Marketing the club ourselves?

Oh, and if TTA sell their shares, I'm not familiar with the details of the set-up of OAFC (2004) but would the new buyer have to buy the Trust's minority shareholding?

Isnt that just in relation to a PLC? A private company can hold any share structure it sees fit ?

Edited by oafc0000

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whatever happened to "open days" when we (as kids) watched the team training on clayton playing fields,getting autographs and photos(given by the club),and has a bit of a kickabout with them?

when they used to turn up at your school?

you FELT part of the club...it wasn't a "them and us" feeling like it can be now.

its all missing now.

When I read that, at first I thought - hah what a silly nostalgic view. Than I realised how wrong a reaction that was. I don't in truth recall players coming in to any school I was at, but did the players d this? Do they ever do it now?

It would be a cheap(ish) step in the right direction. Not just for us, but for football in general. maybe players turning up and telling kids how it is - not all premier league and fast cars, that there's only a few places on the lucky bus, but if you work hard or get very lucky you can do ok?

One things for certain - kids will be the future of the club. Whichever way it turns out.

Isnt that just in relation to a PLC? A private company can hold any share structure it sees fit ?

Depends on what the shares bring with them I think? More making the point that I'm not sure what point the Trust would have in holding a nominal asset, especially as the very time that asset would be needed, ie another Domesday, said investment would be worth 3% of jack :censored:

I'm sure you've told me specifically that the Trust HAS to exist to keep money for a rainy day Rich? And made specific points several times that it would be earning interest?

Oh, and if TTA sell their shares, I'm not familiar with the details of the set-up of OAFC (2004) but would the new buyer have to buy the Trust's minority shareholding? And if the minority shareholding is worth having, would we want the club to be sold to new owners about whom we know little without it being left in place?

The Trust has to exist to keep the shares rolling and afloat. I do not know all the legal obligations surrounding the shares, that is left in the hands of one of the UK's leading legal professionals who is the first chair of the Trust and current Trust Director.

Depends on what the shares bring with them I think? More making the point that I'm not sure what point the Trust would have in holding a nominal asset, especially as the very time that asset would be needed, ie another Domesday, said investment would be worth 3% of jack :censored:

Well in real terms the 3% counts for nothing... I would imagine... They are just ordinary shares arent they ?

Edited by oafc0000

When I read that, at first I thought - hah what a silly nostalgic view. Than I realised how wrong a reaction that was. I don't in truth recall players coming in to any school I was at, but did the players d this? Do they ever do it now?

It would be a cheap(ish) step in the right direction. Not just for us, but for football in general. maybe players turning up and telling kids how it is - not all premier league and fast cars, that there's only a few places on the lucky bus, but if you work hard or get very lucky you can do ok?

One things for certain - kids will be the future of the club. Whichever way it turns out.

i'm talking in the days of alan groves, david shaw, up to simon stainrod and rodger wylde (who i both met as a snotty 14 year old on more than one occasion).

players used to come to my secondary school(crompton house) for things like the football team winning a trophy, one of the lads winning an award etc.

no newspaper opportunity..all about keeping the club a profile in the community,with an handful of match tickets to boot.

i'm talking in the days of alan groves, david shaw, up to simon stainrod and rodger wylde (who i both met as a snotty 14 year old on more than one occasion).

players used to come to my secondary school(crompton house) for things like the football team winning a trophy, one of the lads winning an award etc.

no newspaper opportunity..all about keeping the club a profile in the community,with an handful of match tickets to boot.

Some things never change Johnny :wink:

Fancy a lift to Gillingham on saturday with me & J?

Cheers,

Harry

I hate to make such generalisations, but can people who frequent bus stops and phone boxes afford Latics these days?

I'd like a billboard, and I thought Wozz's idea of erecting a billboard on the hospital grounds was simplistic genius! Considering there is an agreement in place over the carpark surely something can be agreed?

Other than for that it is my belief that the only thing worth marketing by Latics is a promotion, season tickets, etc (which they do).

Just spotted Yard Dog's post after posting my own - agree with that, especially the kids part.

I wonder if there is any supporters out there with the skill to make us our own billboard for free. They could advertise their business on the board too below the advert for the next game.

Some things never change Johnny :wink:

Fancy a lift to Gillingham on saturday with me & J?

Cheers,

Harry

unfortunately / fortunately (delete as appropriate!) i'm off to londaaan on business.

very large record fair going on there this weekend and i need new stock.

cheers for the offer though !

i frequent buses on a very regular basis...through choice.its nowt to do with " not affording latics"..

look what a mess thats left latics in!

kids are the future when it comes to latics keeping going.

whatever happened to "open days" when we (as kids) watched the team training on clayton playing fields,getting autographs and photos(given by the club),and has a bit of a kickabout with them?

when they used to turn up at your school?

you FELT part of the club...it wasn't a "them and us" feeling like it can be now.

its all missing now.

