As I understand it premier league clubs pay for their young players to have an echo but this is certainly not universal throughout the professional game.

Also although the incidence of HOCM may be 1:500 this is misleading as to how many professional footballers may have this condition since the majority of sufferers will have a severely limited exercise tolerance, precluding employment as a professional footballer. (Well perhaps not at Latics)

And rudemedic I should not be so overconfident in your diagnostic skills as to think you would pick up all or most Marfan's syndrome. You may find surprising the number of people who have their Marfan's diagnosed by incidental finding of aortic root dilatation on echo.

As to viral myocarditis, as it is by definition transient any echocardiographic signs are unlikely to be picked up on an interval echo as it is likely to take place while not suffering form the illness. You are likely to be too unwell to be playing football (although sudden cardiac death has been reported). Also I am not aware that it is much more likely to cause death to a professional footballer than any other member of the population. Especially given the chances are you would be too unwell to be playing football at the time.

Also to be added to our list of differentials is the unfortunate Brugada syndrome. Which would not be picked up on echo and may or may not be by ECG.

Yeah, what he said ^ RIP young 'un.