Interview with an Opposition Fan

ste1987

#20 - Norwich City

Welcome to this week’s edition of Interview with an Opposition Fan. Each week, myself and Razza699 scour for opposition fans to answer the questions we put toward them in the build up to the subsequent fixture.

This week, Latics make the trip to newly relegated Norwich. As such, we found some Canary supporters to answer a selection of our questions...

1) So after relegation last year what are your plans this year? Are you aiming for automatic promotion?

- Yes. At the start of the season that seemed a million miles away, but since we now know we've got a team to compete with anything in the league, realistically we've got to aim for a top 2 finish. We know what a play-off final defeat feels like, so keen to avoid that if at all possible.

- Given our current form, automatic promotion seems like a realistic possibility now. However, this is Norwich, and nothing can be taken for granted here. We have a transfer window looming, and so far we have been pretty fortunate with a lack of injuries to key players. Apart from that, I'd say promotion this season is a financial necessity- if we don't make it, then we are in the brown stuff, right up to our windpipes.

- Really proud of the club that after our relegation & torrid start to the season that we have recovered to be 3rd currently in the table and our aim must be of course to go straight back up.

- The club clearly wants to go straight back up as evidenced by some recent board comments. And, much as I'm enjoying life in the third division, it's not somewhere I want the club to stay. Automatic promotion seems to be in touching distance now - the trouble is it does seem like a battle for second place. And going to Charlton needing a result may bring back some unpleasant memories.

- We are now. At the start of the season, any finish in the top half would have been seen as a success (by me!).

2) You started the season with Gunn in charge then switched to Lambert after he left Colchester. Are fans happier with the latter?

- In hindsight, getting turned over 1-7 on the opening day was the best start to the season we could have had. That might sound harsh on Gunn, but it shouldn't be taken that way. He was in an impossible position. Can't criticize him for wanting the manager's job, but he should never have been given it for the second time, after proving that he wasn't up to it the previous season. He was appointed in the summer when the club had no chairman or chief exec - which was insane. The manager should have been appointed after those two roles were filled.

- Gunn was a great player, is a great ambassador for the club and the city, a club legend, and a thoroughly decent guy. Lambert is a genius of a football manager, who is working wonders with this squad of players.

- The fans are really happy. The highest home att. in the league shows this. Even out supporting the mighty Leeds.

- When Gunn was first appointed his long-time legend status meant that we wanted him to succeed. It was clear at Charlton that this wasn't going to happen and the kindest and most dignified thing to do would have been to say farewell and thanks after that match. We didn't; we may still regret those first three results of the season but Lambert seems to be working miracles - the first manager we've had in a run of many who hasn't had the luxury of signing a load of his 'own' players and has got players like Hoolahan playing to their best.

- Yes, Lambert has turned the team around. There are still some fans that think Gunn would have done as well as Lambert, but they are in a very small minority.

3) How were your transfer dealings in the transfer and loan market? Any good signings?

- Having just said that Gunn shouldn't have been manager, he actually managed to get us a couple of gems in his summer dealings. Jens Berthel Askou, Grant Holt. Can't comment on the recent loans, they've only been here five minutes.

- Grant Holt and Jens Berthel Askou have turned out to be fantastic signings. There's been mixed success with the others, so far.

- We changed a lot of the team before the season started, a lot on frees with a few bought. We have 3 loanees at present with the view to perhaps buy 2 of them in Jan as we try to build into a promotion/champ team.

- Super Jens Berthel Askou, the Great Dane - no JBA, no WIN. And Grant Holt of course. Our most obvious loan signing is Fraser Forster, who despite a bit of Marshallesque kicking has been pretty damned solid.

- Of the players that Gunn signed, Grant Holt has been outstanding, and Askou has been a real find. Stephen Hughes is also a very good player. The jury is very much out on other signings, Wiggins, Tudur Jones, & Gill. Other signings have been a disaster, Theoklitis the keeper, Whaley, loaned to two clubs already, and Maric, now released. Of the players that Lambert has signed, keeper Forster has been very good, and it’s too early to judge on the other two, Russell Martin and McNamee. It also seems like we have a bunch of “other” new players as Lambert has been giving the youngsters a chance, and overall they have done very well.

4) Are you looking forward to/have played any teams this year?

- Not especially. However I do a lot of work for a big organisation in Oldham, so if we get a win next week I'll look forward to a bit of a gloat about that.

- I've really enjoyed the 'old fashioned' terrace atmosphere at some of the grounds (Hartlepool, for instance). I'm looking forward to Col U away and Leeds at home.

- It has to be Leeds after our narrow loss at Elland road & their place in the league.

