Batth from wolves and centre half, John Joe O'toole from Watford in midfield and Kayodi Odejayi upfront from Barnsley. All have played there part in the team maintaining their lofty position.

- Pretty hectic with many comings and goings. We brought in the new keeper Ben Williams who has been an absolute revelation and is very popular. Lee Beevers and Magnus Okuonghae have come in at the back and whilst Beevers has been out since the start of Sept so we haven't had much chance to judge him but Okuonghae aka 'Beast' has been superb and could really go far in the game. Danny Batth has looked promising Midfield wise John Joe O'Toole has come in having been at Watford with Aidy and has look settled in League One but you get the feeling there’s more to come. David Fox ex-Man Utd started the season well but has only got back in the team after a spell out but was very impressive in the FA Cup at Bromley. Josh Payne is on a short term loan and looks ok for the level but can tell his only used to reserve football - still finding his feet. Up top Kevin Lisbie has continued where he left off when he was last with us and is defiantly a huge hit with the fans something his form only continues to inspire. Kayode Odejayi has been simply perfect since arriving and defiantly one we want as fans signed up permanently (our best danger at the moment). Joel Thomas unfortunately hasn't had much of a chance under Lambert or Boothroyd when he comes on he shows glimpses but little end product as he is still finding his feet.

- The previous manager signed several players in the summer, with the goal keeper Ben Williams, centre back Magnus Okuonghae and loan signing Kevin Lisbie have been the pick. Aidy has brought in some of his own loan players, with Danny Batth (Wolves), Jon-Joe O’Toole (Watford) and Kayode Odejayi (Barnsley) being the most notable ones.

- Credit to Lambchop he did bring in Magnus Okunghae(don't quote my spelling) who is probably the best young centre back in the league if not one of the best outside the premiership, he never seems to miss a headed clearance (as you'll see on Sat). And also getting Kevin Lisbie back on a season long loan is brilliant; as you'll know yourselves when you had Lee Hughes having a striker who is a class above this league is an awesome weapon to have. And Boothroyd has added to this with some inspired loan signings bringing in young centre back Danny Batth from Wolves, Central Midfielder John Joe O'Toole from Watford and Kayaode Odejayi from Barnsley all of which have been putting in brilliant performances week in week out.

- We signed a few, but obviously, none of those were Aidy Boothroyd signings. Kev Lisbie a very important acquisition. Since, we've signed a couple of other loanees who are also proving influential.

3) After finishing 12th last season what realistically are your hopes this year? A lot of people rate you as dark horses is this something fans agree with?

- We have quality players, a quality manager and a quality chairman willing to back him. In all honesty that has to be a mixture for success. Often reading other forums fans from other challengers seem to feel we will filter away due to our lack of squad depth however I would say the opposite with many feeling our squad at present is too big and with cash to spend in Jan we really should be looking at play offs at least.

- Last year was a disappointment or many fans it’s fair to say. We under-achieved and then took our time to get up and running then after a good run fell apart a bit again. With the squad we had we should have done better. This year it’s a lot fresher and the size of the squad has helped along with a good age balance. Most will say we look better than last year and results back that up. We don’t see ourselves as dark horses but if that’s how the rest of the league want to see us were take that were very happy in the shadows.

- I think play offs minimum is a realistic ambition. We are in the fortunate situation where we have a chairman who is willing to support the manager financially. Some fans feel that automatic promotion is a possibility, but I think play offs will be more likely.

- I think most fans minimum expectation this season is the play offs, we have one of the strongest squads in the league and a manager who has seen promotion before, I still think with a good run we can push Charlton all the way for 2nd spot. Leeds will run away with it.

- I'd say we're a bit more than dark horses. I'd be surprised if we didn't at least make the play-offs.

4) Are there any teams in particular you are looking forward to playing or not playing (or have played)??

