Marketing the club ourselves?

As for an idea to increase attendance....

Come February, when the season has petered out into nothing, how about we sell 'season and a half tickets' for the remainder of this season and all of next, at the cost of little more than (or even equal to) next seasons price alone?

Would exisiting season ticket holders embrace the initiative, buy one, and let a second person essentially attend free (or more likely strike a private deal with the second person in advance) for the rest of the season, thus giving them chance to get 'hooked'? If so, wouldn't attendances rise 50%+ (at least for the end of this season)? Wouldn't the improved atmosphere contribute to them getting 'hooked', as well as increasing other match day revenue? Might we just sell extra season tickets for next season, on the grounds that it would be roughly a tenner a game when including the admission to this seasons latter fixtures (which could admittedly cost the club again come next season, though not definately).

Assuming there would be relatively few 'pay on the days' by this point of the season it wouldn't necessarily cost the club that much....would it? :unsure:

This could be an idea which could be worked on I am sure. The club could encourage those buying to give them to someone else. Anyone of these extra people who then goes on to purchase their own season ticket could then earn a cash back for the person who bought the season and a half ticket, or something along those lines.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about making diplomatic relations with Japan? Students here want to learn more about "soccer" and need to know the history of Oldham rather than just Arsenal and Manure. etc.

There is some untouched talent around these parts that Oldham could also have first pickings should a successful link be made.

Just a thought.

Im doing my best to get my students interested in Oldham but, unfortunately, recently, there is nothing much to be excited about.

As for an idea to increase attendance....

Come February, when the season has petered out into nothing, how about we sell 'season and a half tickets' for the remainder of this season and all of next, at the cost of little more than (or even equal to) next seasons price alone?

Would exisiting season ticket holders embrace the initiative, buy one, and let a second person essentially attend free (or more likely strike a private deal with the second person in advance) for the rest of the season, thus giving them chance to get 'hooked'? If so, wouldn't attendances rise 50%+ (at least for the end of this season)? Wouldn't the improved atmosphere contribute to them getting 'hooked', as well as increasing other match day revenue? Might we just sell extra season tickets for next season, on the grounds that it would be roughly a tenner a game when including the admission to this seasons latter fixtures (which could admittedly cost the club again come next season, though not definately).

Assuming there would be relatively few 'pay on the days' by this point of the season it wouldn't necessarily cost the club that much....would it? :unsure:

The downside might be if they struck a deal with somebody who was going to come anyway and pays on the day - the reckoning is about 3000 STs at the mo, and we seem to be getting 1000 pay on the day - we could be looking at losing 1000 x £18 per game, x what 6 games left (from 1st game in march) = £108,000

A bit risky?

How about send ST holders a ticket for each of the last 2 games for them to give away - assuming we've nothing to play for? Or if we still have something to play for 2 discount vouchers for £8 off (or £6?) to make it £10 in advance, and kids fors £1 each with the offer?

Charlton might be an iffy one though - they might want to bring a lot. Maybe do it for the penultimate 3 games - Gillingham, Bristol R, Southend?

And if it boosts gates enough we only give Charlton one part of the RRE (not sure which though)?

Or last 4 games for £40 ? Kids £1 each with offer?

You ripped into my suggestion for 3 for £30...

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...st&p=326184

No, I "ripped into" your costings as you said it would only need 25 fans, when the true figure was nearer 2750 (iirc?).

As you'll see above I have made similar assumptions to those in which I corrected your suggestion - moderated on the basis of end of season; lower interest in attending etc.

Did you miss this bit "we could be looking at losing 1000 x £18 per game, x what 6 games left (from 1st game in march) = £108,000"

Edited by real

No, I "ripped into" your costings as you said it would only need 25 fans, when the true figure was nearer 2750 (iirc?).

As you'll see above I have made similar assumptions to those in which I corrected your suggestion - moderated on the basis of end of season; lower interest in attending etc.

Did you miss this bit "we could be looking at losing 1000 x £18 per game, x what 6 games left (from 1st game in march) = £108,000"

It felt as you was ripping into the overall idea... The overall idea was the important part of my whole thread... The exacts where coupled together in less than 20 seconds...

Edited by oafc0000

It felt as you was ripping into the overall idea... The overall idea was the important part of my whole thread... The exacts where coupled together in less than 20 seconds...

You need to learn to read things properly then, I said nothing about the viability of 3 for £30 (although I think it wouldn't necessarily be a good idea at this point in the season), just the costings. I gave you some more accurate ones to wrok with. And you need to be less sensitive. An idea that is implemented with incorrect costings can lead to the death of a business.

If you look at my 4 for £40, it contains a number of suggestions each with a different likely cost, from 2 games, to 3, to 4 - you should look at a range and decide how much risk you can afford against how much you might gain.

A thorough marketing strategy will range from ideas that are low cost/low impact through to high cost/high impact; with

the extremes being at a point where implementation is inappropriate. That way you establish the range of implementable initiatives.

And you need to be less sensitive. An idea that is implemented with incorrect costings can lead to the death of a business.

It was the bit about covering loses which pissed me off...

As for a death of the business... I agree but I am just a fan trying to help, raise the idea and let people who are paid to do that job take them forward or drop them... I have not got time to run the marketing for the club and to cost everything perfectly...

I still think it is a good idea... As the 4 for £40... but no point in doing it until we fix some of the things what are putting people off coming to BP...

I understand the club will be doing something in the next two weeks... They better improve things like catering otherwise I doubt it will work...

Edited by oafc0000

This 3 for £30 or 4 for £40 or whatever deal is a short term thing only and will only get people coming back through the turnstyles on a temporary basis, the whole matchday experience needs reviewing for people to come back on a regular basis, something I feel won't happen whilst we are still at BP, see 0000's reasons from last night, they all need addressing before old and new punters make BP/ Failsworth a regular thing.

see 0000's reasons from last night, they all need addressing before old and new punters make BP/ Failsworth a regular thing.

Exactly...

People say, why do you bother to keep posting if you do not come... Would people rather me and other stay aways just disappear and leave you all wondering what the problems are and why wont people come any more?

It has little to do with product on the pitch I feel...

Edited by oafc0000

Do you work in financial analysis by any chance, real?

Sort of. Retraining in my 40s.

0000 - Thing is, if you'd gone to the club with the idea and said you'd meet the losses, you'd be hugely out of pocket, exepcting just £750 lost. It also makes people think the club is being resistant when they don't implement ideas theat "seem" to be good. It'd be better to know it could cost £12,000 a game for 1500 fans at £10 (£18-£10) or £27,000 for 1500 free.

I don't know if whoever suggested the big screen/scoreboard has replied with a cost, but I'm willing to bet the revenue from it would never meet the costs, certainly not with current crowds. And to be honest probably never at any level, unless they can be had really cheap thesedays.

0000 - Thing is, if you'd gone to the club with the idea

I would of said I have an idea... 3 for £30 during a period when people traditional do not have money... Advertise it on a billboard or two... Over to you...

If I was going to present costings I would of put far more thought in it. I know you have this impression I know feck all about business / marketing but your off the mark. I also realise I have not helped that cause with some of my posts :)

Lets draw a line...

Edited by oafc0000

I would of said I have an idea... 3 for £30 during a period when people traditional do not have money... Advertise it on a billboard or two... Over to you...

If I was going to present costings I would of put far more thought in it. I know you have this impression I know feck all about business / marketing but your off the mark. I also realise I have not helped that cause with some of my posts :)

Lets draw a line...

3 for £30 is a pretty average idea. Where is the innovation in coupling slashed prices with hard advertising? :unsure: Yes crowds could go up for these games but it could well result in a loss without much other gain, as I feel only fairly regular attendees would attend anyway. Wigan don't really need the gate money, they just want to swell their gates for other reasons, and have Premiership football to promote to potential new fans.

The proposal I laid out had the aim of attracting new/lapsed fans with free tickets for 8/9 games - it's a promotion run in conjunction with Season Ticket holders. They pay early and the club gives up a large portion of it's pay on the day revenue. There is the cost. I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not, but your/Wigan's proposal would just save exisitng supporters a butty at the expense of the club, in my opinion. That is negative marketing. As usual you will rubbish my opinion, but look at the 'results' of previous, similar initiatives to see why I hold it.

On the contrary, average was complimentary. :grin: It certainly wasn't an idea worth banging your drum over for days. You haven't even attempted to adapt your (or should that be their?) idea to take account of the obvious flaws which you have forced Real and others to highlight.

Yes [ 40 ] [86.96%]

No [ 6 ] [13.04%]

Your entitled to your own personal opinion though...

Yes [ 40 ] [86.96%]

No [ 6 ] [13.04%]

Your entitled to your own personal opinion though...

It's bound to be a good idea in the eyes of the consumer, after all we are just customers buying a product! :wink:

I, on the other hand, am a supporter. Therefore I look at it from the clubs point of view

Next! :lol:

It's bound to be a good idea in the eyes of the consumer, after all we are just customers buying a product! :wink:

I, on the other hand, am a supporter. Therefore I look at it from the clubs point of view

Next! :lol:

The whole idea was to increase attendances long term... You missed the whole point anyway...

Next...

Stop being such a tit about it....

Edited by oafc0000

The whole idea was to increase attendances long term... You missed the whole point anyway...

Next...

Stop being such a tit....

Wasn't the 'whole' point that Latics should copy Wigan and impliment a (:censored:) loss leader? Yep, thought so. I didn't miss the whole point, you missed all the subtle points (as per usual).

Now remind me, what do they say about those who resort to abuse during debate?

Wasn't the 'whole' point that Latics should copy Wigan and impliment a (:censored:) loss leader? Yep, thought so. I didn't miss the whole point, you missed all the subtle points (as per usual).

The whole thing would not make a loss if it was taken up... Reals attendance numbers where wrong for a start....

You DID miss the whole point... Even if it made a loss over three games, the idea is to boost attendance long term...

Now remind me, what do they say about those who resort to abuse during debate?

Lately you have decided to get real personal with me... You not like it when someone throws it back ?

its all well and good coming up with marketing ideas

but what is the point this season? we are not going to attract many new fans this season

we need a team on the pitch doing the business first - then the crowds will return and we will attract more fans