Interview with an Opposition Fan

ste1987

Interview with an Opposition Fan

#2 - Leyton Orient

Welcome to this week’s edition of Interview with an Opposition Fan. Each week, myself and Razza699 scour for opposition fans to answer the questions we put towards them in the build up to the subsequent fixture.

For the second game of the season, Latics make their first southern away trip of the season down to Brisbane Road to face Leyton Orient. This week, Razza tracked down some O’s fans to answer a selection of questions.

1. Geraint Williams did a good job at keeping you up last year after Ling’s dismissal. Are you expecting a better season this time around?

- Yes Geraint has given us a new purpose.

- He has really improved the team and made a couple of good signings, we play more attacking football now and I think we have more chance of doing well than we did when Ling was in charge.

- Geraint seems to be able to get the best out of players and has made some good signings. Good season for us I think.

- Certainly, if nothing more I would expect more fun!

- Yes we are. Williams did an excellent job in picking up the threads and turning around what was a team looking doomed to relegation. End of season performances were more like promotion form, and we finished comfortably outside the relegation battle, so we're obviously expecting a better season.

2. We all saw that wonderful result against Newcastle, but how do you think pre-season has gone so far and how have the other fixtures gone? Where would you like to finish and where do you think you will finish this season in League One?

- Mixed pre-season but it is about fitness and game play, would love the playoffs but more realistic 10th to 12th

- The pre-season result against Newcastle doesn't really count for much, but it was a great morale booster. The other pre-season games weren't anything like as promising, but there were no disasters. As for finishing, we'd obviously like to finish in the promotion places, but I think a playoff place is more likely, and definitely achievable.

- Pre-season has been okay, we have beaten Newcastle as you mentioned but we have also lost to Ebbsfleet and drawn with Hayes and Yeading. I would love us to just sneak a play-off place but we are more likely to finish around 10th-14th.

- Pre-Season was pretty average apart from the Newcastle match, I would like us to make play offs but think we`ll be content with a mid table finish.

- Great against Newcastle, otherwise so-so. Playoffs.

- Very mixed really, we have seen attacking intent and poor defending, a tight defence and some poor finishing across all the games. I'd be happy with a top 10 finish but if that happens you know we'll be gutted not to have made the play offs. It’s a realistic target if our thin squad stays healthy and the loan market is well utilised.

3. Great start against Bristol Rovers in your opening fixture. But were you worthy winners?

- Yes I think so, great team work effort.

- We dominated the first half and should really have gone in at half-time 2-0 up, great goal by Jimmy Smith in the second half and overall we deserved the win.

- A good professional performance with a goal worthy of winning any game by Jimmy Smith.

- Quite an even game, but I thought we deserved it. And we'll get better.

- Don't know, wasn't there but heard it was a nice professional performance.

- It was an entertaining game against Rovers, and I thought that generally it was an even game. Rovers seemed to reply a lot on the now-departed Lambert, and they missed quite a few good chances. We took ours, and though I don't think we could have complained about a draw I think we probably just about edged it, by looking the more comfortable team on the day.

4. A few big teams are in League One this year. Who are you looking forward to playing?

- I’m looking forward to playing Charlton and Southampton the most. We had a great Cup game away at Charlton in our promotion season and Southampton are a very big club!

- If we’re playing well I`ll be looking forward to every game but of course all the teams that have come down plus Brentford especially.

- Gillingham.

- Charlton or Southampton.

- Quite a few, actually. Obviously Dirty Leeds, Norwich and Southampton, but also Brentford, Wycombe and Charlton, on account of them being local.

5. Any team that you’re not looking forward to playing?

- Brentford.

- Not really, but if I had to say one it would be Carlisle away because of the distance.

- Not really.

- Millwall, I guess. Their fans genuinely are as unpleasant as their reputation suggests and it's just not an enjoyable atmosphere either home or away.

6. Have you signed anyone yet? If so, are you pleased with them? Also who is your Star man to watch out for?

- Yes I am pleased with all the new players, Star man is Sean Thornton.

- We have re-signed Scott McGleish who was on loan last season from Wycombe and was vital to keeping us up, we also signed a Romanian striker called Adrian Patulea from Lincoln. We also signed Jimmy Smith from Chelsea and James Scowcroft along with Andros Townsend on loan from Tottenham. Our best signing has got to be Ben Chorley, he has started very well alongside Tamika Mkandawire and I don’t think we will be letting many goals in this season. Watch out for Jason Demetriou, he is best in central midfield and can really hurt opposition teams when he plays well.

- Ben Chorley (Tranmere’s loss, he is class).

- All good signings. Our central defenders will be hard to get past.

- Chorley from Tranmere, Patulea from Lincoln, Jimmy Smith from Chelsea, McGleish is now perm again and the ageing Scowcroft. All look to have their merits but Chorley alongside Tamika Mkandawire at centre back looks like a pairing that could stop most forward lines. Star man is probably Tamika for me, Thornton has the ability to excite but can he overcome form/fitness/personal issues!

- We've signed a few promising players, Chorley is already looking very solid at the back. I guess our star man would be Sean Thornton, who really is a class act, when he can be bothered.

7. Who do you think will win the league and who would you like to win the league this season?

- I think Leeds but I hope Norwich.

- I think that Huddersfield will win the league this year, I would most like Orient to win the league but it’s not going happen!

- Southampton - Leyton Orient.

- Forget it. It’s going to the big boys!

- Leeds should finally get it right (Forest took the same amount of time) and Grayson isn't a champagne manager like previously. If not Orient then I'd be happy with Charlton but can't see it.

- I guess Leeds will be up there, as I can't see them messing up a third time. Who would I like to win the League? Orient, of course.

8. Is there anyone you would like the O’s to sign or are you happy with the squad? Any weak areas on the pitch?

- A left back.

- We have quite a strong first team but really need to sign a left-back and a winger.

- We have a small squad and will probably bolster it with the usual array of loan players from around us i.e.: Spurs, Wet Sham reserves etc.

- Small squad, but reasonably happy.

- As previously a bit too thin. I'd have liked to see another winger in but can't think of any I'd really want.

- I'm reasonably happy with the squad, though I think we could do with a better dedicated left back, probably another midfielder and I'd love a proven striker, but no names spring to mind.

9. How do you think Oldham will do in League One this year?

- About the same at the O's.

- They will probably finish top half of the table just missing out on the play-offs.

- Mid-table.

- Top half.

- I know they've been talked about as a decent proposition, but I don't quite see it yet. However Dave Penney is not daft and a good manager at this level. I see a play off place and then promotion should be the target next season.

- I think it'll be a season of consolidation for the Latics after a rough time last season. Mid-table to playoffs will be a result.

10. Finally, what do you think the score will be at Brisbane Road tomorrow?

- 2-0 to the O’s.

- 1-0 to the O’s.

- 2-0 Orient.

- 2-0.

- 3-1.

- Hard to predict the first home game score. Our home form was appalling last season, we lost about 12 games, and so we really, really need to improve on that. But we've looked good so far, Oldham haven't looked particularly good as yet and I think we'll win 3-1.

Many thanks to those Leyton Orient fans who answered our questions this week. Confidence seems to be high at Brisbane Road, with the O’s fans expecting a comfortable home win. However, can their problems/concerns in the full-back positions and lack of squad depth be their downfall? We’ll soon know come 5pm on Saturday!

keep these up, they are much appreciated and very interesting read.

Thanks for the feedback mate.

We are aiming to do a Millwall one, but lets say they arent the most 'co-operative' of chaps, so that interview might have reduced depth as the others have done.