The Future of Super League

The Super League has announced that it will go ahead with plans to increase the league to 14 teams from next season. Plus it now has the 3-year license system in place as well. In order to compete at the very top of the European Rugby League, teams now have to apply for a license to play. At the moment, all 12 current Super League clubs have applied plus National League sides Widnes Vikings, Salford City Reds, Leigh Centurions, Featherstone Rovers, Celtic Crusaders and Halifax RLFC. French side Toulouse Olympique have also submitted a bid. Should be interesting, I wonder who wont get one? Have Saints left the new stadium issue a bit late? Cas, Wakefield and Hull KR might struggle as well. Celtics look good for it, as do Olympique - ESL love the french. Salford and Widnes are in with a shout. But Salford have not got their new ground yet, and both Salford and Widnes would be fitting in too close to their neighbours Saints, Warrington, and Wigan.

Decision to be made in July sometime.

I think Olympique and the Celtics with be granted licenses, RFL have been banging on about bringing other countries into the league - these two will fill their mandate. I'm not too sure about all of the current SL teams being bankers though Shiny; Wakefield and Cas have got to be looking over their shoulder at the likes of Widnes, Leigh, and Salford. Hull KR aren't a given either...