- Yeovil’s always nice after our promotion there but I would say this year will be Southend; it looked like they could go to the wall for a while and although we are rivals no one really wants to see that happening so here’s to the Essex derby.

- Norwich, Norwich and Norwich. That’s the game (16th Jan) on everyone’s lips. Every fan wants to be at that game. With all that’s gone on there’s a very bitter taste in the mouth and a repeat of the 7-1 trashing may not be enough to relinquish that feeling. The usual derbies vs. Southend being on boxing day (away) and then just 6 weeks later are going to be popular as it is the key Essex fixture of the year.

- Norwich, Norwich and Norwich. Oh, did I mention Norwich? Our previous manager, Paul Lambert left for Norwich acrimoniously just two weeks into the season. The home fixture on January 16th at the WHCS is etched into the minds of most fans. He will get a hot reception!

- I think the match I've most looked forward to so far this season was Charlton at home with the return of ex U's Manager Phil Parkinson and a great result beating them 3-0. Coming up we have the big derby away at Southend on boxing day and we still have them to come at home in the new year along with MK dons and Southampton. All of which should be good competitive games.

- Looking forward to Brentford away, as an exile it’s the next game I'm going to be able to see!

5) What has been your general style of play/tactics this year? Is this likely to change for the trip to Oldham?

- It could depend on personal available. While we can be direct with two big men up front we have a few tricky wingers in hackney and at present Lisbie so would expect to see us isolate them against their full backs. If fox plays in midfield he will slow the game down to pick out defence splitting passes however without the midfield is likely to become a war of attrition.

- The tactics won’t change vs. Oldham just adapted to how every you play were try to counter that as any team does. The tactics will be when were on the ball were be looking to attack quickly whilst mixing up the approach. Were capable of playing some very nice football which may surprise people as many say we hoof it too much under Boothroyd. We seemed to adopt that tactic more under the cosh then all the time and it’s a tactic with good results in this league with the pacy powerful strikers we have.

- We play direct, attacking football. We have two combative central midfielders who break up play and screen the defence, and we look to get the ball forwards quickly to our two six-foot plus centre forwards who physically wear down the opposition’s central defenders. We have outlets wide with the tricky Kevin Lisbie, and the overlapping left back Marc Tierney.

- This season under Boothroyd we have been playing the sort of Target man football he played at Watford when they got promotion to the premier league, we have 2 huge strikers in Odejayi and Platt who will win most balls in the air and Odejayi has the strength and turn of pace to get by most defenders in this league as you'll see looking at his scoring record for us this season. I don't see us changing the style of play as it seems to have worked so far.

- Go 1-0 up and take it from there is the general plan....

6) You currently lie 3rd after the 2-2 draw to Exeter on Saturday, was it a fair result?

- No. In all honesty Exeter should have been 3-0 up within 5mins, they seemed to adapt to the conditions far better than us which was surprising considering they played neat passing compared to our more direct style.

- It was a terrible home game from the top down you’ll be told we weren’t at the races and many fans with much idea will tell you we were lucky and Exeter deserved all 3 points – they looked very good. But that’s the way to win promotion picking up points when not playing well and were doing that at the moment.

- We got out of jail on Saturday against Exeter. They adapted to the water logged conditions better than us and should have been 3-0 up and game over in the first six minutes.

- To be honest I think Exeter will feel hard done by not to come away with the 3 points it was played in terrible conditions with so much standing water on the pitch it should have been called off. But credit to Exeter they adapted their play much better than us and should have been 3-0 up in the first 10 mins but we battled back and managed to nick a point at the end.

- I wasn't at the game but from everything I have heard/read it was a fair result, but the U's underperformed to our normal level.

7) Who are Colchester’s key player/players? Who should the Oldham fans keep an eye out for on Saturday?

- Lisbie if he’s back is a class above for this league, even while playing wide right due to injuries he can panic defenders. Gillespie when he comes on (unless he starts) who has an abundance of ability and a real determination to play and score after a long period of injury problems.

