Reflection on our home form

As usual following a home performance that I get frustrated with, I tend to leave it a few days before posting on the forum. It allows me to get over my initial (often over-the-top) feelings and post more in a more reflective manner.

OK - out home record is frustrating this season. We have lost one and drew 3 others that we'd hope to have won, and with a further draw against the current runaway league leaders which I think we all felt was a decent result.

Whilst every season has a couple of 'those' games, where you feel you have thrown points away against (believed) inferior opposition - we do seem to have been subject to a higher number of them to date this season. Of those 9 dropped points, you'd hope to have perhaps only dropped 4 or 5 given our promotion hopes.

The anger / annoyance / frustration posted on here is more about the 'where we could be' factor than any genuine deep seated view that we need to make wholesale changes to the team/manager - or at least that's my opinion.

Anyway - is our record as bad as we think? To put it into context, I thought I'd compare it to the commonly accepted "best season we have had in this cerappy league" under Dowie.

At a similar point (I have include the Boxing Day game, as it was a home game) we had already lost 4 home games and drew 2. We then went on to lost another 2 and draw a further 3. On our way to 5th place in the table we dropped a total 28 points at home.

So - yes its frustrating. Yes we could be in a better position. But we have had worse records and made the play-offs.

So cheer up, enjoy Christmas, and see you at Gresty Road.

As usual following a home performance that I get frustrated with, I tend to leave it a few days before posting on the forum. It allows me to get over my initial (often over-the-top) feelings and post more in a more reflective manner.

OK - out home record is frustrating this season. We have lost one and drew 3 others that we'd hope to have won, and with a further draw against the current runaway league leaders which I think we all felt was a decent result.

Whilst every season has a couple of 'those' games, where you feel you have thrown points away against (believed) inferior opposition - we do seem to have been subject to a higher number of them to date this season. Of those 9 dropped points, you'd hope to have perhaps only dropped 4 or 5 given our promotion hopes.

The anger / annoyance / frustration posted on here is more about the 'where we could be' factor than any genuine deep seated view that we need to make wholesale changes to the team/manager - or at least that's my opinion.

Anyway - is our record as bad as we think? To put it into context, I thought I'd compare it to the commonly accepted "best season we have had in this cerappy league" under Dowie.

At a similar point (I have include the Boxing Day game, as it was a home game) we had already lost 4 home games and drew 2. We then went on to lost another 2 and draw a further 3. On our way to 5th place in the table we dropped a total 28 points at home.

So - yes its frustrating. Yes we could be in a better position. But we have had worse records and made the play-offs.

As I said in an email to a group of friends this morning, I cannot believe we have lost only four games this season. It feels like we lose at home every week.

Good post Scapegoat, agree with the vast majority, if not all of it!

I think the main problem is most only see Oldham at home, hence why all this Shez out stuff has begun. Away were completely different, but as some only go to home games they assume our recent home performances reflect every game we play, when in truth it dosent.

As you say, i think people need to cheer up and actually look at the facts (i think weve the best home record bar Leicster?) and see that the glass is infact half full!

Merry Christmas everyone.

Good post.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Guest oa_exile
Only 4 points .. 2 draws .. hardly evidence to sack Shez!

Part of the "Issue" fans have with Shez is the football being played on the pitch , £20 to watch drivel.

Yes the points are important BUT also is the entertainment value, why do you think that fans are not showing up ?

It's not that we "Only" drew but the way we drew them.

A promoted team can usually expect to NOT win half their games (not always but 22 wins out of 46 is often enough for automatic promotion).

While there is clearly room for imrovement, we're still in the mix for automatic promotion and 10 games won out of 21 is not quite good enough, but not far off.

Sort it Shez. We're pretty close to being good enough.

i cant believe weve lost just 4 games either- its just the last 4 home performances that are worrying even though we beat walsall, but struggled to do so. I cant see past use drawing with carlisle either the wise man would put money on the 1-1 draw

Just before I left on Saturday I was very close to breaking my rule of not betting on Latics and logging onto Ladbrokes to back the 1-1 draw. It made me even more upset after the game!! Mind you had I then we would have lost :lol: