Interview with an Opposition Fan

ste1987

Interview with an Opposition Fan

#3 - Millwall

Welcome to this week’s edition of Interview with an Opposition Fan. Each week, myself and Razza699 scour for opposition fans to answer the questions we put toward them in the build up to the subsequent fixture.

For the third league game in this campaign, and the second trip down south in as many days, we visit our ‘friendly’ League One comrades – Millwall! This week, I tracked down a few Millwall fans to answer a selection of our questions.

1. Kenny Jackett is currently entering his third season (second full season) in charge at Millwall. What are your opinions on him and has he had enough time so far to shape the squad to his style of play?

- I think this is the season he needs to show what he's been doing behind the scenes. Last year there were a few lucky last minute goals and this year we should start winning games by 2 or more goals if we want to go up and more importantly, stay up!

- This is make or break for Kenny Jackett this season. After seasons of promotion “expectations”, he needs to finally cross us over the final finish line.

- I think this season Kenny will be more determined than ever to get us promoted. He makes sure our players have high levels of fitness and has now established Millwall. He just needs to take us over that final hurdle into the next league.

2. How has pre-season gone for The Lions and how have your performed in your friendlies?

- We won all of our games apart from one which was a 1-1 draw with Middlesbrough, a game in which we looked on top and their goal was against the run of play

- Pre-season has generally gone well on the whole. Although we have got mainly wins in this period, these count for nothing. The main key is fitness and something that needs to be nailed on now to prevent injuries throughout the season.

- Pre-season I don’t personally care about. The main aim is getting players fit for the season. Jackett demands high levels of fitness, and hopefully these results will be demonstrated on the pitch through results.

3. Have you made any signings so far for the upcoming season? If so, are you happy with them?

- Not many, just the three I think Steve Morison from Stevenage, he looks promising and hit the post against Carlisle; Jack Smith from Swindon, not overly impressed; and John Sullivan from Brighton he's not played I don’t think

- Jason Price and John Sullivan were both free transfers from Doncaster and Brighton respectively, and we forked out £130k for Steve Morison from Stevenage. Happy with them so far, but as with any team, improvements can be made anywhere when a player of better quality comes along.

- We have made a few signings as mentioned above, but we still lack the final finish up front, so a proven striker would be nice.

4. Millwall just missed out on promotion through the Playoffs last year. Realistically, how do you think you will fair this season in League One?

- We should be pushing for automatic promotion. Personally, I think we'll finish 3rd and go up through the play offs.

- Playoff heart-break no doubt yet again. I hope I’m wrong though and we manage to scrape automatic!

- If we can keep hold of our key players like Abdou, then I think we will be there or thereabouts again come the end of the season.

5. League One contains a few big teams this season. Which Millwall fixtures caught your eye when they were released and who are you most looking forward to playing?

- LEEDS, Charlton and Orient are the first ones I looked for, the games with a good atmosphere.

- The usual big games from those that have come down from the championship. However, most Wall fans are looking forward to the West Ham cup fixture at the moment.

- On a personal level, any London based derby games. They always add that extra bit of spice and atmosphere! Also looking forward to Charlton and Southampton in particular.

6. So far, Millwall have got 2 points from 2 games. What would you say are your strengths and weaknesses, both on and off the pitch?

- We are very strong at the back but we lack that bit extra when it comes to the goals.

- On Saturday we played extremely poor, so I would like to see how the Millwall players react to the draw.

- We need a bit more luck. We have a strong defence but definitely need another striker, and one that can score many at this level.

7. Who is Millwall’s ‘Key Player’ this year? Who should we look out for at The New Den on Tuesday and for the rest of the season?

- Jimmy Abdou in midfield. He is a fundamental player for us, and one we need to keep hold of if we have any aspirations to be promoted.

- Zak Whitbread in defence will be fundamental to Millwall this season in keeping the goals out.

- Jimmy Abdou. He has been linked with a move away more recently and I think we will struggle to keep hold of him.

8. Who do you think will win League One this season and who do you think is the ‘Dark Horse’?

- Charlton for the title. Dark horse maybe Gillingham or Brentford, but Orient and Colchester seem like good sides.

- I think the title this year has Leeds name on it. Having been stuck here for the past 2 seasons, I think this will be the season they will storm it. Dark horse would be Huddersfield. They seem to have assembled a good side this year.

- Leeds for championship. Dark horses in Hudders and Norwich (despite their 7-1 opening day defeat!).

9. How do you think Oldham will do in the forthcoming League One campaign?

- With David Penney on board, I think they will do well. He knows the lower leagues very well and with his experience and successes at Doncaster, he certainly knows what it takes to get out of this league.

- Oldham will do well, but need to remain consistent. They seemed to dip in the second half of last season, and if they would have ended the season as they began, they would have been in the playoffs, if not automatics, no problem. Having made some additions to their squad in the summer, I expect them to be up there.

- If Oldham can replace Lee Hughes’ fire power with someone else, I think they will be up there. Every team that gets promoted tends to have that goalscorer who nets the majority of their goals. If Pawel Abbott can step up to the plate, I think this year could be their season.

10. Finally, what do you think the score will be between Oldham and Millwall on Tuesday night?

- 2-1 to Millwall in an exciting game!

- 1-0 Millwall.

- 2-1 to Oldham (based on previous games at The New Den – but I hope I’m wrong!)

Many thanks to those Millwall fans who answered our questions this week. It seems as though many Millwall fans expect a reaction against Latics from their poor results in their opening league fixtures. However, this has not tainted their confidence, with their fans believing they can get a victory despite their poor record against Oldham at The New Den in previous seasons.

All seems very civilised!!

How about the stuff you couldnt share! :lol:

Every time I watch Miiii it always strikes me that if you stop Abdou, they lose all the drive in thier team.... methinks this is a job for Furman and Worthington! :)

All seems very civilised!!

How about the stuff you couldnt share! :lol:

Every time I watch Miiii it always strikes me that if you stop Abdou, they lose all the drive in thier team.... methinks this is a job for Furman and Worthington! :)

worthington to stop abdou in his tracks and furman to test their defence, I like zak whitbread in thier defence, if we got a bit of money from the eardley transfer i would definately be speaking to him

worthington to stop abdou in his tracks and furman to test their defence, I like zak whitbread in thier defence, if we got a bit of money from the eardley transfer i would definately be speaking to him

he wants to play in the Champ

Well done Ste,

I know that was like getting water out of a stone trying to get proper answers out of them lot

Yeah it was definitely the poorest response, hence why only 3 replies rather than the usual number we get from co-operative fans (where we usually have to chose the best responses and cut down.) All they were banging on about was Lee Hughes.

What a 'pleasant' lot they were...