Robbie Rogers says coming out in football is 'impossible'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21974436

"I wouldn't want to deal with the circus. Are people coming to see you because you're gay?"

The American also admitted he was concerned by the reaction of opposition fans and the media.

"If you're playing well it will be reported as: 'The gay footballer is playing well.' And if you have a bad game it'll be: 'Aw, that gay dude, he's struggling because he's gay.'"

I have to ask. Who thinks like this? What is he basing his fears upon?

Aside from the obvious juvenile chanting from the crowd (which everyone gets and for a wide variety of reasons), what would he really expect to have to deal with that's so unbearable?

Apart from a massive story for the first few months, the media would leave the player in question alone. Let's be honest, the media would create a massive story out of it. Robbie Rogers was a nothing player in this country and he is getting air time over the story. If it was a succesful premier league player, the story would be huge.

The fans are where the issue would be. A certain demographic would go for him. Is it any worse than what, Terry, Ashley Cole etc have had to put up with? Maybe, maybe not.

Edited by pukka

I think the world has moved on in much of this.

But there would be short term interest and there would be a reaction from opposing fans.

And the beneficiary of that reaction would quickly learn to ignore it and get on with his game. And be as good a player as his ability and attitude allows.

10 years ago discrimination on the basis of sexuality wasn't illegal in this country, its moved on now though. I can understand what he is saying, but I doubt anything is all that certain. I saw a BBC documentary about homosexuals in football and IIRC it said that the early openly gay footballers are going to make money as companies will be queuing up to sponsor them. I think he has overreacted but unfortunately if he decided to return to playing he may want to consider which sides he plays for.