Deano Plotting Wembley Return

Windass has eye on return to Wembley with Oldham

15 January 2009

By

HULL CITY'S Wembley hero Dean Windass is already plotting a return to the scene of his finest hour – and a possible showdown with either Leeds United or Huddersfield Town.

The 39-year-old last week bade a reluctant farewell to the Tigers by joining Oldham Athletic on loan after a fairytale two-year spell that peaked with 'that' promotion-clinching goal against Bristol City last May.

Typically, Windass made an immediat impact on his Latics debut by hitting the crossbar and producing a fine all-round display in Monday night's 2-1 victory over Hartlepool United.

The win was enough to power John Sheridan's side up to third place where they enjoy a significant advantage over Yorkshire duo Huddersfield and Leeds in the race for the League One play-offs.

Despite that, Windass is expecting both White Rose clubs to make a strong challenge for a place in the top six during the second half of the season – and a possible return trip to Wembley on May 24, a date that the Hull-born striker will never forget.

He told the Yorkshire Post: "It was a brilliant feeling to be back playing on Monday night for Oldham. After the game, my wife said it was the first time she had seen my teeth in ages because I had not smiled for such a long time.

"It has been a frustrating few months for me and I have been taking that home so I think she is just as pleased as me that I am back playing.

"I was really impressed with Oldham, too. The win over Hartlepool has put Oldham in a position where they have every chance of reaching the play-offs. Or, if results go our way, maybe even automatic promotion.

"The main thing, though, is to ensure we are in at least the top six by the end of the season to give us a crack at the play-offs.

"And with the final being on May 24 – exactly one year to the day since my goal at Wembley for Hull City – then maybe it is written in the stars for a return. I hope so."

The Windass family home has remained in West Yorkshire for the past decade despite the travels that have taken in stops at Bradford City (twice), Middlesbrough, both Sheffield clubs and Hull.

He added: "If Oldham can get to the final and play either Huddersfield or Leeds, then that would be brilliant – even though I would, ideally, like to see both of them go up.

"My son Josh is 15 and he plays for Huddersfield's Academy team so I want them to do well. They have done well lately and look to have every chance of getting in the play-offs.

"It is the same with Leeds. I know a lot of Leeds fans seem to think I don't like them but that is not the case. I live in West Yorkshire so want Leeds – and my old club Bradford, for that matter – to do well.

"The more Yorkshire sides that we can get into the Championship, the better. It would be great for the whole area – as long as it is not at the expense of Oldham, of course."

Windass's departure from the KC Stadium brought to an end an amazing fairytale return to the club where it all started in the Nineties under Terry Dolan.

Scoring the goals that kept Hull in the Championship in 2006-07 and then netting the winner at Wembley to end a 104-year wait for top-flight football means his legendary status in the city is assured.

Nevertheless, his final few months at the KC were difficult for Windass after he was reduced to being a frustrated spectator by Phil Brown's desire to go with younger legs.

Some believe the 39-year-old should have quit the Tigers after the Wembley triumph, but even allowing for how this season has turned out Windass does not agree.

He said: "I never wanted to leave but it is a fact of life as a footballer that, sometimes, you have to move on.

"I could have stayed at Hull, picking up my money. But that is not me.

"It is a shame it ended negatively but I still have no regrets about not leaving at the end of last season as some people are suggesting now.

"The only regret I have is not being given an opportunity to prove myself in the Premier league. I still think I could have done well for Hull City.

"But that is gone now. I have no bad feelings towards Phil Brown, even though we didn't speak for the last couple of weeks. What matters now is the future."

High on Windass's list of priorities is saying a proper goodbye to the City fans who gave him such fantastic support during two spells with the club.

He added: "I wish I could have said my goodbyes properly, but the good thing is I should get the chance in my benefit game at the end of the season.

"It is being planned at the moment and should be between Hull City and an ex-Tigers side with people like Steve McClaren and Brian Marwood being involved.

"All we are just waiting for is FA clearance."

Nothing to be scared of, Leeds Leicester and MK Dons games are key - Got to get 6 from 9 poits for me

Oddly, getting 5 from 9 could be better.

Wins against Leeds and Leicester but losing to MK dons (6 points) would be worse than drawing with Leeds and Leicester but winning at MK Dons (5 points earned, but closer to MK Dons than the first scenario).

Edited by opinions4u