Whilst confident that many people who can afford to go to Latics do use buses, I'm also confident that there is a correlation between people regulary on the bus and people with low disposable income. Anyway, for whatever reason, I don't think a bus-stop campaign would increase attendance. Latics don't need to 'market', everybody knows about us, many even check for results; they just don't want to pay to watch us. Adverts wont change that - the only thing that will change it markets itself.

So, Latics are in a mess, but it isn't because of a lack of local advertisement. You should go and read Corporal Jones' posts. :wink:

Ed, I never lambasted anybody over suggesting a billboad - wrong poster mate.

Edited by Stitch_KTF

So, Latics are in a mess, but it isn't because of a lack of local advertisement. You should go and read Corporal Jones' posts. :wink:

Marketing is only a small part of the game... If you can not retain the current support then no amount of marketing will work as once they get into the ground they wont come back...

There needs to be a two fold attack... Fix the reasons that have made me and others walk away recently...and market to get new support in...

As for an idea to increase attendance....

Come February, when the season has petered out into nothing, how about we sell 'season and a half tickets' for the remainder of this season and all of next, at the cost of little more than (or even equal to) next seasons price alone?

Would exisiting season ticket holders embrace the initiative, buy one, and let a second person essentially attend free (or more likely strike a private deal with the second person in advance) for the rest of the season, thus giving them chance to get 'hooked'? If so, wouldn't attendances rise 50%+ (at least for the end of this season)? Wouldn't the improved atmosphere contribute to them getting 'hooked', as well as increasing other match day revenue? Might we just sell extra season tickets for next season, on the grounds that it would be roughly a tenner a game when including the admission to this seasons latter fixtures (which could admittedly cost the club again come next season, though not definately).

Assuming there would be relatively few 'pay on the days' by this point of the season it wouldn't necessarily cost the club that much....would it? :unsure:

Marketing is only a small part of the game... If you can not retain the current support then no amount of marketing will work as once they get into the ground they wont come back...

There needs to be a two fold attack... Fix the reasons that have made me and others walk away recently...and market to get new support in...

May I ask when it was when you stopped going, just for my own curiosity more than anything.

More the last seven games / sacking of shez to be frank... but I have other reasons I recently can not be arsed...

Thought so then with no internationals over the closed season gave you time to analyse the season, are you suprised at the league position at the moment? where do you see this season going?

Thought so then with no internationals over the closed season gave you time to analyse the season, are you suprised at the league position at the moment? where do you see this season going?

Team in transition... Mid table realistically... Top ten would be a good finish... Play offs would be excellent!

Edited by oafc0000

Am I imagining this or did the club not have themselves advertised in the center of London at one point? Cant remember the name of the place but its where all the lighted signs are (alongside Tdk/coca cola) things like that. If so what was this in aid of?

It was the Coca-Cola League - every club popped up . You don;t really think the club paid for space at Piccadilly Circus, the most expensive advertising space in the country, do you? Next up a slot in the advert break in the X Factor final

Team in transition... Mid table realistically... Top ten would be a good finish... Play offs would be excellent!

We're in the top ten, just last in 10th place on goal difference, a win and a draw off the play offs, we're where you want to be so whats the problem? the quality of football? even premiership clubs have bad days.

Noted reason for edit.

We're in the top ten, just last in 10th place on goal difference, a win and a draw off the play offs, we're where you want to be so whats the problem? the quality of football? even premiership clubs have bad days.

Noted reason for edit.

I am not coming because of the league position / league we are playing in... If that was the case I would of stopped coming many years ago...

Here are the reasons (in no order)

• Decision to sack Shez - Dont fancy supporting another manager for three years for the board to sack him with 7 crucial games to go
  • The board seem to have stopped caring what I think - its all about a exit strategy (this is my opinon)
  • Lack of atmosphere
  • Lack of unity / infighting between the fans
  • Horrible environment to watch football - cold, windy, three sided dump
  • Sick of not being able to buy food at half time
  • Big games moved to night - Leeds... I end up not being able to go
  • Destruction of lookers robbed me of somewhere to take my nephew - aka Boundary Blues club house
  • The price... I travel from Warrington

I have more...

I am not coming because of the league position / league we are playing in... If that was the case I would of stopped coming many years ago...

Here are the reasons (in no order)

• Decision to sack Shez - Dont fancy supporting another manager for three years for the board to sack him with 7 crucial games to go
  • The board seem to have stopped caring what I think - its all about a exit strategy (this is my opinon)
  • Lack of atmosphere
  • Lack of unity / infighting between the fans
  • Horrible environment to watch football - cold, windy, three sided dump
  • Sick of not being able to buy food at half time
  • Big games moved to night - Leeds... I end up not being able to go
  • Destruction of lookers robbed me of somewhere to take my nephew - aka Boundary Blues club house
  • The price... I travel from Warrington

I have more...

Theres no room for debate on any of them really from where I'm sat. Cheers