ERNIE COOKSEY

I originally wrote this in reply to a thread further down the page but..........i am interested in honest opinions.having watched latics for over 20 years i have seen top players come and go, some legends? some not .but what contitutes a legend? what the guys on here do with the flag is fantastic the way they spread the word about this awful diseace is brilliant and i write this as someone who has lost 3 friends(one very close) and a famiily member over the last 18 months to various types of cancer, keep up the good work!

i would like honest views regarding the subject and no insults if possible, agree or disagree and why?

i have wanted to say this for a long time as my oldham supporting friends know.

ernie cooksey is not an oldham LEGEND, he is a player who put a 100% in every game but didnt have a great deal of proffesional football talent.

he worked his arse off every game he played no doubt and in hindsight i loved him for it, but would he have got in todays team or sqaud?

i know this may upset alot of people on this board and that is not my intention but why is he a legend because of his history with latics or because his life was cut tragically short by a diseace that does not disriminate.

the reason i say this is because of the threads, if only we had 11 ernie cookseys

well what if we had 11 paul warnes.......11 andy barlows..........11 roger palmers .........11 andy ritchies............11 eric gemmels.........11 chris porters........11 ronnie blairs........11...........winston duboses............11 neil edmonds...............11 wayne heseltine.........11 tony carrs...........11 ........phil starbucks.........11 mike fillerys what?

would you be happy?, with all work and no product......not many are happy now are you?

i do write this while thinking a great deal about it and i am not the most sucsinct person in the world or even on this board and i have been known to talk/write crap regarding my opinion on oldham but.......

i am very interested in other peoples honest views

why is he a legend when if he was alive 99% of this board would not have thougfht twice about him if he had stil been playing for grays?

I originally wrote this in reply to a thread further down the page but..........i am interested in honest opinions.having watched latics for over 20 years i have seen top players come and go, some legends? some not .but what contitutes a legend? what the guys on here do with the flag is fantastic the way they spread the word about this awful diseace is brilliant and i write this as someone who has lost 3 friends(one very close) and a famiily member over the last 18 months to various types of cancer, keep up the good work!

i would like honest views regarding the subject and no insults if possible, agree or disagree and why?

i have wanted to say this for a long time as my oldham supporting friends know.

ernie cooksey is not an oldham LEGEND, he is a player who put a 100% in every game but didnt have a great deal of proffesional football talent.

he worked his arse off every game he played no doubt and in hindsight i loved him for it, but would he have got in todays team or sqaud?

i know this may upset alot of people on this board and that is not my intention but why is he a legend because of his history with latics or because his life was cut tragically short by a diseace that does not disriminate.

the reason i say this is because of the threads, if only we had 11 ernie cookseys

well what if we had 11 paul warnes.......11 andy barlows..........11 roger palmers .........11 andy ritchies............11 eric gemmels.........11 chris porters........11 ronnie blairs........11...........winston duboses............11 neil edmonds...............11 wayne heseltine.........11 tony carrs...........11 ........phil starbucks.........11 mike fillerys what?

would you be happy?, with all work and no product......not many are happy now are you?

i do write this while thinking a great deal about it and i am not the most sucsinct person in the world or even on this board and i have been known to talk/write crap regarding my opinion on oldham but.......

i am very interested in other peoples honest views

why is he a legend when if he was alive 99% of this board would not have thougfht twice about him if he had stil been playing for grays?

[quite smple realy..he was an everyday guy a me a you who lived a dream nighty night

[quite smple realy..he was an everyday guy a me a you who lived a dream nighty night

yep... he was the average guy who lived his dream. Didn't he give up his day job to become a pro?

Also - he was genuinly one of the nicest, most caring and sincere people you could ever meet.

The fact that he played for Oldham and gave it his all was the icing and why we were fortunate to have been graced with his presence.

I would not have 11 roger palmers because he would always go missing.

11 andy richies would be head tennis all day.

11 paul warnes would just run circles round each other.

11 chris porters would bankrupt us.

11 tony carrs........... maybe

yep... he was the average guy who lived his dream. Didn't he give up his day job to become a pro?

Also - he was genuinly one of the nicest, most caring and sincere people you could ever meet.

The fact that he played for Oldham and gave it his all was the icing and why we were fortunate to have been graced with his presence.

I would not have 11 roger palmers because he would always go missing.

11 andy richies would be head tennis all day.

11 paul warnes would just run circles round each other.

11 chris porters would bankrupt us.

11 tony carrs........... maybe

He was the player that is part of every team in the land - a decent honest bloke who played the game that we all love - his early death was a stark reminder to us all that we should live life to the full - he is and always will be a legend in my eyes :wink: