Hereford - On reflection a potential positive...

Having had the opportunity to reflect on Saturday's 5-0 drubbing by Hereford on my flight back to Scotland and at home over the weekend I would like to offer the following as a potential positive.

Firstly let me say 'Yes it was terrible, the worst performance I have seen for quite some time' but it brings to mind something that Phil 'The Power' Taylor said in an interview recently.

Taylor said that he had been talking to his mate Ricky Hatton at the time when Hatton was at his very, very best, sweeping all opponents before him.

Hatton had said ‘You know Phil, getting beaten in the ring one day might just make me a better boxer’.

I sort of know what Hatton meant.

For Oldham now, the important thing is not to wallow in the misery of Saturday’s defeat but to look forward to the up-coming matches against Stockport and Swindon, and to set the record square, showing that we have well and truly learnt our lesson.

If we were to take 6 points from these 2 games with good performances then - for me at least - the painful memory of the Hereford debacle could be resigned to history.

If we were to take 6 points from these 2 games with good performances then - for me at least - the painful memory of the Hereford debacle could be resigned to history.

I applaud your sentiments, but I still haven't got over Stockport giving us a goal start and then playing us off the Park.

I have just looked at the match stats to find we only recieved 1 booking. I left just before half time so obviously dont know what the second half was like. But to only recieve one booking shows me we went down without a fight. The other way to look at this is that, at least they wont contribute to a suspension but i still feel that a few hard tackles and yellow cards would have shown they cared

Having had the opportunity to reflect on Saturday's 5-0 drubbing by Hereford on my flight back to Scotland and at home over the weekend I would like to offer the following as a potential positive.

Firstly let me say 'Yes it was terrible, the worst performance I have seen for quite some time' but it brings to mind something that Phil 'The Power' Taylor said in an interview recently.

Taylor said that he had been talking to his mate Ricky Hatton at the time when Hatton was at his very, very best, sweeping all opponents before him.

Hatton had said ‘You know Phil, getting beaten in the ring one day might just make me a better boxer’.

I sort of know what Hatton meant.

For Oldham now, the important thing is not to wallow in the misery of Saturday’s defeat but to look forward to the up-coming matches against Stockport and Swindon, and to set the record square, showing that we have well and truly learnt our lesson.

Well said

I said after the match we could have got a draw against Hartlepool and a draw against Hereford. No one would have complained that much but we would have been worse off than we are now. To quote Batman's Dad, you fall down to learn how to get up again. Lets see how Latics get up again!!!!

I have just looked at the match stats to find we only recieved 1 booking. I left just before half time so obviously dont know what the second half was like. But to only recieve one booking shows me we went down without a fight. The other way to look at this is that, at least they wont contribute to a suspension but i still feel that a few hard tackles and yellow cards would have shown they cared

Like you, I kept expecting some player(s) to lose it and get booked, or even sent off. It would have been an understandable reaction to being thrashed, but the bonus is that there are no suspensions to add insult to injury.