So they were right to move us

Only 5,822 home supporters on a glorious sunny day to see the unbeaten, high-scoring, League leaders take on local rivals. Shameful! :disappointed:

Or an extra 1000 fans that we did not have only two games ago, an increase of 20%! Not to bad in my eyes, another couple of wins and we may even break 6K home fans......

How many times has that happened in the last 4 or 5 years...... bet you can count on one hand

Or an extra 1000 fans that we did not have only two games ago, an increase of 20%! Not to bad in my eyes...

Appreciate what you're saying Niki, but when that 20% increase is in fact less than 1% of the local population, my description of "shameful" is being kind to the stayaways.

... another couple of wins and we may even break 6K home fans......

How many times has that happened in the last 4 or 5 years...... bet you can count on one hand

Therein lies the problem over the years - even 6,000 home fans will not provide a break even attendance in most games.

Appreciate what you're saying Niki, but when that 20% increase is in fact less than 1% of the local population, my description of "shameful" is being kind to the stayaways.

Therein lies the problem over the years - even 6,000 home fans will not provide a break even attendance in most games.

Shameful based on population, you are correct I cant argue with that!

I just thought from your post you sounded suprised at it being so low! The only suprise i had was the fact I that we had nearly 6k there which for us in recent years is pretty good going

I just thought from your post you sounded suprised at it being so low! The only suprise i had was the fact I that we had nearly 6k there which for us in recent years is pretty good going

I wasn't surprised and I know I shouldn't keep going on about the stayaways, at the risk of offending those who are willing but unable to attend. The trouble is I can't get 'Celebration Sunday' out of my mind!

Now recalculate using the local white population in percentage terms. No, I don't want to get into a racial debate, however it's only the white population (in the main) that as any interest in attending football matches.

EDIT: none Asian population (in the main) as any interest in attending football matches.

Edited by Lags

Similar to what Lags said, our Population doesn’t come into it as a figure to base percentages on.

Our target audience are neutral football fans and those with some affiliation to Latics.

There’s no point in including people who hate football but happen to live in Oldham in your percentages of crowd increases or decreases!

You could even cut the figure further by taking out those that support and watch another team but live in Oldham.

You could increase your figure by including Tameside and Manchester residents.

Point is population alone is a cr@p stat to go all scientific on.

Similar to what Lags said, our Population doesn’t come into it as a figure to base percentages on.

Our target audience are neutral football fans and those with some affiliation to Latics.

There’s no point in including people who hate football but happen to live in Oldham in your percentages of crowd increases or decreases!

You could even cut the figure further by taking out those that support and watch another team but live in Oldham.

You could increase your figure by including Tameside and Manchester residents.

Point is population alone is a cr@p stat to go all scientific on.

You could also subtract from the 5,922 all those home fans at BP who are exiled from Olfham or non-Oldhamers.

At the end of the day, however you look at the attendance, it is one of which Oldham, as a reputed sporting town, should be ashamed.

Just as an aside. I know how a good number of posters like to guess crowd figures and stuff. So just for fun and knowledge. Given we now know how many Hudds fans attended in the big Roccy section, being 1730. So how many Tic's in the small section? and also how many does the small section hold in capacity with the seats meshed off? so thats two figures youre after. And yes I have the official figures to hand....so off ya go folks.

Edited by Lags

Taking away the Asian population of the town, who allegedly have no interest in football (I think it's probably more a case of their having no interest in Latics, for whatever reason-but in this they are not alone as Oldhamers), means subtracting around 13% of the population. That works out at 13% of around 220,000, which comes to roughly 25,000. From the 195,000 left, home crowds of less than 6,000 are still dire. As noted above, if it wasn't for the high number of exiles regularly attending BP, the club would have even more cause for complaint.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

At my first ever game, the first game of about season 82/83 vs Shrewsbury we got a total of about 3400 fans. I for one am not at all surprised we dont get 6,000 fans every week.

The only people who are surprised appear to be TTA (note to Boundary Blue: this is not to badmouth TTA).

There is a difference between now and when you first attended, however, in that we are, for the moment, still living through a football boom, while the early 1980s were pretty much a low point for English football, with crowds falling even at the highest level. The boom started a decade later. As luck would have it, we dropped out of the top flight at the very moment when top flight clubs were set to benefit from the boom as never before. The knock-on effect in the second- tier, through the parachute payments to relegated clubs, had the effect of boosting average crowds in that division to levels not seen for a long time also. The lower league clubs all but missed out on all this, although the handful of clubs lucky enough to be purchased by rich owners and/or have new stadiums built, thus creating a sense of progress and expectation, also experienced a rise in fortunes (even if not in every case...)

It was just our luck to be promoted to the top flight before all this started, and relegated at precisely the wrong time. The slide down the divisions caused a level of cynicism and disillusion in the town that we aren't even close to being able to overcome yet. Wider developments in football do not help, not least the possibility of seeing world class footballers perform for little more in the way of admission charges than at BP (or any lower-division ground), at two state-of-the-art venues just down the road.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Taking away the Asian population of the town, who allegedly have no interest in football (I think it's probably more a case of their having no interest in Latics, for whatever reason-but in this they are not alone as Oldhamers), means subtracting around 13% of the population. That works out at 13% of around 220,000, which comes to roughly 25,000. From the 195,000 left, home crowds of less than 6,000 are still dire. As noted above, if it wasn't for the high number of exiles regularly attending BP, the club would have even more cause for complaint.

The Asians support Liverpool for some odd reason. Basically anyone apart from British white do not turn up* so you can take them away.

* No offense to any blacks, Pakistanis, Poles etc... I know there's a few who turn up.

The Asians support Liverpool for some odd reason. Basically anyone apart from British white do not turn up* so you can take them away.

* No offense to any blacks, Pakistanis, Poles etc... I know there's a few who turn up.

Listen, the home support is creeping in the right direction. Ive told you before, 4 points from the next 2 games and 6000 home fans will be at the Walkers Wanderers game with a gate of around 9000. And that home gate will keep creeping until the bubble burst - Simple as, typical latics.

Listen, the home support is creeping in the right direction. Ive told you before, 4 points from the next 2 games and 6000 home fans will be at the Walkers Wanderers game with a gate of around 9000. And that home gate will keep creeping until the bubble burst - Simple as, typical latics.

the trouble is,if your theory doesnt pan out and attendances stay below the magic 6k,and then the bubble bursts your back down to 5k hardcore fans again.....

maybe its time to try a buy one get one half price offer on matchday tickets.....

from a personal level yes, buy one get one half price

from all other levels, nope.

well unless the club or owners are willing to try something new to bring the punters back,they cant continue to moan about attendance figures...

yes were in the top 2,hopefully back at the top come friday night,and the numbers are creeping up very very slowly...but they are creeping up.

at this rate,and if we stay in the top 2,it will take until christmas to achieve what mr corney wants....

however a little incentive might just sway the stay aways,until your prepared to give it a go you cant moan.