Furman eyes world cup spot :lol:

Sky Sports:

Oldham Athletic midfielder Dean Furman has set his sights on winning a place in the South Africa squad for this summer's World Cup.

The 21-year-old has been called up to the squad before, but has not yet managed to earn his first cap for his country.

However, the former Rangers youngster admits that he would love to feature for his country on home soil at the prestigious tournament this summer.

"I think that every player's dream is to play at the World Cup and with South Africa being the host nation, it makes it even more unbelievable for me to get into the squad for it," Furman told skysports.com.

"All I can do is keep playing well for Oldham and hope that someone is watching at the other end."

There was a time when international footballers were only selected from the top leagues around the world, but the likes of Patrick Kisnorbo and Christian Dailly have helped raise the profile of the lower leagues in England, and Furman is hoping he can add his name to that ever-growing list.

He added: "The Championship is a very strong division and League One is getting more competitive every year as big sides like Leeds, Norwich and Southampton continue to drop down.

"So, it does boast some quality players including a number of internationals, which has helped raise the profile of the division."

Sky Sports:

Oldham Athletic midfielder Dean Furman has set his sights on winning a place in the South Africa squad for this summer's World Cup.

The 21-year-old has been called up to the squad before, but has not yet managed to earn his first cap for his country.

However, the former Rangers youngster admits that he would love to feature for his country on home soil at the prestigious tournament this summer.

"I think that every player's dream is to play at the World Cup and with South Africa being the host nation, it makes it even more unbelievable for me to get into the squad for it," Furman told skysports.com.

"All I can do is keep playing well for Oldham and hope that someone is watching at the other end."

There was a time when international footballers were only selected from the top leagues around the world, but the likes of Patrick Kisnorbo and Christian Dailly have helped raise the profile of the lower leagues in England, and Furman is hoping he can add his name to that ever-growing list.

He added: "The Championship is a very strong division and League One is getting more competitive every year as big sides like Leeds, Norwich and Southampton continue to drop down.

"So, it does boast some quality players including a number of internationals, which has helped raise the profile of the division."

Is this a new article?

If not its been posted on here about 100 times

So a reporter asks him if he'd like to play for his country the year they're hosting the World Cup.

What's he supposed to say? "Yeah, I'd like to, but I'm playing pretty poorly and the whole team's struggling, so I can't see it happening."

Can't blame a guy for his response; I'm sure he knows that his own and the club's form aren't doing him any favours.

I for one think Furman is a good player who will come good. I wasn't the only one who thought he looked excellent when he first came in, he was highly thought of at Rangers, and Stuart McCall and the Bradford fans were openly mortified when they failed to sign him.

Maybe Penney/Gray aren't getting the best out of him. He would hardly be the only one now, would he? <_<

Ive been out in South Africa for a few weeks and I have been watching a few local games,

Gotta say the standard of football is very poor,

I watched Orlando Pirates last night and it was the first time they had scored for 2 months,

I think Furman does have a chance of going as South Africa's squad isnt very strong tbh

I for one think Furman is a good player who will come good. I wasn't the only one who thought he looked excellent when he first came in, he was highly thought of at Rangers, and Stuart McCall and the Bradford fans were openly mortified when they failed to sign him.

Maybe Penney/Gray aren't getting the best out of him. He would hardly be the only one now, would he? <_<

Couldn't agree more. He's a 21 year old lad who shows more promise than his peers (hello Lewis, Deane!), has done enough to impress both Chelsea and Rangers - who wanted to keep him - and has actually shown he can turn promise into results with his spell at Bradford. He was and could still be a serious contender for his country's national side (having been selected for the squad) - admittedly not the best side in the world, but on a par with Wales and historically much higher.

To write him off now and look to get shot would be a criminal mistake. Genuine potential (not Chris Hall-esque "scored loads of goals for the youth/ressies" promise), and needs time to show it. Yeah, he's not set the world alight the last few months, but who exactly has at the club?