so what happens now

we will not be relegated so what about the close season - For me DP stays give him a chance to build on the end of season run and more importantly the spirit being shown. That being the case what does he do to avoid another close season which brings up to nine new faces - or do we need nine new faces.

To start where do I get nine from

Aljofree -short term fix will go

Purdie - will he ever be fit -could go

Flahavan - would like to see him stay but again could go

Colbeck -already gone - Ihope

Parker - same as colbeck

Fleming - will not return

:censored: - could do a job but is the rift really over-

Goodwin - could go back over the hill for me

Guy - sign him up -but not done yet - so could still go

There could be more ( Brill +)but what we don't need is another close season of wholesale change - for me we should make every effort to keep Flahavan, Guy and :censored: - if that was done plus a possible second keeper I would be happy

to go into the close season looking just for another central defender and giving more opportunities to some of the youth players.

It also would send out the message that DP knows his squad and is happy with the players - no mean thing after some of the buying and loaning of this season.

Presumably some of the wages saved could be made available to purchase a couple of sound players if available -but not out of panic.

I for one would welcome a close season with little change and time for consolidation

we will not be relegated so what about the close season - For me DP stays give him a chance to build on the end of season run and more importantly the spirit being shown. That being the case what does he do to avoid another close season which brings up to nine new faces - or do we need nine new faces.

Aljofree -short term fix will go - Agreed BUT we will need cheap (from a budget point of view) cover for Gregan/Hazell

Purdie - will he ever be fit -could go - No he won't go. I believe that DP has tremendous faith in the lad and will add an extra dimension to the team.

Flahavan - would like to see him stay but again could go - Agreed would like to see him stay but we won't need 3 keepers and as Brill has a contract for another 12 months the best we can hope for is 1 from Flahaven and Fleming to stay, the preference currently would be Flahaven, but will the budget allow this

Colbeck -already gone - Ihope - Wrong. I would fully expect Colbeck to be here next season, unless someone else sees the same potential that DP did and offers us a fee

Parker - same as colbeck - Out of contract will not get a new one

Fleming - will not return - See Flahaven above and would agree with your comment

:censored: - could do a job but is the rift really over- Agreed. Would like to see him stay and continue his development but will Blackburn allow this or will they take him back or look for him to play in the Championship?

Goodwin - could go back over the hill for me - See where your coming from and think that is the most likely scenario. Short term signing for me and with Lee now looking the consumate right back and Holdsworth to come back to cover Right back and midfield the money can be better used elsewhere

Guy - sign him up -but not done yet - so could still go - Would like to see him signed but again it will depend on his wage demands and who else is in for him

There could be more ( Brill +)but what we don't need is another close season of wholesale change - for me we should make every effort to keep Flahavan, Guy and :censored: - if that was done plus a possible second keeper I would be happy

to go into the close season looking just for another central defender and giving more opportunities to some of the youth players. - Agreed

It also would send out the message that DP knows his squad and is happy with the players - no mean thing after some of the buying and loaning of this season. - Agreed

Presumably some of the wages saved could be made available to purchase a couple of sound players if available -but not out of panic. - Agreed

I for one would welcome a close season with little change and time for consolidation - Agreed

In summary, Aljofree, Parker and Goodwin are probably 95% + not to be here next season. After Brill's poor 1st half to the season, the fact that Fleming was not recalled in January would suggest that he will also not return next season. :censored:'s situation is out of our hands so at present I would say that it is 50/50 or less that he will remain here next season

Colbeck, Brill and Purdie are 95%+ to remain.

Flahaven and Guy's positions will be decided on who else wants to sign them and budget restrictions so it is hard to put that into perspective as to their chances of staying.

So the players staying from the current squad who are all under contract would be: -

Brill

Holdsworth

Hazell

Gregan

Jacobson

Black

Smalley

Colbeck

Furman

Worthington

Stephens

Taylor

Abbott

Brooke

Eaves

Miller

Plus Not sure on the contract situations of Lomax and Allesandra, but I think that 1 or both still have 12 months left. If not I would release both to free up room in the budget.

Of the Players out of contract I would offer Lee a new one but release Whittaker on the basis that Purdie will return to fitness and free up room in the budget

If :censored: could be re-signed for another 12 months he would be able to play right back, central midfiled and even, as he has already this season, act as cover at Centre half.

My preference would then be to sign Flahaven, Guy AND Nardiello plus cover for centre half.

That would give a very strong squad of 22/24 and would negate the need for loan signings during the course of the season. That squad would also have enough goalscoring threat to add another 20+ goals to this seasons total and comfortably see us at least top half and even challenging for the play offs.

There might not be enough in the budget to cover all the above but if it was achievable, it would allow Penny to build on the last 6 weeks big improvement where the introduction of first Nariello and then Guy have seen us become a little more expansive in our play and subsequently the number of goals scored per game has improved and we have scored twice in 5 of the last 11 games.

A fit Taylor and a fit and consistent Smalley will have big parts to play unless 1 or both are sold.

I would be more than happy with that squad and it would mean only 1 outright new signing to cover centre back plus 4 returning loanees, giving us consistency going into the new season.

This summer will be a very interesting one throughout the football league where more players than ever have to re evaluate their futures. I think there will be the odd "big name" dropping down into the lower league just to hang on to a job. Not saying any will end up at Latics, but free transfers will be everywhere.

*Big name is probably not the correct term, surprise signing may be more appropriate. The ones willing to go down will be the ones who still want to play too.

In summary, Aljofree, Parker and Goodwin are probably 95% + not to be here next season. After Brill's poor 1st half to the season, the fact that Fleming was not recalled in January would suggest that he will also not return next season. :censored:'s situation is out of our hands so at present I would say that it is 50/50 or less that he will remain here next season

Colbeck, Brill and Purdie are 95%+ to remain.

Flahaven and Guy's positions will be decided on who else wants to sign them and budget restrictions so it is hard to put that into perspective as to their chances of staying.

So the players staying from the current squad who are all under contract would be: -

Brill

Holdsworth

Hazell

Gregan

Jacobson

Black

Smalley

Colbeck

Furman

Worthington

Stephens

Taylor

Abbott

Brooke

Eaves

Miller

Plus Not sure on the contract situations of Lomax and Allesandra, but I think that 1 or both still have 12 months left. If not I would release both to free up room in the budget.

Of the Players out of contract I would offer Lee a new one but release Whittaker on the basis that Purdie will return to fitness and free up room in the budget

If :censored: could be re-signed for another 12 months he would be able to play right back, central midfiled and even, as he has already this season, act as cover at Centre half.

My preference would then be to sign Flahaven, Guy AND Nardiello plus cover for centre half.

That would give a very strong squad of 22/24 and would negate the need for loan signings during the course of the season. That squad would also have enough goalscoring threat to add another 20+ goals to this seasons total and comfortably see us at least top half and even challenging for the play offs.

There might not be enough in the budget to cover all the above but if it was achievable, it would allow Penny to build on the last 6 weeks big improvement where the introduction of first Nariello and then Guy have seen us become a little more expansive in our play and subsequently the number of goals scored per game has improved and we have scored twice in 5 of the last 11 games.

A fit Taylor and a fit and consistent Smalley will have big parts to play unless 1 or both are sold.

I would be more than happy with that squad and it would mean only 1 outright new signing to cover centre back plus 4 returning loanees, giving us consistency going into the new season.

Best shout Ive heard, had a blinder against Orient, he instilled a lot of energy which we missed all season from our wingers, and got in some good positions. Would very much like to see him fit and in a blue shirt next year

Harsh on Whitaker I feel lads...

While the guy has serious weaknesses as a footballer he does have qualities. He picks a pass, seems to have good vision and is the best striker of a ball at the club - to me that is a guy that offers us something. Stephens will be a starter next year for sure, but who do we put alongside? Furman, Worthington and :censored: (maybe not next year but still) all play similar games and Whitaker is the only guy we have that offers something a bit different - I would go so far as to say the best footballing performances that Latics have produced post-Kilkenny have been based around Whitaker having a good game.

Not a regular starter, but if we are slugging it at home to bottom of the league and desperately need a goal then who would you rather bring on to try and open something up; Whitaker or Worthington? Still think he can do a job for us as a late arrival on the pitch, when the midfield is a bit more fragmented and there is a bit of space for him to use, both to pass and to get to the edge of the box and hit one.

Aljofree -short term fix will go

Purdie - will he ever be fit -could go

Flahavan - would like to see him stay but again could go

Colbeck -already gone - Ihope

Parker - same as colbeck

Fleming - will not return

:censored: - could do a job but is the rift really over-

Goodwin - could go back over the hill for me

Guy - sign him up -but not done yet - so could still go

to go into the close season looking just for another central defender and giving more opportunities to some of the youth players.

It also would send out the message that DP knows his squad and is happy with the players - no mean thing after some of the buying and loaning of this season.

Presumably some of the wages saved could be made available to purchase a couple of sound players if available -but not out of panic.

I for one would welcome a close season with little change and time for consolidation

I hope purdie doesnt go, for a start i dont see who else would want to give him a try being out for the season, plus he knows the manager well and would probably be ok in staying,

from the list that looks to me like what would happen in worse case scenario, I dont think there will be that many leaving BP, I could be wrong but htat lists makes the assumption that none of the loanees we have will be staying or purdie, and we wont miss fleming anyway seen as we havent seen him, probably get rid of parker and possibly colebeck and fleming and maybe lose out on 1 or 2 others which is only 5 men leaving the squad, which is manageable

Harsh on Whitaker I feel lads...

While the guy has serious weaknesses as a footballer he does have qualities. He picks a pass, seems to have good vision and is the best striker of a ball at the club - to me that is a guy that offers us something. Stephens will be a starter next year for sure, but who do we put alongside? Furman, Worthington and :censored: (maybe not next year but still) all play similar games and Whitaker is the only guy we have that offers something a bit different - I would go so far as to say the best footballing performances that Latics have produced post-Kilkenny have been based around Whitaker having a good game.

Not a regular starter, but if we are slugging it at home to bottom of the league and desperately need a goal then who would you rather bring on to try and open something up; Whitaker or Worthington? Still think he can do a job for us as a late arrival on the pitch, when the midfield is a bit more fragmented and there is a bit of space for him to use, both to pass and to get to the edge of the box and hit one.

But we already have six players who can cover the CM position, we don't need him, and its £££ that can be better spent elsewhere

But we already have six players who can cover the CM position, we don't need him, and its £££ that can be better spent elsewhere

Difficult one but come the summer; his wage really could be put to better use getting in the goal scorer we desperately need or the quality CB we need in our side.....

That said; If he were to take a % wage cut to stay with us in L1 rather than drop to L2; I'd probably still have him here - as Lomax & Parker et all will be off the wage bill anyways. But it would need to be a wage that reflects the role i would be wanting Whitts to be playing - from the bench with 15mins to go; not a starter............

Difficult one but come the summer; his wage really could be put to better use getting in the goal scorer we desperately need or the quality CB we need in our side.....

That said; If he were to take a % wage cut to stay with us in L1 rather than drop to L2; I'd probably still have him here - as Lomax & Parker et all will be off the wage bill anyways. But it would need to be a wage that reflects the role i would be wanting Whitts to be playing - from the bench with 15mins to go; not a starter............

Still think its a waste of a wage given the cover we have there at the moment,