MK: Amateur Scouting Report!

Went to the Cheltenham Vs MK game today to check out our opening game opponents. A few things stood out:

Strangely they passed the ball about better and looked more dangerous with 10 men! Give them the space to play and they'll exploit it.

There'll be a few changes from them next week, which is unfortunate as I'd feel confident if we came up against today's starting XI. Aside from Gleeson missing out (which will be a big loss for them) I'm sure that Lowe will start on today's evidence, if it wasn't for a few great saves he would've had at least a brace. I'd imagine that Kay and Powell will start as well. Alan Smith looks surprisingly average at this level, I can't wait to see Furman and Wes getting stuck in on him! Jay O'Shea was their best player, build of a central midfielder with the trickery of a winger and he laid their goal on a plate for Bowditch with a mazy run.

Don't be fooled by them only scraping past lower league opposition as Cheltenham wouldn't look out of place at our level.

They are undoubtedly a good side but not a great one at our level yet. They have all the parts necessary to challenge for automatic promotion, but they aren't going to speed out of the blocks as they still need some of the new players to bed in. A draw would be a good result for us next week but it's certainly well within our reach and we are playing them at the right time.

Final non-MK thought: While I'm happy with our draw and subsequently meaning that our 1st game of the season is on TV, I hope they don't move the League Cup 1st round date to before the start of the season permanently. It felt weird watching an opening game without the buzz in the crowd that comes with the opening day optimism. Hopefully Monday will be different with Wednesday fans adding to the spectacle.

Final non-MK thought: While I'm happy with our draw and subsequently meaning that our 1st game of the season is on TV, I hope they don't move the League Cup 1st round date to before the start of the season permanently. It felt weird watching an opening game without the buzz in the crowd that comes with the opening day optimism. Hopefully Monday will be different with Wednesday fans adding to the spectacle.

Only happened this year with the league starting later because of the Olympics, so hopefully once season starts around normal time next year, it'll be as usually is.