It's just like 20 years ago

I've seen it all at BP over the last 40 odd years and particularly during the pinch me seasons. Today though has come as something of a shock as I really have thought that the town had lost its appetite for something special.

This post isn't a complaint or moan, just a dose of reality.

Since relegation in 94, we have been in the play offs with Dowie and Shez and each time the club has been let down by towns public. Both play off home legs against QPR and Blackpool failed to sell out the home sections and the away leg at Bloofield Road managed to get to open sale, despite us having 3,500 season ticket holders at that time.

Various other "big" home games have seen disappointing attendances, and even the "big" cup game at Everton under Shez failed to sell 6,000 tickets.

So we draw Liverpool away and get a 6,100 ticket allcation when home crowds have dropped to little over 3,500.

1800 season ticket holders can have 2 a piece so that leaves around 2,500 for others. Will we sell out? a question I have asked a number of people since the draw. Most say that anyone who wants one will get one, such is the apathy, whilst a few others think we may "go close." My view was we might get down to the last few tickets in the day or so before the game.

When I got to the ground this morning, I was taken aback, but still didn't think we would be selling out today.

Fair play to all those who got up and queued in the cold and rain especially during the torrential downpours.

To those who say the club should do something different, all I can say is that things will improve when the new stand is built and better facilities are introduced. Everyone knows that there is no money about and anything that is available needs to be spent on essential costs. These cup games only happen every 3 or 4 years (Everton being the last one) and doesn't IMO justify the additional costs for 1 offs.

It doesn't work putting the tickets on the turnstiles, it is a logistical nightmare and there are not enough staff with the experience to sell on the turnstiles, where it would have to be cash only. It was done during the pinch me seasons for FA Cup quarter final against Villa and was an absolute nightmare, that IIRC resulted in far more complaints than any other game at the time. Also, which tickets do you put on the turnstiles? There were tickets at £18, £19, £20, £21, £22, £23, £24 and £25 plus the various concessions and disabled tickets giving something like 18 different prices to deal with.

Sometimes you can't win, but you put in place what you believe to be the best plan based on the information available to you. If it's not working as you either expected or hoped, then you react and adapt to the circumstances as best as possible.

Still you probably wont have to queue for Wembley if we get there, so that will bring a different set of complaints.

To those who say the club should do something different, all I can say is that things will improve when the new stand is built and better facilities are introduced. Everyone knows that there is no money about and anything that is available needs to be spent on essential costs. These cup games only happen every 3 or 4 years (Everton being the last one) and doesn't IMO justify the additional costs for 1 offs.

Any word on when that is likely to be?

Edited by Lookers_Carl