2010/2011 End Of Season Review

Looking back on this season compared to last season, its been a very good season. We played some entertaining football (At times) scored few goals (at times) and overall just a better feel around the club. Some facts compared between this season and last..

* GF At BP - 23 Last Season, 28 this season

* GA At BP - 26 - 29

* GF Away - 16 - 24

* GA Away - 29 - 29

* Highest Attendance - 8,569 - 8,564

I feel if we didnt lose Mvoto would of been alot higher up in the league. Plus what was also a major factor for us not getting up there is our ability to throw away a lead. This season we have been in a winning position ELEVEN times and failed to win. which is simply not good enough if we are to get into the top ten.

We have a very young squad with a very inexperienced manager to go with it. If dickov can learn to not throw games away, and learn how to change something round when it's not going right, we may be onto something at latics. Dickov can not stay with putting defenders up front when we are chasing a goal, granted they maybe better strikers than what we have (feeney) but still throw yourself on even if its for 10 minutes !

Same as last year and the year before and the year before, we fail in ALL competions to get past the first round (Scunthorpe CC, Shrewsbury JPT, Accrington FA Cup) which is not good enough. The club has not got a pot to piss in and we need the extra revenue that cup success brings. Every season who ever the manager is always states he is taking this seriously etc etc, yeah thats good but fancy telling the players too ? This season showing in the cup competions with the exception of scunny we looked very very poor. this has to change next season to get some extra money and may even bring back some of those fans who are still walking around spindles at 15:10 on a saturday.

Moving forward for next season. As i have said above Dickov needs to take in what has happened this season and learn from it. We wont win a thing or move up the table if we just play with kids, granted there very good but we need some experienced players in the squad to be a leader and tell them. To me hazell is not captain material. Perfect example is when tarky made his debut came on as a sub and starts bossing rubes about telling him where to go, is that not suppose to be the other way round ? Next season will be a very hard season with a few big clubs in our league. With a more northern look to the league next season it will ring that little bit more revenue to the club.

Get behind the lads next season give them your full backing, if you carnt make it to games why not donate £1 or something to playershre every week ? just help the club help PD to move forward, yes we may have a new pro evo badgebut who cares at the end of the day its still oldham athletic the club we all love.

OWTB !

I'll be honest, I went into this season expecting a relegation battle. Paul Dickov was an unknown quantity and given that Simon Blitz and Danny Gazal had pulled out the previous June it was not surprising that I was not alone in predicting a struggle. Despite my initial reluctance I renewed my season ticket, (before the manager was named). Dave Penney's tactics had been the final straw for many after the demolition of the Lookers, Doggygate and the announcing of Failsworth, but when I turned up at the open training session and forum I was impressed by Dickov's enthusiasm and energy. The training session was lively and there seemed to be a good spirit in the camp. Shortly after I attended the first friendly against Burnley I was pleasantly surprised with our tempo and work ethic, this continued in the other Friendly I saw v Wigan. I missed the last 10 days of pre-season as I was away. Whilst I was on my jollies we got rid of Pav, in hindsight given his record at Charlton it was probably a good move, but given our lack of penetration this season, you can't help feeling 'what if?'.

The first game I saw was Notts County at home and we looked a very good unit, if a little toothless (seems strange to say that when we won 3-0, but there you are), the work ethic was there still, as was the tempo. But even in this game we missed a couple of sitters (Tonk's first minute header). I was encouraged, but not convinced we had enough goals in us. With this in mind at the next game I attended - the game with Yeovil, I stuck a bet on 0-0 and cleaned up! Bristol Rovers at home summed up the whole season for me, we dominated from the first minute, conceded a sloppy goal, got ourselves back level then simply could not break down 10 men and this has been a problem all season (Plymouth and Charlton). For the first month or two of the season the team was built on hard work and being compact. Chris Taylor getting fit and Smalley coming back into the fold worried me, this team was a hard-working unit and could be unsettled by two players who could be best described as 'hot and cold'. Smalley's predictable impact was minimal, whereas it might have taken Taylor a month or so but he was quickly beginning to look like the player we had last seen in the Autumn of 2008.

It seemed Dickov wanted a spark to drive the team forward, and whilst I wasn't convinced to start with he found it with the enigmatic Felipe Morais. We now looked a match for anyone. Dean Brill was confounding his critics with a string of commanding displays, before a game altering slip v Exeter. Kieran Lee had made the right-back berth his own, looking confident and assured, whilst Rueben Hazell and M'voto had developed a good understanding. The left-back was a little more unsettled with Paul Black, Cedric Evina and Aidan White alternating. The centre-mids, were shoe-ins in Stephens and Furman, with great energy and passing ability. Out-wide, injury had seen the hard-work and compactness of Alessandra and Jones give way to Morais, White or Evina and up-front Tonk with Taylor just off him provided perfect foils with Taylor in the form of his life.

It is fair to say that by the end of November the team had surpassed all expectations, despite very few surviving from Penney's squad the year before and there being a very young average age. The cold snap hurt the club, the team didn't play for 6 weeks and it showed in the second-half at Hartlepool. Rochdale stole bragging rights with Chris O'Grady returning to haunt his old club, yet it was an avoidable defeat with mistakes from Hazell and Brill proving terminal. M'voto damaged his ankle in the game and this allowed Neal Trotman to get a run of games, to begin with it looked like he had never been away. Within a couple of weeks it was clear his initial performances had been from memory, as he had evolved into a player that was a pale shadow of the all-action powerhouse we had banked £500k for. Another change, saw Manchester United's third choice keeper, the highly-rated Ben Amos join on loan for the rest of the season. Paul Dickov was showing how ruthless he could be. I'm sure Hazell's place would have been at risk around this time if Trotman had looked half-decent and Jean-Yves not been injured.

So the six week enforced break had ended with two defeats, the rot was stopped with an easy win over Swindon, before big-spending Southampton rolled into town. At the time I thought we had been simply blown away and applauded the brilliance of our opponents. On further reflection I was miffed we hadn't been right in their faces from the start, earlier in the season we would have been, but I was beginning to think that Dickov had sacrificed the team's tempo and work-ethic for flair players, that went missing when the going got tough. Still, Tounkara had a great chance at 0-2 to bring us right back into it (undeservedly) he contrived to miss twice and we were hammered, after throwing the towel in after an hour. Encouragingly Dickov seemed to share my opinion about the flair players and they were sacrificed in favour of a tighter unit at Plymouth, winning 2-0. The team continued to pick points up and by the beginning of February looked very handily placed, the season's high-point came with a thumping 4-0 win over Hartlepool, yet the storm clouds were gathering over Boundary Park.

The January transfer window saw a procession of players paid off and a few brought into the club, with the aim of consolidating our play-off place. A few even muttered the possibility of automatic, yet in typical Latics style and in spectacular fashion the wheels came off. The new ground was turned down, and sensationalist headlines and reactionary statements were released. All of Dickov's good work had seemingly been destroyed by ill-chosen, emotionally charged statements coming from the club. Soon it would transpire the players had't been paid and the club was looking to leave the town which gave the club its' name. The doom and gloom transferred itself onto the field and the team went 2 months without a win and barely a goal. The poor run that saw us drop like a stone and even looking over our shoulders, until a welcome win at Notts County at the beginning of April is the one period of the season where I feel Dickov can be justifiably criticised for his lack of tactical nous and insistence on playing a striker that hasn't scored for 21 games or 14 weeks

Losing Dale Stephens was a big blow, but Dickov quickly moved to sign Jason Lowe a player that looks to have terrific potential and despite coming into a team that was on its' arse has done well, chipping in with two important goals and showing balls of steel to bag the penalty at Notts County when more senior players bottled it. So as we head into the final game of the season, we've recovered form the awful run and lost only 1 in the last 7. The turning point for me was the inconsistent Amos returning to Old Trafford and the restoration of M'Voto into the team, we looked far more assured and imposing at the back. Dickov has to take great credit for assimilating youth-teamers like Tarky and Winchester into the first team set-up and they certainly do not look out of place. We currently sit in 16th and that's around where we will finish. So whilst we've amassed more points than last season and scored more goals and conceded less, it has been a similar season in terms of League Placings. However, for me that is where the similarities have ended, the team have often played with an energy, passion and have a work mentality. There's been far more thrills and spills this year and some cracking goals, we're a work in progress (including the manager) and if the board gives Dickov half a chance in the summer, I expect us to improve further next season. It will be hard in the summer with very little money and so many players out of contract, so if that means cashing in on our 'stars' to move us forward ON the field, then so be it. Past managers have proved a dab hand at making a silk purse from a sow's ear, Dicky will have to prove he can do the same….

