Latics or Live Sport on TV

First of all, I am a season ticket holder and have been going to BP for nearly 40 years so nothing will stop me going.

But, I wonder how many floating fans are put off going to Latics because the latest scores/results of the live tv football/rugby/cricket match are announced.

I will V+ say the Champions League games when Latics play on a Tuesday night, but I hear at least the half time score and sometimes full time score if I am unlucky and that ruins it for me.

It is hard enough to get people out of their armchair on a freezing Tuesday night, but they may just be tempted if they knew they coud watch the TV match "as live" when they get home.

The same thing applies when international rugby matches or The Grand National are held on a Saturday.

I asked the club not to announce these scores/results, but they said people like to know. How do they know? And how do they know how many potential fans are put off?

If people do want to know they can take a radio or a mobile phone with internet or wait until they get home to find out.

First of all, I am a season ticket holder and have been going to BP for nearly 40 years so nothing will stop me going.

But, I wonder how many floating fans are put off going to Latics because the latest scores/results of the live tv football/rugby/cricket match are announced.

I will V+ say the Champions League games when Latics play on a Tuesday night, but I hear at least the half time score and sometimes full time score if I am unlucky and that ruins it for me.

It is hard enough to get people out of their armchair on a freezing Tuesday night, but they may just be tempted if they knew they coud watch the TV match "as live" when they get home.

The same thing applies when international rugby matches or The Grand National are held on a Saturday.

I asked the club not to announce these scores/results, but they said people like to know. How do they know? And how do they know how many potential fans are put off?

If people do want to know they can take a radio or a mobile phone with internet or wait until they get home to find out.

I think the two live saturday games are doing untold damage to the lower leagues.

never heard anything so ridiculous in my life.

never heard anything so ridiculous in my life.

Have to say i agree - it would annoy me more than anything if they didnt have half time scores etc... to say that announcing other sporting results is stopping people going to matches is to be quite honest, a bit silly....

Its great to know that your rivals are losing/winning.... and I'd say 99.999999% of people want them to be announced...

/quote]

I understand what you're saying and I'm not being facetious. However, if you sit at the front of the Chaddy behind the goal you can't understand a word from the P.A. Mind you, you would need to wait until the end of half-time before going to the gents.

could the club try to change some of their home fixtures (the ones where the away team are expected to bring a limited following) to a friday night so it is not clashing with the tv football?

why on earth would anybody want to watch a live premier game instead of going to a latics game.......

are you aiming your question at latics fans or just a generalisation of fans would rather watch tv games as opposed to live matches????

the only time i would watch any live sport in favour of attending a latics match would have to be the national lesbian naked mud wrestling championships!!!!

could the club try to change some of their home fixtures (the ones where the away team are expected to bring a limited following) to a friday night so it is not clashing with the tv football?

friday night fixtures are worth a try IMHO.

the reality is that there are a hell of a lot of people who would go to a few games but would rather sit in the pub on a saturday afternoon, especially with these Arab channels.

why on earth would anybody want to watch a live premier game instead of going to a latics game.......

are you aiming your question at latics fans or just a generalisation of fans would rather watch tv games as opposed to live matches????

the only time i would watch any live sport in favour of attending a latics match would have to be the national lesbian naked mud wrestling championships!!!!

aiming my question at the floating fan, any die hard latics fan such as myself and yourself would obviously watch latics over premier league matches. However, its the floating fans we need to attract/bring back if we are to increase our attendances beyond the 5000 mark.

Maybe the club could get Franny to say: "if you don't want to hear the scores cover your ears now" :)

But as has already been mentioned, the saturated coverage of the premiership on sky and the arab channels every saturday is doing much more harm to the level of support from the "floating" supporters. It is much more tempting for people to stay in a nice warm pub having a few beers than venturing out to BP on a freezing cold saturday afternoon.

You could just Sky Plus that though - that is one sporting event that wouldn't be ruined by knowing the result in advance! :)

Get very frustrated that:

1) You cannot hear the half time / full time scores properly over the PA

2) The announcer speaks strangely when giving out these scores

3) The "full time" scores are usually based on the score at 75 minutes and aren't full time scores at all.

These scores are an absolute MUST to ensure we compete with Soccer Saturday !!

Get very frustrated that:

1) You cannot hear the half time / full time scores properly over the PA

2) The announcer speaks strangely when giving out these scores

3) The "full time" scores are usually based on the score at 75 minutes and aren't full time scores at all.

These scores are an absolute MUST to ensure we compete with Soccer Saturday !!

this is when we miss the scoreboard......they used to just scroll the scores at half time and fulltime.....the p.a has always been bad at bp.......seemingly as bad as the p.r

Live football is forcing crowds to drop. Mainly younger kids who rely on there parents to take them to games. Many times in the past i have heard kids say they would rather watch The likes of United, Arsenal, Chelsea on tv.

Quite a few floaters would rather watch footie on TV they say £3 for an U12 is a good deal but £20 for an adult is not on.

people go to watch latics not to listen to other scores ,if someone wants to know the scores let them 99% go to see latics play and not worry if they hear the other scores or not

I understand what you're saying and I'm not being facetious. However, if you sit at the front of the Chaddy behind the goal you can't understand a word from the P.A. Mind you, you would need to wait until the end of half-time before going to the gents.

Thats true but to be honest am only really bothered about Latics anyway. The only scores that bother me are the ones that affect Latics.

Edited by spadam