Referee versus Bury

Does anyone else think Schumacher was lucky to stay on the field- he folded Furman not long after the 2nd goal and gets booked and there were quite a few occasions after that where a yellow card wouldn't have been unjust. I also think he should have booked their goalie for time wasting especially after a substitution as the ball wasn't ready to be kicked during the substitution which was pointed out to him by several Latics players, Diamond and Clarke especially, but he let him carry on wasting time once the substitution had been made.

I'd like to see the Taylor "dive" at the end as it looked as much of a dive as the penalty to me (but I was a long way off) and Taylor had been fouled just prior to that anyway. Its not the ref's fault that he gives the penalty and sends Cisak off as according to the rules both decisions are correct, but Cisak doesn't foul Bishop he goes over his leg and I'm not convinced it was that much of a goal scoring chance, the penalty was a better one, as although Bishop lands on the ball when he goes over I don't think he would have gotten much on it before it would have required a good finish to score. It's one of my pet peeves about football that an opportunity which results in a better goal scoring chance (i.e. a penalty) get punished the same as one which is a worse opportunity, i.e. a free kick. the rules need changing IMHO.

On the Penalty:

Looked soft at the game; from the halfway line. Looked even softer on the FL Show. I expected a penalty to be given though; as I remembered Mr Tierney refereeing games before; I just knew he was going to his pocket. In those situations; I think a penalty & a yellow should be the punishment - but I knew he was going to send Cisak off it; I just knew.

As for Mr Tierney the ref - well, as I say above, I've seen him before and he was exactly the same. He's a 'look at me, I'm a part of this game' ref, and as such - he loves to 'be in the action'. I thought Schumacher should have been sent off for 2 bookable in a short space of time; but instead he stayed on. I thought Sweeney should have had a straight red for the elbow on Furman; instead he plays on - only to then stop play for the head injury; madness. Summed him up when he made Robbie Simpson re-position the ball 3 times after a free-kick for us, as it wasn't from the exact blade of grass he wanted. So poor, so frustrating and is the type of referee who creates problems where there needn't be.

In terms of the game, obviously we were always going to be up against it being a man down for 80 mins, but I thought the lads all put in a spirited performance and battled as hard as they could. Being a man light, we still created enough chances to get something out of the game I felt - but sat in the paddock, It just seemed like 'one of those games' where you knew we were going to get nothing - point in case with the one off the line and the one off the bar.

Edited by slystallone