FAO Barry Owen

That old chesnut, eh? Frankly, it's bordering on an insult to Royle's legacy that a untried manager, fresh to the post, should be compared to him in a manner suggesting it's justification for his appointment.

Why??? Because Royle was..... errr an untried manager???? Wake up and smell the bacon and stop being negative!

I am delighted with the appointment. It was very clear from the outset that the new manager was very keen on fan issues and was very genuine in his beliefs.

He is very keen and eager to do well. The last time a guy came through our doors so young and inexperienced and did'nt do such a bad job was Big Joe.

Regards

Barry

Even from the limited press exposure Dickov has had, he has won even a miserable cynical bloke like me around from what he has stated he is looking for from his players. I want to see a team which looks like it cares, whose heads dont go down when we go a goal down, who dont effortlessy let a ball run out of play when they could keep it in, and one which celebrate a f----- goal or an away win like we've just won the FA Cup final. Dowie had no experience, and rather than Big Joe comparisons, I know that Dowie had lots of money, but most of his spirited players he bought for free and he had a team which looked like it cared. Every time his team went on the pitch, I thought that it was a travesty every time we lost and every victory felt like a virtuoso performance.

Give me a team full of Warneys, Johnny/David Eyre(s), Cookseys, Gregans and dare I say it Dickovs anytime. I/we don't ask for much and as a set of supporters we are generally easy to please. We just want a team that plays like it cares, unlike what we had to watch last season, and unfortunately, during the last few months of Shezza's reign.

Even from the limited press exposure Dickov has had, he has won even a miserable cynical bloke like me around from what he has stated he is looking for from his players. I want to see a team which looks like it cares, whose heads dont go down when we go a goal down, who dont effortlessy let a ball run out of play when they could keep it in, and one which celebrate a f----- goal or an away win like we've just won the FA Cup final. Dowie had no experience, and rather than Big Joe comparisons, I know that Dowie had lots of money, but most of his spirited players he bought for free and he had a team which looked like it cared. Every time his team went on the pitch, I thought that it was a travesty every time we lost and every victory felt like a virtuoso performance.

Give me a team full of Warneys, Johnny/David Eyre(s), Cookseys, Gregans and dare I say it Dickovs anytime. I/we don't ask for much and as a set of supporters we are generally easy to please. We just want a team that plays like it cares, unlike what we had to watch last season, and unfortunately, during the last few months of Shezza's reign.

Superb post Slurms got to admit feel the same, pride in wearing the shirt and battling for the cause!

Come on Oldham! Paul Dickov's Blue and White Army!

What are we all getting misty-eyed about at this stage? The only comparison to Paul Dickov as a manager can be drawn from his performance as a player, because for every Joe Royle there are ten ex-players who fail in management.

Let's leave it at this; we all thought Dickov was an arse as a player, and most would have preferred a more "exciting" appointment like Jim Gannon - someone who had a level of exposure as a manager that we could disect endlessly. So, not the appointment most wanted but every good manager started somewhere and there is reason to be hopeful that the spikiness that characterised PD as a player could translate into a useful manager. He certainly talks the talk so far, and in any event he's here now so let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

The shape of the team once he has a few signings under his belt will give us a better idea of his performance, but I worry that his decision to renew his registration could indicate that we might not have the capacity to strengthen as we'd like.

What are we all getting misty-eyed about at this stage? The only comparison to Paul Dickov as a manager can be drawn from his performance as a player, because for every Joe Royle there are ten ex-players who fail in management.

Let's leave it at this; we all thought Dickov was an arse as a player, and most would have preferred a more "exciting" appointment like Jim Gannon - someone who had a level of exposure as a manager that we could disect endlessly. So, not the appointment most wanted but every good manager started somewhere and there is reason to be hopeful that the spikiness that characterised PD as a player could translate into a useful manager. He certainly talks the talk so far, and in any event he's here now so let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

The shape of the team once he has a few signings under his belt will give us a better idea of his performance, but I worry that his decision to renew his registration could indicate that we might not have the capacity to strengthen as we'd like.

Saves me the need to post. More or less in word for word agreement with that.

I am very uncomfortable with the player-manager element of things.

, but I worry that his decision to renew his registration could indicate that we might not have the capacity to strengthen as we'd like.

I think that registering himself is a good thing, last few seasons we struggled for strikers, and having Dickov on instead would be better than having to a pull a youngster from the youth team up who is not ready for first team football yet

I am very uncomfortable with the player-manager element of things.

Why?

Exactly.

My concern is that we need a striker for the first team, to give us a good front two with the kids as back-up. If Dickov's registration is cover against a potential pile-up of injuries then fine, but my spidey sense is tingling and what I dread is that there is no budget for a proper striker and instead we will approach the season with Abbott plus one out of Eaves, Brooke, Smalley, Alessandra, A.N. Other-Loanee with Dickov as a fail-safe. By all accounts management is hard and I want to see our new boss able to give it his full attention.

I personally don't think our squad is bereft of quality, but we need cover at centre-half and a first team striker to give us a hope of pushing beyond where we finished last year. The danger being with an inexperienced manager and a young team that a bad start could mean the end of hope for the whole season.

Can't say I'm phased by the player/manager thing. Dickov will certainly be a useful option to have in the squad - who are we going to get that will be better at being a pain in the arse when we need to scrap it out? I suppose he has to take account of how playing affects how the players are with him but he has to do that anyway.