Our youth system

Guest sheridans_world

Guest sheridans_world

Just been reading on another thread about Smalley and Lewis. Its reminded me of the other day when I was thinking about this.

Of the current squad we have:

Allott, (returned!)

Taylor,

Eardley,

Smalley,

Alessandra,

Lomax

and Wolfy

So thats seven, without mentioning Paul Black, Josh Bell and Aaron Chalmers (all registered with the league to play).

That means we are just one player short of being able to field a full first team of our own youth players!!

Coupled with that, we also have Micah Richards and Danny Philliskirk.

Is our youth system good or not? Are there other clubs that could boast that? Especially with six regular first-teamers there.

Just been reading on another thread about Smalley and Lewis. Its reminded me of the other day when I was thinking about this.

Of the current squad we have:

Allott, (returned!)

Taylor,

Eardley,

Smalley,

Alessandra,

Lomax

and Wolfy

Is our youth system good or not? Are there other clubs that could boast that? Especially with six regular first-teamers there.

Ugh... you had to go and bloomin ruin it, didnt you :wink:

... but yep.. be had pushed to find a better crop of youngsters - the 'udders side a couple of years back, and poss the eternally mentioned crewe are good shouts...

Can also throw in Higginbotham, Trotters... and a load of other almost there guys.... (otherwise known as stalyvegas)

Trotman is not a product of our youth system. I also know a few players at latics at junior level released at about age 14 now playing for Premier League reserve teams.

And i would say there are some teams with a better system than ours e.g Arsenal although ours is clearly very good.

Trotman is not a product of our youth system. I also know a few players at latics at junior level released at about age 14 now playing for Premier League reserve teams.

And i would say there are some teams with a better system than ours e.g Arsenal although ours is clearly very good.

Well neither was bloomin Richards but he was mentioned!

Dont think we are ever comparing ourselves to an arsenal... however, it could be debatebale how many youngsters they actually create from their local radius, and how many they bring in from europe and the world at the age of 14...

Well neither was bloomin Richards but he was mentioned!

Dont think we are ever comparing ourselves to an arsenal... however, it could be debatebale how many youngsters they actually create from their local radius, and how many they bring in from europe and the world at the age of 14...

I can just see the headline.....

"ARSENAL SIGN 3 SCHOOLBOYS FROM BREEZE HILL" Rick, Jermaine and Asif, all 13 and from the leafy Holts "village" have been signed on schoolboy forms by Arsenal Supremo - Arsene Wenger

I can just see the headline.....

"ARSENAL SIGN 3 SCHOOLBOYS FROM BREEZE HILL" Rick, Jermaine and Asif, all 13 and from the leafy Holts "village" have been signed on schoolboy forms by Arsenal Supremo - Arsene Wenger

"new Arsenal sensation Asif was asked what he though of his new, more upmarket surroundings at the emirates... to which he responded "Dunno, its full of all them french, innit."

without mentioning Paul Black, Josh Bell and Aaron Chalmers (all registered with the league to play).

All apprentices are registered with the league but I'm sure Chalmers will appreciate the special mention. And Black and Bell are first year pros, you'd be a bit worried if they weren't registered wouldn't you!

Difference between Micah and Trotters. Micah was with us between ages 12 and 14 and Trotman joined us when he was like 20.

He was 17. He did the 2nd year of his apprenticeship with us having done the first year at Burnley.

It's a bit of a nonsense to compare us with Arsenal, as was said by someone else they bring players in from all over the world and are bound to attract a higher calibre of player to start with, not to mention the facilities.

I think when people are complimenting our youth setup what they are getting at is that we overachieve in terms of what you would expect a club of Oldham's stature and financial clout to produce. Arsenal are only doing what you would expect of them really.

Guest sheridans_world
We also sent that lad to Everton....scot sinclair? or am i gettin confused....

Scott Spencer - He's been doing well in the Everton ressies, I didnt mention him because he seemed a bit of a white elephant after going on loan to Yeovil and Macc and not doing anything. I should have, because we got cash for him.

Scott Spencer - He's been doing well in the Everton ressies, I didnt mention him because he seemed a bit of a white elephant after going on loan to Yeovil and Macc and not doing anything. I should have, because we got cash for him.

lol, knew i had the name wrong...

Not sure the comparisons with Arsenal are that stupid.

OK we are never going to have attrack the same quality of players that they can, but a fairly good measure for comparability between clubs is the number of 'home grown' players in the 1st team squad.

Ours might be Lewis, Wolfy and Eardley v Man Utd who could claim Scholes, Neville, Giggs. But if you look at the number it would still be a fair comparison.

I think we have had similar high numbers of home grown players over the last 10 years, I think the difference is now that a large chunk of the current crop are good enough that other teams in this and higher divisions would want them. When it was Rickers, Hotte, Tipton etc. I don't think it was the case.

Something much more satisfying watching a player like Taylor knowing he was a home-grown player.