Positions

I should say, I'm not a 'Penney outer' however I have to call it as I see it.

If you were playing for Latics yesterday ask yourself a question: "What position am I playing?"

During that one game alone:

Kieran Lee. Naturally a central midfielder. Played right back for an hour and left side of a defensive three for half an hour.

Danny Whitaker. Naturally a central midfielder. Player centre mid for an hour, right wing for a bit and then back to centre mid for a bit more. Then a spell on the left wing.

Dean Furman. Came on in centre mid. Had a spell just off the front two, as the deep midfielder and then at right back for a bit.

There's been more examples throughout the season.

Yesterday he took off Joe Jacobsen and moved Kieran Lee from right back (not really his position) to play left side of a defensive three. EH!? You've taken off a player who plays at centre half for the reserves to play a midfielder there, only to then have to play ANOTHER midfielder at right back because you want to be more defensive again?

Why not just play JJ at right back and put Lee into centre mid, where he plays anyway!?

It's not Champ Manager. Just because it says "Lee, Kieran. M/D LRC" doesn't mean he can actually play there!!

It's not Champ Manager. Just because it says "Lee, Kieran. M/D LRC" doesn't mean he can actually play there!!

haha i think many have had the same thought. When Penny makes a sub we make a load of changes to the team as well i spose some of its dictated by personnel but it also shows we have no squad depth

We really should give Lee a go in the middle him and Stephens would be a decent partnership me thinks. Furman sits to deep and doesnt attack, Whitts is too light weight if we get a RB fit id like to see Lee in the middle.

haha i think many have had the same thought. When Penny makes a sub we make a load of changes to the team as well i spose some of its dictated by personnel but it also shows we have no squad depth

We really should give Lee a go in the middle him and Stephens would be a decent partnership me thinks. Furman sits to deep and doesnt attack, Whitts is too light weight if we get a RB fit id like to see Lee in the middle.

Furman is the holding midfielder though. You need that. Twice yesterday he tracked a run that no one else had even seen and prevented a certain (although after that miss from #9 I'm not sure) goal.

He's not the player people expected him to be - he's basically doing Jon Worthington's job and I think people take that for granted.

A Stephens/Lee midfield would be overrun and we'd be three down before they had chance to influence the game at the other end.

I should say, I'm not a 'Penney outer' however I have to call it as I see it.

If you were playing for Latics yesterday ask yourself a question: "What position am I playing?"

During that one game alone:

Kieran Lee. Naturally a central midfielder. Played right back for an hour and left side of a defensive three for half an hour.

Danny Whitaker. Naturally a central midfielder. Player centre mid for an hour, right wing for a bit and then back to centre mid for a bit more. Then a spell on the left wing.

Dean Furman. Came on in centre mid. Had a spell just off the front two, as the deep midfielder and then at right back for a bit.

There's been more examples throughout the season.

Yesterday he took off Joe Jacobsen and moved Kieran Lee from right back (not really his position) to play left side of a defensive three. EH!? You've taken off a player who plays at centre half for the reserves to play a midfielder there, only to then have to play ANOTHER midfielder at right back because you want to be more defensive again?

Why not just play JJ at right back and put Lee into centre mid, where he plays anyway!?

That is something of a worry; and it's been happening all too often recently.

DP's subs tend to involve 3+ positional changes per sub. On saturday; Chrissy T got given a piece of paper to read and then pass to Lee & then Furman. That was after Lee had shouted to Gray asking exactly where he was being asked to move to and who was now his man.....

Every sub involves 5 mins of panic as players have to re-adjust and the team stuggles to find its shape again.

I can't remember the exact game; but one of the home games just before Xmas involved Deane Smalley playing in 6 positions over the 90mins. I remember that specifically as we all had a joke about it around where i sit; can't recall the opposition though. 6 different positions FFS.

Tactics are mind-boggling, subs are the same. In fact; this season has been too.......

Is Lee a central midfielder though? I have never seen any of our managers play him there. He didn't play there either in the Man United game I saw him play in. Didn't he play RW for QPR?

Players today are very versatile they can play in a number of positions. For me Full Backs and Centre Mids in the modern game at professional level should on the whole possess very similar attributes.

Is Lee a central midfielder though? I have never seen any of our managers play him there. He didn't play there either in the Man United game I saw him play in. Didn't he play RW for QPR?

Players today are very versatile they can play in a number of positions. For me Full Backs and Centre Mids in the modern game at professional level should on the whole possess very similar attributes.

Lee is able to play right back and did for United on a couple of occasions. But watching him this year his best performances were always as the ball playing midfielder. He made one great goal and scored another in the ressies this year from that position.

However I'd despute the versatility point. Whilst I agree players should be able to cover multiple positions as the need arrises using this as an actual tactic - playing players constantly out of position - or more than one position a game - is just poor man-management.

Also, as I said above - why are we taking off a left-sided full/centre back to move a right-sided midfielder/full back into a back three? That's simply illogical.

we have been playing whitts and stephens for the last few games... Lee would be an improvement over whittaker point taken about Furman

agree but dp said in a recent interview that midfield was covered so dont think he will get a game there,its a shame would have liked to see him get a do

i can presume that jj picked up a knock on saturday, otherwise movin lee on the left hand side would be illogical? I can understand why you put on a defender for a striker, er midfielder, who is it's debut and chances are limited, eaves although a couple of apps has yt to score a goal, where is brooke? He sort of knows where the net is. Why is stephens' protected why doesn't he get subbed? Not saying he deserved to get subbed but.... You want more attacking options?