Ernest "Ernie" Wright

Guest oa exile

Guest oa_exile

Please could someone kindly check their record books on Ernest "Ernie" Wright.

I have been able to find out the following information to date :

Born 1912

Began his career with Sedgley Park and signed amateur forms with QPR in August 1934.

He made his League debut V's Brighton in January 1935, was transferred to Crewe Alexandra in June of the same year.

After two season he joined Chesterfield in May 1937.

He joined Oldham Athletic in June 1938.

He was a provider more than a goalscorer and enjoyed his best season whilst at BP making 40 appearances (League & Cup)

scoring 6 goals.

The above information is not actually correct as he actually signed for Oldham Athletic from Charlton Athletic on June 8th 1938 - so I assume he must have moved from Chesterfield to Charlton Athletic in between May 1937 - June 1938.

Checking the record books I have, his last appearance was October 5th 1940 at Home V's Bury (Lost 3:4 - Attendance 5427)

I can only assume he then hung up his boots up to join the war effort.

If anyone can add anything to this it would be appreciated.

Cheers Exile

According to "Soccer at War" by Jack Rollin, he played 9 times for Latics in the war period and scored one goal . No details about when and where though.

"Who's Who of Oldham Athletic" by Garth Dykes -

Born Middleton c1912.

Signed for Chesterfield from Crewe for £125.

Signed for Wigan Ath in August 1947.

Guest oa_exile
According to "Soccer at War" by Jack Rollin, he played 9 times for Latics in the war period and scored one goal . No details about when and where though.

Cheers Pete , I have been able to check his "Stats" from the Pine Villa & Oldham Athletic - 100 Year Journey by Stewart W Beckett.

As I posted originally I can work out that he played early in the war (see last game V's Bury 1940)

"Who's Who of Oldham Athletic" by Garth Dykes -

Born Middleton c1912.

Signed for Chesterfield from Crewe for £125.

Signed for Wigan Ath in August 1947.

"Signed for Wigan Ath in August 1947" - Now that is excellent information, I will "Try" to check info / stats on the Plastics :grin:

Thanks again, Cheers Exile

Guest oa_exile
Cheers Pete , I have been able to check his "Stats" from the Pine Villa & Oldham Athletic - 100 Year Journey by Stewart W Beckett.

As I posted originally I can work out that he played early in the war (see last game V's Bury 1940)

"Signed for Wigan Ath in August 1947" - Now that is excellent information, I will "Try" to check info / stats on the Plastics :grin:

Thanks again, Cheers Exile

Cant find anything on the Pie-heads sites which is surprising since they are a new club with no History :grin:

I have found one site that may be able to shed some light

http://www.yeoldetreeandcrown.co.uk/module...p?storytopic=10

....so have sent them an email....... Dear Pie Head :grin: , only kidding :wink:

Lets see if owt comes ov it :)

Edited by oa_exile