Solomon Burke R.I.P.

Solomon Burke has died aged 70.

Dubbed by legendary Atlantic Records producer Jerry Wexler as “the best soul singer of all time,” and enrolled in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2001, he had 17 million record sales, including the soul standard "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love" that was covered by everyone from The Rolling Stones to Wilson Pickett and The Blues Brothers. In 2002 he won a Grammy for Best Contemporary Blues Album (Don’t Give Up On Me) but he regarded his greatest achievement to be his family of 21 children (14 daughters and 7 sons), 90 grandchildren and 19 great grandchildren.

He released 32 singles on Atlantic, many of which cracked both the R&B and pop charts, including six Top Ten R&B hits, four of which crossed over to the Top 40 - “Just Out Of Reach (Of My Two Empty Arms“, “Cry To Me” (covered by the rolling Stones on the Out of Our Heads album), “Got To Get You Off Of My Mind,” “You’re Good For Me,” (written by Don Covay), “Tonight’s The Night” and “If You Need Me” (written by Wilson Pickett). He was credited with helping keep Atlantic Records solvent from 1961 to 1964 with his steady stream of hits.

He eventually left Atlantic and his great 60s' soul heyday behind, but continued recording vigorously throughout the 70s, 80s and 90s, amassing a total of 22 soul and gospel albums during these years while finding time to raise his large brood.

In the past year his performances across the US and Europe had amassed over 130,000 frequent flier miles, and it was on a plane that he died early today after arriving at Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam, ready for a concert on Tuesday.

He said that no matter how much he enjoyed playing on tour, the best part of travelling was always coming home - “You come home and your grandchild says, ‘Can you make me a hamburger?’ and suddenly everything seems so real.”

On his own website, which has not yet been updated to give news of his death, he has this message:

Dear Friends,

This is a difficult time in the world, and I would like to ask each of you to find ways to be a part of positive solutions. There is something that each of us can do, and it's just a matter of searching your own soul to find the way that you can give to others. Some of us can give of our time and talent, and some of us can donate money or items. The trick is to give without looking to receive - to give of yourself to your family, your friends, your community, and the world community with love.

I thank you... please continue to pray with me for peace.

Love, Solomon

He won’t be making any more hamburgers for his grandchildren, but he’ll be up there taking his place in that soulful celestial choir which includes James Brown, Ray Charles, Otis Redding and Jackie Wilson.

Thanks for the music and rest in peace Solomon.

http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymmn54MfQEs&...feature=related