a bit of loanin and moanin

I am getting worried that DP is turning into Shez mark2 - I understand the need to balance the books, all about maintaining the balance and even maximising resources or at least I think I do -but I am getting more and more puzzled with regard to players in and out of BP and where the strategy is heading

Players out -O'Grady if he's not good enough get rid -whats the use in sending him out on loan AGAIN -will he come back a better player -certainly did not happen last time - if he doesn't figure in DP's plans let him go

- Allesandra -same goes -even if he scores two goals a game at Chester does that mean he comes back straight into the team for Div 1 - I think not -so why not make the parting perm.

In both cases DP prefers a young inexperienced 19 yr old in the team to either of them -enough said

Stephens -is he going to make it -I don't know - got to say I have not seen enough of him -maybe and just maybe a spell on loan might work -but not in the stiffs or sat on the bench at Dale - he can do that at BP - so why did he go

- Lee - surely he has had enough time at BP for the manager to know if he is in his plans or not -for me give him a chance with the first team or release him -certainly not this uncertainty about letting him go on loan or not -

Players in -:censored: and Blackman - both seem to fit the bill -but does one month loan help the team -if to give short term cover fine - but when they are straight in first team choices what happens to the long term expectation -get on to uncle Sam in Blackburn and tie them up for the season

Then of course there is short term contracts - not sure what that means, except to give cover to the squad for injuries ie Gilbert - (that does of course raise the question of Lomax, if he cannot step in as cover why is he still with us) - but whats the sense in having Byfield on the books when Blackman is obviously preferred -

I rate DP as a manager I just hope he is not bowing to the pressure , from the board and the fans, for instant results

over the need to build a team. Or perhaps I really don't understand!!!!

The problem you seem to have is not understanding the concept of a contract.

O'Grady, Alice, Stephens, Lee and Lomax are probably on more money than anyone else would want to pay (if we want rid of them).

The short term contracts could be to either wait until injured players get fit, or to have a gander at players before committing to either a longer term loan or a permanent transfer.

Some good points there.

The problem is that you can't simply dump someone who is in contract without paying it up. For all we know, Rochdale may be paying part or all of O' Grady's wages, and may actually be taking him with a view to buying him, or taking him off our hands or whatever.

Unfortunately when you have players who you don't want but are still in contract, you have find someone to take them off you, or you may as well keep them.

Personally, I don't think O'Grady has been given a fair crack of the whip, as for Allesandra, I think he has some maturing to do yet. And why Stephens can't get any time on the pitch I really don't know.

As for Blackman and :censored:, especially Blackman I think is well worth keeping, he looked really good. But what would we have said if we had got hime till XMas and beyond, and then he turned out to be useless, like that Boro centre-half whatever he was called. Get em in for a month, see if they gel, and then sign up for longer if you like, I say.

Hopefully the Development Squad though, not to mentionthe Reserves, will help with some of the above.

But yes, great point about builidng a squad. We all, manager, fans and board have got to be patient with this. And trust in Penney.

Personaly think ogrady will leave at end of contract. Loaning him out must be the cheaper option. Lewi geting regular starts can only be good for us even if it is 2 leagues below. Stevens needs to be loaned out just think rochdale is the wrong club. Overall i agree with peneys judgement on the players who left on loan. Also agree with what has been said about the short term contracts for byfield a gilbert think he just wants to see them in competitive games before comiting. Imo gilbert should b signed until end of season wereas byfield should be released previding we can keep blackman until end of season. The loan signings is anyones guess. I remember peney saying he prefers long term loans as short term can be disruptive so maybe big sam didnt want to release them for that long but that seems unlikely as i cnt see them being on the brink of first team. Hope we keep both for season :censored: has improved every game upto yet and was man of match for me on sat. And kieron lee is just bewildering how can someone be

Personaly think ogrady will leave at end of contract. Loaning him out must be the cheaper option. Lewi geting regular starts can only be good for us even if it is 2 leagues below. Stevens needs to be loaned out just think rochdale is the wrong club. Overall i agree with peneys judgement on the players who left on loan. Also agree with what has been said about the short term contracts for byfield a gilbert think he just wants to see them in competitive games before comiting. Imo gilbert should b signed until end of season wereas byfield should be released previding we can keep blackman until end of season. The loan signings is anyones guess. I remember peney saying he prefers long term loans as short term can be disruptive so maybe big sam didnt want to release them for that long but that seems unlikely as i cnt see them being on the brink of first team. Hope we keep both for season :censored: has improved every game upto yet and was man of match for me on sat. And kieron lee is just bewildering how can someone be

too good to play for us? Its rediculous. This is the only thing i disagree with peney about overall i agree with all his ins and outs

Edited by davebuckley06

The problem you seem to have is not understanding the concept of a contract.

O'Grady, Alice, Stephens, Lee and Lomax are probably on more money than anyone else would want to pay (if we want rid of them).

The short term contracts could be to either wait until injured players get fit, or to have a gander at players before committing to either a longer term loan or a permanent transfer.

Let me assure you I do understand contracts - I know they can be broken by either side - I also know that to free up assets its sometimes worth terminating the contract and very rarely at the full cost -but to do that you have to be prepared to make some hard decisions - on ability and potential - depending at what stage the players at.

I said I understand short term contracts to cover for injury but I see no reason to give short term contracts to players who it appears do not figure ie byfield

I think this is a bit of a catch 22 situation for the club and Penney at the moment.

It is not cheap to just finish players who have nearly 12 months to run on their contracts (even if we avoid paying the full value of the contract).

I think given half a chance there are a few players who Penney would get rid of tomorrow if he could, Lee, O'Grady, Lomax, Alessandra and Stephens don't appear to be in his first team plans atall and have been either loaned out or bypassed in first team selection by young inexperienced loanees.

I think the writing is on the wall for all the above players at Latics while Penney is in charge, they are all relatively young players with scope to improve, but I suspect it will be away from BP.