Psychological factor of three-sided stadium

Apologies if this has come up before, but over a pint last night I was thinking about the psychological factor of having a three sided stadium...

I was wondering how it would affect Latics, the opposition, and home and away fans.

As far as I see it, if someone knocked down a quarter of the building where I worked I'd feel like a bit of a loser compared to any rival companies. It must be the same for footballers, seeing their ground crumble can't be doing any favours for how they play.

Then from the point of view of opposition, if you walk out of the tunnel and the first thing you see is an abandoned building site you'd have to be thinking "we can take this lot..."

I'm sure it inspires visiting fans to take the pi** out of us too.

So how many points has the knocked stand cost us?

Or am I totally blowing it out of proportion and we're just playing rubbish anyway.

Over to any budding psychologists out there...

I read something a few years ago that said amongst other things that the home side tend to produce more testosterone than the visitors, it’s not out of the question that if they don’t feel like they are at home they would lose some edge from it.

IIRC it also said that teams in red tend to produce more as well, getting an advantage, the bastards.

I read something a few years ago that said amongst other things that the home side tend to produce more testosterone than the visitors, it’s not out of the question that if they don’t feel like they are at home they would lose some edge from it.

IIRC it also said that teams in red tend to produce more as well, getting an advantage, the bastards.

I'm certainly no expert but I think if you have a crappy looking stadium it has to make you play, well, a bit more crappily...

Perhaps.

People believe that a new stadium can give a side a boost, then the opposite should also be true - which would be what we have done.

Also I'd guess that the bits we can see are getting run down and tatty, then you'd think the behind the scenes bits are the same. All of this could have a negative impact on your self belief etc.

There again..

Didn't Blackpool get promotion with at least one stand missing?

Didn't Arsenal win the title with the mural clock end?

Perhaps.

People believe that a new stadium can give a side a boost, then the opposite should also be true - which would be what we have done.

Also I'd guess that the bits we can see are getting run down and tatty, then you'd think the behind the scenes bits are the same. All of this could have a negative impact on your self belief etc.

There again..

Didn't Blackpool get promotion with at least one stand missing?

Didn't Arsenal win the title with the mural clock end?

yup...didnt upset blackpool one bit did it....and look where they are now....so you could say they played it right....only building the new stand once they had gained promotion and had an upturn in crowds...

The fact there are no trains to Oldham will affect attendances more than a stand missing.

As for the players they should be used to the ground being colder and should use it to their advantage. I'm not sure how. Maybe give the opposition slaps on their cold skin or chinese burns. Can I still call them Chinese burns?

Turning the heating off in the away dressing room...unwire the plaugs so no hot drinks...steal the deep heat too...

Reminds me of when the dug-outs were moved to the top of the paddocks (a move driven by Big Joe wanted a better view of the game - very few managers since have used it and instead stand on the touchline).

At the same time the seats were heated (oh how I wish it was the same in the Chaddy) and there was an article on it on Football Focus before an Arsenal home game which ended with the camera panning to the away dug out to show 5 plastic chairs