The minute my back is turned.....

I go away for three days and look what happens:

the unbeaten League run at BP since March is surrendered meekly;

all the voucher-collectors, who were still talking about the Scunny performance, are disillusioned and probably threatening never to go to BP again;

Davies follows O'Grady out on loan and we fail to score;

there's talk of all sorts of well-known strikers coming in on loan; and

Corney gives an "explosive" interview!

The only unsurprising event is that Hughes got booked so that he misses the Cup game, as I predicted.

Anyway, I'll try to lift some of the gloom by telling you about my weekend.

Along with a lot of other Latics fans, Mrs. S. and I were out of the country attending the wedding of my cousin's son to a Spanish señorita. Yes, I know that the period between the Play-off final at the end of May and the start of the pre-season games in July is provided specifically for holidays and weddings, but what swung it for all of us to travel to Spain instead of BP was because the wedding was in the world's SHerry capital JerEZ.

We were imagining you all shouting "Olé!" repeatedly, as the lads gave Yeovil a footballing lesson, but how wrong we were! Mrs. S. received a constant stream of text messages so we were with the BP attendees in spirit (or should that be fortified wine?) but we managed to put all the doom and gloom to the back of our minds and enjoy ourselves.

I've been to Spain several times since my first visit, but I took with me ths time my hard-backed Collins Spanish phrase book, which I bought for 3s 6d (17.5p) in 1965. This was in the 'swinging 60s' before political correctness had been invented, but I was surprised to find that one of the useful phrases was "Es un maricón" (He is a pansy). At the risk of anyone saying that, I drank Cruzcampo all weekend.

OAFC was prominent at the reception in the form of table name cards featuring Latics legends. Our table was ’Denis Irwin’ - a picture of him and description in both languages of his playing record, with a comment to the effect that nothing worth noting happened to him after he left BP. :grin:

The table containing the wedding cake was named after, arguably, the biggest Latics legend…………Chaddy the Owl.

3001704533_ebfbeabd1a.jpg

Went to a friends wedding over in Oviedo (no I didn't see him) last year.

The wedding service was great, as the priest performed the service in Spanish and then English. The little nuances really showed. The Spanish applauding at the appropriate moment (to be honest we thought she might have said no at that point), then two or three minutes later we get in on the act as it is all repeated in English. All the Spanish leave, the Englanders stay behind to watch the signing of forms and such things. Certainly a bit different. Don't know who the hell this "Hay-Zeus" bloke is either.

"guti guti maricon" is a very popular barca song(he has history-google it!)...though their meaning of "maricon" is ...errr ... stronger!

I see - apparently it is used, how you say, by the "noisy heteros soccer fans who go gymnasium".

Also "guti" in Punjab means bitch.

I have to keep saying, you learn something every day on here!

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Went to a friends wedding over in Oviedo (no I didn't see him) last year.

The wedding service was great, as the priest performed the service in Spanish and then English. The little nuances really showed. The Spanish applauding at the appropriate moment (to be honest we thought she might have said no at that point), then two or three minutes later we get in on the act as it is all repeated in English. All the Spanish leave, the Englanders stay behind to watch the signing of forms and such things. Certainly a bit different. Don't know who the hell this "Hay-Zeus" bloke is either.

So near and yet so far from seeing him! I would have been gutted (not guti, Johnny!).

We had a Spanish priest and an English Priest - neither spoke a word of the other language.

The bride had the difficult task at the reception of translating the (Latics fan) best man's jokes and stories about the lads' drunken trips abroad.

It appears that the Spanish prefer to use the word for prejudice more than the almost forgotten one for tolerance!

On Spanish TV no footage was shown of Hamilton overtaking on the final bend of the last lap, and I was mystified as to how he miraculously went from 6th to 5th place! Most of the coverage was of Spain's Alonso and, of course Massa/Ferrari. It was weird to see Hamilton's name suddenly appear at the top of the driver's championship, amidst scenes of the Ferrari team celebrations, without footage to show how all was not lost on that final lap.