Next season

Jesus lads I knew it was grim up North, but some of these posts make me want to give up breathing...

How any man with half a brain can say that a club at our level would not want to keep Neal Eardley baffles me. This constant carping about him is ridiculous - if he's not good enough then there are a lot of clubs in a lot of trouble next year.

I agree with the overall point of the post, because in Taylor, Eardley, Fleming and Smalley we have four young lads who are well capable of going on to be very good footballers indeed. Lee looks good too, and I'll be very interested to see him once he's got a starting spot and is match fit.

Stephens and Black haven't been tested yet, but from what little we know they are considered to be good prospects. I'm concerned that Alessandra and O'Grady haven't got goals in them, but then I don't think the latter got a fair crack of the whip this year and the former shows promise sporadically.

As for the defence, last season we were all indebted to a fine Hazell-Stam partnership that kept us on the fringes of the play-offs despite having a serious problem getting the ball in the net.

Why does a bad end to the season render all the above obselete? I think we've blown a big chance this year, but there are some good players in the mix above and if we can get them all pulling together and get the team spirit back then there's no reason that we can't have a good season. Whether that means pulling into the top half with a small budget or buying a goal-scorer and hoping for the play-offs we'll have to wait and see.

It'll be an interesting close season, but for God's sake take the noose off, put the gun down and think rationally about what we do have, rather than taking the collapse of a hugely disappointing season as the end of the world.

:rifle: