no more signings..right or wrong

been a few grumblings since dave penny announced last week that we are going with the squad we have,as there will be no more signings when the loan window opens.

is this right or wrong???

players are low on confidence at present,and our backline is leaking goals and making basic errors every game,but there is nobody waiting in the wings to replace them,so complacency creeps in,and it doesnt matter if you play good or bad,your still playing next game.

i personally,would like us to bring in an experienced keeper to take not so out of the firing line so to speak,let him build his confidence back up in the reserves and maybe he will come good.

i would also like us to sign 2 experienced defenders on loan,to give laurel n hardy a kick in the backside,and maybe help plug our leaky defence.

but why no more signings?? is it penny is happy with his players..or that the owners have put a stop to spending????

been a few grumblings since dave penny announced last week that we are going with the squad we have,as there will be no more signings when the loan window opens.

is this right or wrong???

players are low on confidence at present,and our backline is leaking goals and making basic errors every game,but there is nobody waiting in the wings to replace them,so complacency creeps in,and it doesnt matter if you play good or bad,your still playing next game.

i personally,would like us to bring in an experienced keeper to take not so out of the firing line so to speak,let him build his confidence back up in the reserves and maybe he will come good.

i would also like us to sign 2 experienced defenders on loan,to give laurel n hardy a kick in the backside,and maybe help plug our leaky defence.

but why no more signings?? is it penny is happy with his players..or that the owners have put a stop to spending????

I think that it is the latter.

Either that or DP is stubborn.

Its clear we need at least one CB asap.

i want one centre back to come in and then i think that would be fine and the rest of the team will start to come good in time maybe the new players are still gelling. it mite be that penney is seeing improvements all the time in training and knows that it will start showing on the pitch. as for the centre half i would bring in on loan it would be any body old or young who isnt even necasarily better than what we have just someone at a similar level would be suffice just somebody to push rubes and greegs with the threat of there place being tacken they might wake up a bit. saying that i have no problem with gregan think he has been best player upto now. not saying he has been perfect but he has played well covered plenty of mistakes from other players and just been caught out once or twice usually no more than once in a game there are far more players in the team who make more mistakes.

i would also keep faith in brill. yes he has made some clangers but some of the things he has been blamed for are a joke some people blamed him for the second against swindon when he was left with no chance after hazell swapped allegiance's. he will come good aslong as people get off his back and give him chance to get his form and when the rest of defence and midfield sort them selves out and give him a bit of protection. also the abusing of him at home games is a masterstroke whoever thought of that needs a pat on the back because if theres one thing you should do with a keeper and a young keeper at that who is goin through a rough patch and low on confidence is to get on his back and abuse him. that is surely the best and only way to get his confidence up and get him playing well again so bravo.

(for those who do abuse him that was sarcastic. thought some of the abusers might have trouble working that out)

It's really simple for me. Whilst we remain in the relegation zone, albeit early in the season, it is totally wrong that we are not considering dipping into the transfer market. Seriously dropping into league 2 would be a disaster for latics and it would be a hell of alot harder than most believe to get back up.

Edited by laticsmad

It's really simple for me. Whilst we remain in the relegation zone, albeit early in the season, it is totally wrong that we are not considering dipping into the transfer market. Seriously dropping into league 2 would be a disaster for latics and it would be a hell of alot harder than most believe to get back up.

Not only that-there will be no serious intention of coming back up. Just like with the past relegations, 'the cloth will be cut accordingly,' and mentalities and expectations adjusted.

A large section of the dwindling band of the faithful will lap it all up. They'll have their little derbies with Rochdale and Bury, and some of them will be on here telling us to have patience, explaining how every season is 'a season of consolidation', and demanding to know how we're supposed to compete with the likes of (insert random clubs from the top six of the fourth division at the time).

Just remember that we have no God-given right to beat anybody.

i dont think we have enough strength in depth, eg goalkeeper, strikers,defenders(especially cb's), and because of that players are proly thinking that theres no pressure on them to perform because they are all most gaurenteed to get a starting place. anyone agree?

Yeah agree mate, centre back has been a problem for ages but for some unknown reason penney refuses/or is unable to strengthen this position.

Also i still don't think we have addressed our goalscoring problem, i just can't see where regular goals are gonna come from.

Worryingly for me, i don't really think we have played anyone of note yet and we have struggled.

The present crop of players need to step up to the plate quickly or we DO need to strengthen.