End of season ratings:

Dickov: I still think he was premature in releasing Gregan, he was exactly the sort of player we needed in those dark days of February and March. The team's lacked a leader all season and I hope he rectifies this. He talks a good game, but I would like him to show more faith in some of the players he signed. Feeney has been a disaster yes, but he hasn't played more than 3 consecutive games all season and this is simply not only down to injuries and international call-ups. He's given youth a chance and perhaps in reflection he went too attacking after the compact unit had served us so well in the first quarter of the season. I'll be looking to see more of a Plan B. He's been afforded plenty of slack (justifiably) and shown great understanding by getting the fans onside from the offset. He's turned the philosophy around on the pitch and given the team a fresh, youthful look. However, 2 wins in 18 is poor even when you take into account injuries and suspensions, losing players and lack of form. Even worse are the fact we've scored only 9 goals in those games. A striker is a must (a real bruiser similar to Fortune-West), but i'd also like to see a midfield enforcer ( a lower league Shaun Derry) and I'd definitely like to see us snare M'Voto.

Rating: An encouraging start that dropped alrmingly, before recovering and he never lost faith in his ability to turn it round. A good start is imperative next year. 7.5/10

Brill: Has confounded most of his critics this year. 10 clean sheets in 30 is a very good record. He's still prone to the odd mistake and has cost us occasionally, but since his return the ship has steadied and it was pretty ruthless to drop him for the inexperienced Amos. Would I offer him a new deal? Yes Rating 7.5/10

Lee: One of the stand-out performers, he still has his moments defensively and has had a quieter second half to the season. Assured on the ball, a willing worker and always running. It will be a struggle to keep hold of him in the summer. Rating 9/10

Winchester; Arguably man of the match on his debut at Accrington, young Carl has shown good ability, good on the ball, a decent tackler and willing to get forward when he can. Having the ability to play centre-half and midfield will stand him in good stead. One or two mistakes will ensure he keeps his feet grounded. Rating 7/10

Black: Has come on leaps and bounds, has added an attacking dimension to his game but needs to find more consistency in his game. One week he's superb, the week after gets ripped a new one. can be prone to switching off but I know the vultures are circling. Would I offer him a new deal? Definitely Rating 7/10

Evina: A bit of an enigma, great going forward but reluctant to really put in the donkey work when times are hard. He has the defensive tools in his make up. A cracking footballer, who needs to evolve to ensure he will make it at a lower level. Work, work, work! Rating 7/10

White: Superb at the beginning of both his loan spells, but seriously went into his shell. Returned to the party a bit with a decent enforced display at Left-Back in the Walsall game, needs to decide whether he's a winger or left-back. I'd wager the latter. Rating 6.5/10

Takowski: The find of the season, good in the air, very good feet and willing to bring the ball out of defence. His stamina levels need working on and he needs to learn to concentrate at all times as he has found out the hard way that momentary lapses can be fatal against the better teams in the division. 8/10

M'Voto: Looked sluggish and way off the pace for the first few weeks, then at Brentford away, something clicked - he had pace as well as the power!!! Covers ground with ease and most strikers have lost the battle during the fair play handshake ("fook me, look at the size of him!!!!") A dominant force in either box. Rating 9/10

Hazell: Too relaxed and it costs him, at 32 he shouldn't be making the same sort of mistakes Tarky does at 20. Thereon lies Rueben's problem, he's a decent player but is his own worst enemy by making the same silly mistakes year after year - usually a lax backpass resulting in a goal. At times his partnership with M'Voto has looked up there as the best in the league but I feel the decision to make him captain was a poor one giving his ability to hide when things are not going right. He's been a decent servant and played an influential role in our best day in years at Goodison. Nothing personal against the lad but I think it is time to move on. Rating 7/10

Jarrett: A surprising move saw him converted to centre-back in pre-season and it looked good, we were playing football out of defence and all was well. Yet before the end of pre-season the writing was on the wall with the arrival of M'Voto. After the first six weeks of the season he had dropped to the bench and a particular poor game in midfield at Accrington sealed his fate Rating 6/10

Trotman: I was chuffed when we signed him back on loan. After and encouraging start, faded badly and became a pale shadow of the powerhouse we had sold to Preston 3 years earlier. 5/10

Todd: After an encouraging debut at home to Carlisle, looked every inch the end of career journeyman 4/10

Morais: It took him a while to win me over, and i'm still not 100% convinced. Particularly when we have started scoring goals again, just as he's out of the team. Is he too greedy? We could debate all night. However, on his day he is a match-winner. I'd like to see a bit more discipline from him and dispel the free-role bollocks, when Taylor plays that role he tracks back, Felipe doesn't and can be a bit of a liability away from home. However, he has often been the highlight of the season. he is one hell of a footballer and his skills are a joy to watch at times. 7/10