- Looking forward to Leeds at home, going to a couple more of the nice grounds (Yeovil next) but really enjoying any team who'd like to lose to us.

- Gillingham for some strange reason. Local to London, two minutes from the train station, and a pub and a chippy between the station and the ground.

5) What has been your general style of play/tactics this year? Is this likely to change for the game against Oldham?

- Diamond formation in midfield, with Hoolahan playing in an advanced midfield role behind Grant Holt and Chris Martin. Don't see any reason, other than injury, why that would change - not many teams in the league have been comfortable with it.

- We play a diamond midfield. It was introduced by Lambert and his coaches, because we don't have any decent wingers, and our most creative player (Hoolahan) is best just behind the strikers. It is working because we have the right players playing in the right positions. (sounds simple I know, but the concept has proved beyond several recent managers).

- Currently playing the diamond and would expect it to be the same on Saturday.

- Why change the winning diamond - it took a while to find how Wes could play the best and now we've found it we'll continue to use it. Even though teams expect it, it's difficult to play against unless you park the midfield bus a la Carlisle.

- Midfield diamond has worked well this season, and I see no reason at all for it to change against Oldham.

6) You currently lie 3rd after beating Southend 0-3 on Tuesday. Fair result?

- Wasn't there, but I'm told that while 0-3 flattered us slightly, there was no doubt that we deserved the win.

- Yes. We were better than Southend, who are no mugs.

- Both Brighton & Southend were fair results but hard earned. We let ourselves down at Carlisle in the FA cup but well done them they deserved it.

- Wasn't there - but sounds like we did the same as we've done a few times this season - wear out the opposition and take advantage later on.

- Yes. We were the better team. Once we scored first we were always going to win. 2-0 would have been a fairer result.

7) Who are Norwich’s key player/players? Who should the Oldham fans keep an eye out for on Saturday?

- #1 Grant Holt, #2 Wes Hoolihan.

- Grant Holt, Wes Hoolahan, Matthew Gibson.

- The two Hs Holt & Hoolie but it’s a team, that’s why we have scored more than any other team in the league.

- Grant Holt of course - and listen out to see if he finally has his own chant. Super Jens. Little Weslington Hoolahoopahan who will wriggle. And one of our own youngsters - Korey Smith - who is going to go on to great things, we hope with Norwich.

- Wes Hoolahan and Grant Holt are the danger men. Jen Bertal Askou is a very solid defender.

8) Who do you think will win League One this season? Any outsiders or surprises?

- Dirty Leeds. I think the wheels will fall off at Charlton eventually. That might be wishful thinking. Then there's five or six that will have a reasonable chance of the playoffs - the likes of Southampton, Colchester, Huddersfield, Millwall.

- Leeds- they are too far in front already, and don't look like they're going to have a wobble.

- Hate to say it but Leeds are in the driving seat. No surprises. Any of the top 8 to 10 have a chance.

- Leeds look too comfortable. There'll probably be a surprise team making the playoffs but not much different from how things currently stand.

- Leeds. We are all playing for second place, but there is a long way to go.

9) How do you think Oldham will do this season?

- Not convinced you'll threaten the play-offs after a ropey start, but you'll be OK. Penney was fancied by some on here, in the past, to take over at Norwich when Grant left.

- Mid-table or slightly higher. Do you still have the plastic pitch? I bloody loved that. I remember Mark Robins' hat trick to take us top of the premiership- how times change, eh?

- Mid table. You can play very well & then seem to lose the plot.

- I really don't know, but you seem to have turned into one of those teams that are quite happy to be in this division and play to stay in that mid-table spot. Aim to be that surprise in the play-off!

- To be honest I’ve no idea, but that goes for a number of teams in League 1. We’ve already seen some very poor teams so far this season, so if you are better than some we have seen so far I’ll predict mid-table.

10) And finally what do you think the score will be on Saturday?

- Oldham won't stop us scoring, and if Jens Berthel Askou plays it'll be a clean sheet, so I'm saying 2-0 Norwich win. We love big Jens.

- Saturday? Sorry, I never predict NCFC results.

- Depends on whether you come to defend or come to play. If the former I'd think we'd still sneak a win, if the latter we'll probably score three. Just hope not to have a repeat of the Walsall bore-draw.

- I would hope we win but it’s still 11 v 11. My prediction 2-0 to city. I hope all your away supporters enjoy their trip to our fair city.

- As Oldham don't seem to have scored or conceded many goals, I’ll predict a 2-0 to Norwich.

Many thanks to those Norwich fans that answered our questions this week! They seem to have us sussed down to a T regarding how we will finish this season. But can Latics bounce back from the midweek loss against Leeds?...

