Irish League Game on Monday Night on Sky Sports

Just read the 3G pitch thread and thought I’d start a new one so this didn’t get lost in the 3G pitch posts:

Anyone else watch the game and think; as I did, that 2 players for Crusaders and 1 from Glenavon would be worth a call to pop over for a trial; those being:

Crusaders:

• Coates - the CB & Captain; has 1 full N.I Cap too picked up whilst playing in the Irish League. Commanding; strong in the tackle and in the air; Looks a born leader and a 'tough but fair' hard-man at the back.

• Donnelly - ex Sheff Utd youth player; LM / LW - its the 2nd time I’ve seen him play on the TV (N.I U-21 game earlier this season being the other) - very small height wise (I’d guess 5ft5 to 5ft7 bracket) but very good feet, good delivery with his left foot, quick and composed finish to score the 1st goal.

Glenavon:

• Davey – LB but basically was running the left side of their team; constantly got to the touch-line and delivered some pretty decent balls. Commentators said he’d played in America and was fresh back from that; looked composed on ball.

I'd have no idea whether fees would ultimately be involved but I was impressed with all 3; but particularly the 2 from Crusaders (albeit from my couch). 'On a budget' as we will be next season (regardless of division we’re in); I feel these type of signing could well be the way forward?

Thoughts anyone?

I thought the lad on the opposite flank for crusaders ( Mcmaster? ) showed promise too, again lightweight but good turn of pace and seemed to cause problems.

..sod that. If TV has taught us nothing this week it is to ask Rubin Kazan if they'll loan out Araz Abdullayev.

Colin Coates, NI International, not good enough for the (old) third division? Shome mishtake shurely? :huh:

He played 1 game for Norn Ireland against an Italy B Team back in June ,he hasn't appeared near the Norn Ireland team since.

Leeds where sniffing around him last summer but didn't take it any further.

• 2 months later...
..sod that. If TV has taught us nothing this week it is to ask Rubin Kazan if they'll loan out Araz Abdullayev.

I'll try not to look good on this one, but the lad's now at Everton and well worth asking the loan question. Probably 18 now, and can shift Taylor on the right.

Come on manager X, get your arse in gear. :wink:

I doubt any player from the Northern Ireland league is good enough for any English Football League team at the moment.

If there is a gem to be unearthed, they usually get picked up by the scouting systems of the English clubs before they start playing week in week out over there.

Occasional exceptions to the rule perhaps. But not many.

Edited by opinions4u