Taylor: I was beginning to think that given his horrendous year last year Chris was going backwards. I was wrong, he has been our Talisman this year and is deservedly our top-scorer and assists provider. He's thrived on being a big fish in a small pond. Whether he remains that will be revealed in the summer. Rating 9/10

Furman: Has shown the potential seen in the early days of Penney's tenure, initially allowed to roam further forward and showed an eye for goal. Recently has been forced into the deep-lying role and not been as effective but still highly competent. Rating 9/10

Stephens: Helped turn the season around last year, and kicked on this year. Looked every inch the lower league Gerrard, has his critics but they are not Championship bound Southampton. 8/10

Sam Mantom: A very good debut at Bristol Rovers apart, he was average at best and probably not ready for the rigours of League One Football 5/10

Jones: Jack of all trades? Master of none? Therein lies Ritchie's problem, looked ok on the right, looked decent in centre-mid but nothing special, there's been disagreements with colleagues and superiors too, in what must have been a frustrating year for him. 6/10

Jason Lowe: Has had a big hand in our recent revival, despite still being in his teens he has the tall, athletic physique of a midfielder that will make it. A good passer and willing to get on the end of things 7/10

Tonk: Was a revelation to begin with. Strong, quick and a willing worker. Bit like so many youngsters has plateaued and has struggled in recent months. 7/10

Feeney: A crashing disappointment, never gained any momentum, but the manager must share the responsibility for this 3/10

Lewi: Started the season oh so well and looked to have turned a corner, but he has always been injury prone and another injury cost him a place he was never to regain. Has all the ability to make a real go of it, but will probably (sadly ) be released. 6/10

Dean Kelly: A workhorse, who thought scoring goals would be easy. Scored a cracker v 9 man Playmouth, but usually flattered to deceive and despite his work-rate, lacked a little bit of quality where it mattered. 6/10

Rueben Reid: Arrived looking like a second-row forward, got his arse in gear and looks (marginally) better. The lad's a goalscorer when he can be arsed and therein lies the problem. Could be very good with a Dickov/Taggart/Butler pre-season behind him 5/10

I know there's many more bit-part players like Dikaba, Christophe, Brooke, Millar, etc.. but they've made little impact if we're honest 4/10

The board: Failed to capitalise on a feel good factor surrounding Dickov's energetic young team and then simply destroyed it with their sensationalist tantrums in February which will cost season tickets through yet more reactionary guff! The club scored an own goal with the new crest by not consulting the fans, personally I'm not that bothered, but yet again a large number of an ever-decreasing fanbase has been left feeling left-out and ignored. The club needs to to realise that to evolve - it does not simply mean a new crest and kit, the club needs a whole new focus of how to move the club forward. Too many are too set in their ways and holding the club back with their poor decision making and dismissive attitude to new initiatives. Rating 5/10

The fans: Those that go to games are mostly a credit to the club. I'm not going to criticise those that don't as their reasons are many and important to them personally. Dickov has enjoyed a long honeymoon and benefitted from the fans' patience, but before Jason Lowe's late goal v Walsall I heard a few rumblings and tbh I don't blame them after a run of 2 wins in 18. I've been to 7 away games this year and by far the two stand out days were at Dagenham and Brentford, where the fans were behind the lads for the full 90. Rating 7/10

The Trust: They've been very quiet recently, but through the Forums, Open Training Day and relaunched Player Share, you have to say they've enjoyed some good moments this year. What is worrying is the silence since the :censored: hit the fan in February. I still think the Trust is too close to the club, but returning OWTB to Independent status is a start. 6/10

I've gone on a bit I know (what's new!?), but I think theres a lot we can take from this season. Despite the poor run, we have stopped the rot that set in from about November 2008, soulless, passionless football has been replaced by a manager who cares, a young, vibrant energetic ethos runs through the entire footballing side of the club. Now it is up to the owners and directors to instil a similar vibe into Oldham Athletic the business, we simply cannot continue to limp along along with the same antiquated attitudes that have held this club back for so long. We're facing a summer of uncertainty, but we can influence how difficult the summer is, by buying season tickets, sponsorship packages and club merchandise. (I don't think I'll be able to buy a season ticket this year, but I'll be buying the new shirt and Boundary Blues Season Tickets for the kids) yes the outlook is gloomy and we're up :censored:-creek without a paddle, but every cloud has a silver lining and on the field at least I think there are signs that Oldham Athletic are very much alive and kicking.

Edited by oafcprozac