PLEASE JOE, DON’T GO!

PLEASE JOE, DON’T GO!

Why no other man can be in the running for the Latics job, should Royle want it

Following the departure last week of Latics manager, John Sheridan, on the back of a poor run of form and the unsavoury tales of Doggygate, the club’s owners rolled back the years in appointing Joe Royle as the new manager. No one needs to be told what Royle did for Latics during his original stewardship of the club, which spanned twelve years.

Many will feel that Sheridan was hard done by, in not having been given the chance to complete the season as Latics boss. But then, there are also a great many supporters who take the view that, under his management, the 2008/09 season was as good as over. Mathematically, of course, not so. In a last ditch attempt to rescue the season, however, the board moved to replace Sheridan with Big Joe.

There can be no doubting Joe’s pedigree. He achieved great things with Latics in taking them to the top flight as Division 2 (as it was then) champions along with exciting cup runs, with an attacking style of play that left fans wanting more. Since leaving the club, he has gone on to become an FA Cup winning manager and also achieved consecutive promotions with Manchester City. It’s not usual for a manager with such things on his CV to return to this level of football.

The big question, of course, is of whether Joe wants to stay on at Latics beyond the end of this campaign. Saturday’s result at home to a very decent looking Tranmere side sees the Blues six points adrift of the playoff places and so a great run is required in the season’s final eight games, from a side who have won only once in their previous eight outings, if Latics are to make up that gap.

It seems likely, then, that sooner rather than later thoughts will turn to next season and who better to take the club into that than someone of Joe Royle’s calibre? There is talk of Stockport’s Jim Gannon or Keith Hill, who is doing a great job down the road at Rochdale.

Neither of these men though would instil in the supporters the same level of confidence and excitement for a new campaign than arguably the club’s greatest ever manager. He is older now, wiser, with even more friends in football than before, and he could not look more at home in front of the cameras and microphones. He has a great eye for a player and set outs a style of football that paying customers want to see. What is more, he has a very special relationship with the club and its fans.

So, if he’s willing to go home and tell the wife, yet again, that he’s not retiring just yet, who better to take Oldham Athletic on than Joe Royle?

Please Joe, don’t go…

Must agree completely. He is a natural in front of the cameras. He has a very warm, charismatic personality and you just know everything he says is completely genuine. If he can't get the best out of our players, no one can. He is a top bloke and deserves all the success he has had to date.

I never agreed on sacking John Sheridan until the MK debacle but when you listen to him compared to big Joe, he comes across as clueless and arrogant at times. I hope he has learnt from the experience and becomes a great manager in the future. But we want to keep Joe a while longer.

Joe said he would not have been interested in the job if it had not involved the possibility of a trip to Wembley. He may no longer be interested in the job after tonight's game, and I would doubt that he would be willing to take on the task of getting us out of this division next season.

Joe is a brilliant PR man and the media love him but, even with all his qualities, he is not a miracle worker - he can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I would hate to see the fans turn on him if we struggle again next season, with his brilliant one-liners being thrown back in his face.

I think Joe would only want a full-time football management job if it was in the comparative glamour of the Championship, working with better quality players.

I totally agree with TOI very good points and very well put.

However, the question has to be asked with him being so long out of a job, is his heart still in management or is he just looking to pick up another paycheck before he finally throws in the towel? Im not questioning his passion for Latics, just the passion for managing a football team. Just something i had been thinking and im sure we will see answered as the season runs its course. Here is to hoping that he is with us next season!

:comeon:

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't agree more with senor coconut, being a bit long in the tooth and remember with bitterness and sadness the day Joe left and the feeling of total loss at our position in the league, I could understand why he left but my heart felt heavy and probably will never forgive him.

Hopefully if Joe can turn things around I'll change my stance.

Good luck Joe. :unsure: