Wii or Xbox 360?

Stitch_KTF

The recent 'Ring of Death' thread made me think to post this query on here. Im thinking of buying a games console but dont really know what to get as I'm well out of touch with things like this. Haven't played regularly since I had a Nintendo64. I have a PS2 but only ever really used it for dvd's, football and rallying games (oh and bomberman - classic).

Which would you recommend between the Wii and Xbox? It seems to me there is an argument for having both! Suppose I'd want to be playing games like pro-evo and rallying games - probably whatever todays equivalent of 'GoldenEye' is too :) An Xbox would be better for such things would it not? On the other hand im told a Wii is better for multi-player games, the sweetheart (MarioKart) and has it's obvious novelty factor.

The fella in the shop told me the Xbox is better but the Wii is more fun........ :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Decisions! Oh and I don't really fancy the PS3 due to cost and my lack of a HD telly.....or is it worth the extra anyway??

Are there any good offers/packages that anybody knows of?

Cheers for any advice,

Im the man to answer that. In my house ive currently got.........

PS1 (not used anymore though)

PS2

PS3

Xbox

Xbox360

PSP

gameboy

gameboy colour

gameboy advanced

nintendo ds

nintendo ds Lite

nintendo Wii

And i aint joking with that list, ive got them all as i love games consoles.

The Xbox wins it for me hands down, although the Wii is a great laugh if your mates come round or you want a fun night with the family. Be warned though, it can get very knackering, especially the boxing.

The PS3 is good but i just dont like the controller, the Xbox360 is perfect and the gameplay is brilliant, and if you want a really addictive game then buy Guitar Hero World Tour, its the one with Microphone, drums set and guitar. Feels like youve only been on it for 30 minutes then you realise its 2am and youve been on it for 4 hours.

Decisions! Oh and I don't really fancy the PS3 due to cost and my lack of a HD telly.....or is it worth the extra anyway??

If you dont have a HD telly, dont buy an xbox360.

If you want realism and good gameplay, the 360 is for you. If you want innovative gameplay, then the Wii. But to get the full effect of the 360's graphics, you need a HD telly. I have played mine on both, and the difference is immense.

Edited by dave_ragg1984

Cheers fellas, I actually have a HD telly in my bedroom which is where the console would probably end up of it wasn't a Wii! :lol:

So it seems the Xbox 360 is more suitable? Now.....I know there are different types. Which do I need? Is the one with the smallest hard-drive sufficient? What is that called? Sorry to keep bothering....maybe I should just burgle Chaddy? :wink:

Cheers fellas, I actually have a HD telly in my bedroom which is where the console would probably end up of it wasn't a Wii! :lol:

So it seems the Xbox 360 is more suitable? Now.....I know there are different types. Which do I need? Is the one with the smallest hard-drive sufficient? What is that called? Sorry to keep bothering....maybe I should just burgle Chaddy? :wink:

Xbox 360 all the way!

Your best getting the extra and paying for a package whereby you get a harddrive (Elite or Premium rather than the Arcade version with no harddrive) so you can save games etc.

The smallest harddrive will be sufficient enough (is the smallest now 60gb?). My harddrive is 20gb, which was the norm when they first come out, l and i still have loads of saved games and demos on it etc. The larger harddrives came more apparent when Microsoft introduced the ability to download movies, which took up more space, but if its just gaming you intend on using it for, i see no reason why the small hard drive shouldn't be sufficient.

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/produc...ole_pack_-_60gb

I think it will be the Premium Package you will be looking for. Best to shop around instore too aswell as online as they offer lots of different packages for different prices and different pros and cons with each.

Xbox 360 all the way!

Your best getting the extra and paying for a package whereby you get a harddrive (Elite or Premium rather than the Arcade version with no harddrive) so you can save games etc.

The smallest harddrive will be sufficient enough (is the smallest now 60gb?). My harddrive is 20gb, which was the norm when they first come out, l and i still have loads of saved games and demos on it etc. The larger harddrives came more apparent when Microsoft introduced the ability to download movies, which took up more space, but if its just gaming you intend on using it for, i see no reason why the small hard drive shouldn't be sufficient.

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/produc...ole_pack_-_60gb

I think it will be the Premium Package you will be looking for. Best to shop around instore too aswell as online as they offer lots of different packages for different prices and different pros and cons with each.

Cheers Ste - that looks like the sort of thing I want....in the shops it's always packages with games I don't want!

You can try if you want. Dont bother about the dog he doesnt bite.....But beware of the missus, she will moan you to death and give you a chinese burn followed by several hours of winging about how im always out the house doing one thing or another. :tongue1:

Sounds to me like she would be happy to be my accomplice :)

Cheers Ste - that looks like the sort of thing I want....in the shops it's always packages with games I don't want!