#20 - Norwich City

Welcome to this week’s edition of Interview with an Opposition Fan. Each week, myself and Razza699 scour for opposition fans to answer the questions we put toward them in the build up to the subsequent fixture.

This week, Latics make the trip to newly relegated Norwich. As such, we found some Canary supporters to answer a selection of our questions...

1) So after relegation last year what are your plans this year? Are you aiming for automatic promotion?

- Yes. At the start of the season that seemed a million miles away, but since we now know we've got a team to compete with anything in the league, realistically we've got to aim for a top 2 finish. We know what a play-off final defeat feels like, so keen to avoid that if at all possible.

- Given our current form, automatic promotion seems like a realistic possibility now. However, this is Norwich, and nothing can be taken for granted here. We have a transfer window looming, and so far we have been pretty fortunate with a lack of injuries to key players. Apart from that, I'd say promotion this season is a financial necessity- if we don't make it, then we are in the brown stuff, right up to our windpipes.

- Really proud of the club that after our relegation & torrid start to the season that we have recovered to be 3rd currently in the table and our aim must be of course to go straight back up.

- The club clearly wants to go straight back up as evidenced by some recent board comments. And, much as I'm enjoying life in the third division, it's not somewhere I want the club to stay. Automatic promotion seems to be in touching distance now - the trouble is it does seem like a battle for second place. And going to Charlton needing a result may bring back some unpleasant memories.

- We are now. At the start of the season, any finish in the top half would have been seen as a success (by me!).

2) You started the season with Gunn in charge then switched to Lambert after he left Colchester. Are fans happier with the latter?

- In hindsight, getting turned over 1-7 on the opening day was the best start to the season we could have had. That might sound harsh on Gunn, but it shouldn't be taken that way. He was in an impossible position. Can't criticize him for wanting the manager's job, but he should never have been given it for the second time, after proving that he wasn't up to it the previous season. He was appointed in the summer when the club had no chairman or chief exec - which was insane. The manager should have been appointed after those two roles were filled.

- Gunn was a great player, is a great ambassador for the club and the city, a club legend, and a thoroughly decent guy. Lambert is a genius of a football manager, who is working wonders with this squad of players.

- The fans are really happy. The highest home att. in the league shows this. Even out supporting the mighty Leeds.

- When Gunn was first appointed his long-time legend status meant that we wanted him to succeed. It was clear at Charlton that this wasn't going to happen and the kindest and most dignified thing to do would have been to say farewell and thanks after that match. We didn't; we may still regret those first three results of the season but Lambert seems to be working miracles - the first manager we've had in a run of many who hasn't had the luxury of signing a load of his 'own' players and has got players like Hoolahan playing to their best.

- Yes, Lambert has turned the team around. There are still some fans that think Gunn would have done as well as Lambert, but they are in a very small minority.

3) How were your transfer dealings in the transfer and loan market? Any good signings?

- Having just said that Gunn shouldn't have been manager, he actually managed to get us a couple of gems in his summer dealings. Jens Berthel Askou, Grant Holt. Can't comment on the recent loans, they've only been here five minutes.

- Grant Holt and Jens Berthel Askou have turned out to be fantastic signings. There's been mixed success with the others, so far.

- We changed a lot of the team before the season started, a lot on frees with a few bought. We have 3 loanees at present with the view to perhaps buy 2 of them in Jan as we try to build into a promotion/champ team.

- Super Jens Berthel Askou, the Great Dane - no JBA, no WIN. And Grant Holt of course. Our most obvious loan signing is Fraser Forster, who despite a bit of Marshallesque kicking has been pretty damned solid.

- Of the players that Gunn signed, Grant Holt has been outstanding, and Askou has been a real find. Stephen Hughes is also a very good player. The jury is very much out on other signings, Wiggins, Tudur Jones, & Gill. Other signings have been a disaster, Theoklitis the keeper, Whaley, loaned to two clubs already, and Maric, now released. Of the players that Lambert has signed, keeper Forster has been very good, and it’s too early to judge on the other two, Russell Martin and McNamee. It also seems like we have a bunch of “other” new players as Lambert has been giving the youngsters a chance, and overall they have done very well.

4) Are you looking forward to/have played any teams this year?

- Not especially. However I do a lot of work for a big organisation in Oldham, so if we get a win next week I'll look forward to a bit of a gloat about that.

- I've really enjoyed the 'old fashioned' terrace atmosphere at some of the grounds (Hartlepool, for instance). I'm looking forward to Col U away and Leeds at home.

- It has to be Leeds after our narrow loss at Elland road & their place in the league.

- Looking forward to Leeds at home, going to a couple more of the nice grounds (Yeovil next) but really enjoying any team who'd like to lose to us.

- Gillingham for some strange reason. Local to London, two minutes from the train station, and a pub and a chippy between the station and the ground.

5) What has been your general style of play/tactics this year? Is this likely to change for the game against Oldham?

- Diamond formation in midfield, with Hoolahan playing in an advanced midfield role behind Grant Holt and Chris Martin. Don't see any reason, other than injury, why that would change - not many teams in the league have been comfortable with it.

- We play a diamond midfield. It was introduced by Lambert and his coaches, because we don't have any decent wingers, and our most creative player (Hoolahan) is best just behind the strikers. It is working because we have the right players playing in the right positions. (sounds simple I know, but the concept has proved beyond several recent managers).

- Currently playing the diamond and would expect it to be the same on Saturday.

- Why change the winning diamond - it took a while to find how Wes could play the best and now we've found it we'll continue to use it. Even though teams expect it, it's difficult to play against unless you park the midfield bus a la Carlisle.

- Midfield diamond has worked well this season, and I see no reason at all for it to change against Oldham.

6) You currently lie 3rd after beating Southend 0-3 on Tuesday. Fair result?

- Wasn't there, but I'm told that while 0-3 flattered us slightly, there was no doubt that we deserved the win.

- Yes. We were better than Southend, who are no mugs.

- Both Brighton & Southend were fair results but hard earned. We let ourselves down at Carlisle in the FA cup but well done them they deserved it.

- Wasn't there - but sounds like we did the same as we've done a few times this season - wear out the opposition and take advantage later on.

- Yes. We were the better team. Once we scored first we were always going to win. 2-0 would have been a fairer result.

7) Who are Norwich’s key player/players? Who should the Oldham fans keep an eye out for on Saturday?

- #1 Grant Holt, #2 Wes Hoolihan.

- Grant Holt, Wes Hoolahan, Matthew Gibson.

- The two Hs Holt & Hoolie but it’s a team, that’s why we have scored more than any other team in the league.

- Grant Holt of course - and listen out to see if he finally has his own chant. Super Jens. Little Weslington Hoolahoopahan who will wriggle. And one of our own youngsters - Korey Smith - who is going to go on to great things, we hope with Norwich.

- Wes Hoolahan and Grant Holt are the danger men. Jen Bertal Askou is a very solid defender.

8) Who do you think will win League One this season? Any outsiders or surprises?

- Dirty Leeds. I think the wheels will fall off at Charlton eventually. That might be wishful thinking. Then there's five or six that will have a reasonable chance of the playoffs - the likes of Southampton, Colchester, Huddersfield, Millwall.

- Leeds- they are too far in front already, and don't look like they're going to have a wobble.

- Hate to say it but Leeds are in the driving seat. No surprises. Any of the top 8 to 10 have a chance.

- Leeds look too comfortable. There'll probably be a surprise team making the playoffs but not much different from how things currently stand.

- Leeds. We are all playing for second place, but there is a long way to go.

9) How do you think Oldham will do this season?

- Not convinced you'll threaten the play-offs after a ropey start, but you'll be OK. Penney was fancied by some on here, in the past, to take over at Norwich when Grant left.

- Mid-table or slightly higher. Do you still have the plastic pitch? I bloody loved that. I remember Mark Robins' hat trick to take us top of the premiership- how times change, eh?

- Mid table. You can play very well & then seem to lose the plot.

- I really don't know, but you seem to have turned into one of those teams that are quite happy to be in this division and play to stay in that mid-table spot. Aim to be that surprise in the play-off!

- To be honest I’ve no idea, but that goes for a number of teams in League 1. We’ve already seen some very poor teams so far this season, so if you are better than some we have seen so far I’ll predict mid-table.

10) And finally what do you think the score will be on Saturday?

- Oldham won't stop us scoring, and if Jens Berthel Askou plays it'll be a clean sheet, so I'm saying 2-0 Norwich win. We love big Jens.

- Saturday? Sorry, I never predict NCFC results.

- Depends on whether you come to defend or come to play. If the former I'd think we'd still sneak a win, if the latter we'll probably score three. Just hope not to have a repeat of the Walsall bore-draw.

- I would hope we win but it’s still 11 v 11. My prediction 2-0 to city. I hope all your away supporters enjoy their trip to our fair city.

- As Oldham don't seem to have scored or conceded many goals, I’ll predict a 2-0 to Norwich.

Many thanks to those Norwich fans that answered our questions this week! They seem to have us sussed down to a T regarding how we will finish this season. But can Latics bounce back from the midweek loss against Leeds?...

if we keep Grant Holt out of the game for 90 its well done job we should be ok it will be a hard game but its a must win for us but its hard to say what will happen on saturday.

Edited by RoyleArmy