Well, well, well

That was worth the £12.

Unbelievable game really. They started much the brighter, playing some good football and passing it well without really creating too much, McLean looked lively as did Boyd. Ten mins in, McLean breaks down our right, the cross comes in, Stammy puts his leg out to block it and it deflects off it and over Fleming. Freak goal, nothing anyone could do about it.

The first pen - what a strange series of events. Rubes didn't deal with the ball forward, McLean got the best of him for pace (as he did all game), Fleming was committed and brought McLean down. To me, it looked just, very just, outside the area. The ref at first seemed to give a free kick. Then a flurry of Tics players ran towards the linesman...after which it soon appeared to transpire that the linesman had awarded the penalty. Fleming was booked (which was a strange decision as he was the last man and if it was a foul, definately denied a goalscoring opportunity. Good save from the spot by Fleming, and Latics seemed to up the momentum in the face of injustice, started to pass the ball around a bit, ultimately leading to DJ being taken out by an awful tackle. The Posh lad should have gone...and I can guarantee that if Fleming had been sent off, he would've done too. In the end, DJ was taken off for Lidds, Eards was moved to RB and Lomax to LB. We seemed to have more shape from this moment on (why Eards was RW to begin with I don't know...it's a sad state of affairs if Lomax isn't deemed good enough to defend at RB without having an extra RB in front of him).

Somewhat against the run of play came the second penalty. Absolute joke. CMS never appealed for anything, and I thought at first the ref had awarded us the free kick. I was livid when the first one was given, but literally had to laugh at the second. It was that ridiculous. Anyway, when it's one of those days things never go your way...CMS stepped up to take the pen, hits the post and it goes straight into McLean's path for 2-0. He'll never score a luckier two goals in his life.

Again, Latics upped the tempo and got their reward before HT when Hughes turned well to fire in, and could have been level when the same player missed a header from a corner.

The ref ruined the first half with a string of bookings for non-bookable tackles, as well as bookings for ones that could and should have warranted reds. This seemed to ultimately take away from the second half as players (in particular Whitaker) pulled out of tackles because either they'd been harshly booked in the first half or were afraid of a ridiculous booking from an atrocious ref.

Second half was not as jampacked...our second goal came from a nice set piece as Lids teed the ball up for himself, hit it on the volley, Lewis got down to his right and saved it but fumbled and Hughes nipped in to grab the equaliser. Poor keeping but great awareness and sharpness from Lee. Posh continued to create chances, McLean and CMS had good chances in the box, Boyd made a nuisance of himself but seemed to be intent on scoring a wonder goal from thirty yards rather than playing in his teammates.

In the final few minutes we could have both won it and lost it. Taylor's effort looked for all the world as if he'd scored, it beat Lewis and was heading in before Zakouani (sp?) seemed to defy physics by diving in to his right and managing to head it back over his left shoulder and wide for a corner. A truly remarkable piece of defending. Whits then had a good chance from the edge of the area that he blazed over...and 3mins 40secs into the 3 added on minutes CMS had a chance for Posh which he fluffed and Fleming got down well to save.

In the end, one point gained, and a point where many teams won't get anything this year. They're a very good side and will be at least playoffs IMO this season. It's just infuriariting bearing in mind the nature of two goals we conceded that we really could have won today, but hopefully our luck will even itself out over the season. Well done to the lads for coming back AGAIN, and this was the best so far apart from Millwall IMO.

Not going to do ratings but will say the following:

Fleming - did very well, nothing he could do about either goal. Made some good blocks and of course saved the penalty, and even though he gave away the first he was put in an awkward position by Rubes. Whilst I'm a huge Norm fan, Greg played very well today and it's good to see healthy competition for the jersey.

Taylor - They did a very good job on him I thought and he was quiet in the first half but came into it much more in the second. Posh fan I was talking to on the train back to Nottingham reckoned he was a cut above, our best player by some way and we could be lucky to hang on to him (tell us something we don't know, eh?).

Byfield - worked hard, skilful. Still think he's a good player to have on the books and if we can get a good deal with Doncaster then let's try and keep him on.

One final thing...the Posh fan on the train said we were the best side to play at London Road this year. Well done, lads.

Onwards to Orient on Saturday.

'SAME OLD FERGIES, ALWAYS CHEATING' :grin:

Edited by jsslatic

The first penalty, Fleming was outside the box and handled it didnt he? I thought the "ref" was going to send him off for handling outside the area.

2nd one. I thought it was just a gay despairing dive from Mackail Smith has he couldnt reach the cross to put it in the empty net-which made it looked like he'd been pushed..

The rebound pissed me off as our lot didn't seem to react, but to be fair it did just fall to McLeans feet the lucky bugger!

Zakaouni... how the feck did he do that!!?!?!

On the ITV Sport site Shez has confirmed what I said at the game:

"It is probably just as well that I wasn't on the touchline as I would have ended up with another ban.

"Only the referee thought the first one was a penalty but I am keeping quiet about his decisions because everyone in the ground saw for themselves.

"There were lots of things going on and plenty of it could have been avoided, but I won't say who by!"

P.S. Chant of the day to son of Taggart: WHAT'S IT LIKE TO BEAT YOUR WIFE?

The first penalty, Fleming was outside the box and handled it didnt he? I thought the "ref" was going to send him off for handling outside the area.

2nd one. I thought it was just a gay despairing dive from Mackail Smith has he couldnt reach the cross to put it in the empty net-which made it looked like he'd been pushed..

The rebound pissed me off as our lot didn't seem to react, but to be fair it did just fall to McLeans feet the lucky bugger!

Zakaouni... how the feck did he do that!!?!?!

So, the first one was a free kick then?

Or were the officials giving a penalty for a handball inside the box by the goalkeeper?

So, the first one was a free kick then?

Or were the officials giving a penalty for a handball inside the box by the goalkeeper?

Who bloomin knows.... it really was ridiculous. I would love to see the referee explain those decisions to anyone, never mind some sort of referee supervisor. If those two were penalties then we should have been down to 9 men too... just bottling half hearted decisions...

As for the Danny Jones tackle... just disgraceful. If that was in the premier league not only would he have been sent off but there would have been video protest to get him an extended suspension.

I know these guys have to 'learn' thier trade, but surely they should figure the basic rules of football before taking charge of a proffessional game.

Great game though - the lads were fantastic today. Very glad I didnt turn back when every train from the island that now is the south west was cancelled this morning...

At the time i thought he was just inside, or on the line and got the ball. The direction of the ball was the biggest indication he got the ball imo, a very odd decision ... it was either no penalty or a pen and a red for Fleming surely.

Shocking ref .. shocking assistants .. but like said well worth the £15 in.