Yeah thats the downside of most packages. They all think we play crap like Viva Pinata! However sometimes they do some good deals with the likes of FIFA09 and Call of Duty thrown in there too. If its not a game you want also, if you take it to CEX (Computer Exchange) in manchester they will give you £20-£30 cash so you can go elsewhere and buy another game.

Also if you have good internet, defo worth setting up Xbox Live Gold Membership. You will get a month free gold membership to try it out so youcan play games online, then it will revert back to silver, where you cant play online, just maintain a friends list. Membership is cheap though. You can buy prepaid cards for 1 year (around £34.99) and 3 monthly ones (like i do, for about £13.99). Certainly a factor thatsets the 360 out from its rivals as the online gaming is excellent.

As mentioned above, its all the more sweeter with a HD TV too! :wink:

Right this is coming from someone who has both a ps3 and a 360. A few points to consider regarding these two

- You wont get the most out of either of them unless you have a HD Telly.

- If you intend to play games online then it has to be the 360 all the way. I have found PS3's online performance is pretty abysmal compared to xbox live, very frequent disconnections from psn and lots of lag. xbox live always get a very solid connection (over wireless too) and very little lag.

- PS3 can play blu ray discs, and is the best blu ray player on the market. On a HD telly they look the :censored:!!!! You need a HDMI cable to view them though.

- The PS3 is the more powerful console, but the 360 is easier to develop for. Alot of themultformat games in the past were probably slightly better on the 360. However, the more recent ones (such as call of duty 4, call of duty world at war, ea sports 09 series) are more or less identical, and some would argue that GTA4 is slightly better on the ps3 although i cant really say much there as I have only played the 360 version.

- PS3's physically look nicer, and are a hell of alot quieter. Xbox 360's are loud!!!!!

- Have a look at the exclusives for each console, with the 360 your getting the likes of halo, Project Gotham Racing, Gears of War. Playstation your getting Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, Little Big Planet, Gran Turismo 5 when it comes out to name a few.

- Hard Disk - The XBox 360 hard disk is specifically for that console. They can be bought as a standalone but I think the 120GB one is £100 when bought on its own. With the PS3 you can buy any laptop 2.5" HDD that runs at 4200RPM, hence considerably cheaper to upgrade your HDD space.

- Red ring of death: This isnt really too much of an issue on the newer xboxes as they use lower powered parts, hence run cooler. Although you still have 3 years warranty should your xbox snuff it due to the red ring of death.

Hope this has been of some help

Edited by Lookers_Carl

- PS3's physically look nicer, and are a hell of alot quieter. Xbox 360's are loud!!!!!

Everything you say is spot on, but if you install the games to the 360 (needs at least the 60gb HD) then it becomes really quiet.

I have the 360 Elite, its the nuts. I upgraded because the HD is 120gb and its black (to match my telly). It also has HDMI socket, which the launch console didn't have (not too much of an issue now because all the models include a HDMI socket, but i think im right in thinking that only the elite has the cable).

Everything you say is spot on, but if you install the games to the 360 (needs at least the 60gb HD) then it becomes really quiet.

I have the 360 Elite, its the nuts. I upgraded because the HD is 120gb and its black (to match my telly). It also has HDMI socket, which the launch console didn't have (not too much of an issue now because all the models include a HDMI socket, but i think im right in thinking that only the elite has the cable).

Well, quieter. still not as quiet as the ps3

All 360's now have a hdmi socket, mine is the premium and it has one on although i use the component cables, hdmi is occupied by the ps3

I bought a 360. Happy with it but shame I couldnt find the Pro Evo xbox which comes with the game essentially for free! Sold out everywhere with it being such a good deal. Already got about 15 games (bought 6 and been given a load :) ) but have only played Racedriver Grid it's awesome! See what people meant about the HD telly, it really does make a difference.

Cheers for the advice....no doubt I'll be back when it comes to getting onto xbox live!

Any must have games?

I bought a 360. Happy with it but shame I couldnt find the Pro Evo xbox which comes with the game essentially for free! Sold out everywhere with it being such a good deal. Already got about 15 games (bought 6 and been given a load :) ) but have only played Racedriver Grid it's awesome! See what people meant about the HD telly, it really does make a difference.

Cheers for the advice....no doubt I'll be back when it comes to getting onto xbox live!

Any must have games?

GTA is pretty good. Gears of War 2 is also a good un.

Depends on what your into really. I like sports games, and think Madden 09 and NHL 09 are must haves, both are brilliant. NHL 09 is really difficult, but is probably the best sports sim I've ever played on.

Fifa 09 is a class above pro evo this year

And this is coming from a now ex die hard pro evo fan. I even bought it this yr before fifa hoping and beleiving it would be better, but its still very very lagy online, the keepers AI is well and truly awful.

Call of Duty is also an essential online game!!!!!