- Lisbie if he plays is simply in hot form the goal scoring charts show that and along with Platty and Odejayi the attack is looking good especially as Simon Hackney seems to of found his feet and some form now. So our attack is defiantly the area to watch. Don’t let that fool you our defence is very strong as well with some excellent players and some to come back to it the only downside is we have let a few in lately but we shall be doing all we can to ensure that doesn’t happen again.

- Our key players are Magnus Okuonghae, who is a powerful central defender, Kevin Lisbie, who is too good for League 1 really, and Kayode Odejayi who is strong as an Ox, quick and on good goalscoring form (six in ten so far).

- Kevin Lisbie should hopefully be fit and will cause problems playing as a right winger. Odejayi will cause problems all afternoon for your defence with his size, speed and Strength. And our defence should be back to its normal solid self.

- They're all key players. Watch out for every single one.

8) Who do you think will win League One this season? Any outsiders or surprises?

- Leeds. They seem to have got an all round good team; however I do wonder if Beckford up sticks in Jan and one or two injuries hit what would happen.

- Leeds are looking strong but I would hate to see them walk away with it. However is still think they will get promoted 2nd or through the play-offs. The winner maybe a surprise as I think the bigger teams will find it harder as the ‘lesser’ teams raises their games to play them. I said Huddersfield would win it and stand by that but we won’t be far off nor Norwich and maybe even Southampton! Other competitors there will be Charlton, you, MK Dons and Bristol Rovers competing around the play-offs if not higher.

- Leeds are absolutely nailed on to win the league. The chasing pack including us are fighting for second place. Norwich and Charlton will challenge and I expect Southampton to be dark horses to make a late charge, having got over their points deduction.

- Leeds without a doubt, they are head and shoulders above other teams this season and can see them running away with it, probably by a good 15-20 points at the end of the season.

- Leeds will win by a street, with any one of Charlton, Norwich, MK Dons, Huddersfield, Millwall, Oldham and the U's to follow as runners up. If Southampton go on a real run they may sneak play-offs but I think they're too far behind already really.

9) How do you think Oldham will do this season?

- Just outside the play offs I think, maybe 7th - 10th due to there being a number of clubs who have spent big or could be classed as big clubs in the league this season.

- Top 8 as usual. It’s open at the top and if Oldham keeps their form I really think places will be decided in the last few weeks of the season for the majority of the league. It won’t be a surprise to see you guys in the play-offs though.

- I think you will finish around 12th, the same as us last year. It seems as though you are struggling to score goals this season. It must have been a blow to lose Lee Hughes to Notts County, as it looks like he has not been replaced. You seem to be quite strong defensively, looking at your goals conceded column this season. If Dave Penney can get a goal scorer on loan in the January transfer window, maybe you could push for a top ten finish.

- I can't see a promotion push this season for Oldham but I think you'll manage a comfortable upper mid table finish, my prediction 11th.

- As above I think Oldham will be challenging for 2nd-8th place along with the others above.

10) And finally, what score do you think the game will be on Saturday?

- 1-0 to the u's. Odejayi from a Platt flick on, it would be nice to get a clean sheet again so maybe the start of Baldwin in place of Batth.

- I can see either side nicking it by the odd goal (I’d like to think us 1-0) we always seem to score (touch wood) so if you were to win I’d say 2-1 but I’ll sit on the fence at 1-1. Good luck for the season (except when playing us) and see you Saturday

- 1-1 draw. We have only won two away games this season and have picked up most of our points at home.

- I think it'll be a tight affair but we'll probably just nick it, I’ll go 2-1 Col U.

- I have predicted 1-1 draw in our predictions comp. Goal from the mighty Clive Platt to continue his good form.

Many thanks to those Colchester fans who took part this week. Seems like they think Saturdays game will be tight and rather low on goals, but can Latics manage to take the 3 points?...

They are deluded we won't finish above 17th.